this might be a toughy, so I need some help...

does anyone know how is is possible to take my 1x15 combo amp and run it with a 2x10 cab using both the 1x15 and the 2x10, when you plug into the line out, it cuts out the 15 inch speaker, so normal methods won't be possible...I think...

thanks for the help!

-Kyle
Quote by Inahrima

Kirk: you know what would be hardcore?
James: what?
Kirk: metallica nail polish!
James:

Quote by grimreaper65

'Scuse me, i'm going to go listen to some black metal bands sing about black people. Then some grindcore about coffee.
It's possible, but it could damage your amp. What is the impedance rating on the amp and each speaker? What amp are you using?
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CorduroyEW
It's possible, but it could damage your amp. What is the impedance rating on the amp and each speaker? What amp are you using?

I have a crate bt50 amp, 8ohm 15" speaker

I don't know what cab I want to get, it was some 2x10 at my local store, but I don't remember the model
Quote by Inahrima

James:

Quote by grimreaper65

'Scuse me, i'm going to go listen to some black metal bands sing about black people. Then some grindcore about coffee.
bump
Quote by Inahrima

James:

Quote by grimreaper65

Your best bet would be to get a cab with two 4 ohm speakers. That way, when you use just the cab without your 15" speaker you can have 8 ohm which is a match for your amp. If you are unning all 3 speakers then run the 2 in your extra cab in parallel with each other but in series with your 15" speaker. This will give you 10 ohms which is close enough to 8ohms that it won't damage your amp.
wait so I've gotta split the signal before it gets to an amp and then send one to an amp and another to the cab? that's not gonna work in the cab, will it?
Quote by Inahrima

James:

Quote by grimreaper65

^not what I'm saying at all.

The + side of both your 12" speakers should be wired together and the negative side of both 12" speakers should be wired together. That puts them in parallel with each other and they will be running at 2 ohms.

The singnal needs to leave your amp and run into the + side of your amps 15" speaker. The signal then leaves the - side of that speaker and will be run to the + side of one 12" speaker. Now the signal leaves the - side of that speaker and heads back to the amp.

To make this work you will need to rewire the output jack on your amp AND you will have to add a second one in searies with the 1st one.
rewiring the output jack will enable it NOT to cut off the speakers when I send a signal out of it, correct?
Quote by Inahrima

James:

Quote by grimreaper65

right now...when I plug anything into the line out of my guitar, the signal in the speaker cuts out, so there's no way I would be able to, right now, run the speaker in my combo and another cab at the same time
Quote by Inahrima

James:

Quote by grimreaper65

The speaker out and the line out are not the same thing. You have to rewire your speaker jack and add another one in series with the 1st one.
O.O uhhhh...****...I don't know my terminology very much...where's the speaker out? is it on the speaker? where can I get another speaker jack?
Quote by Inahrima

James:

Quote by grimreaper65

the speaker on your can plugs into the speaker out. It's possible it does it with a 1/4" jack but it's also possible it'll do it with in some other way. Just follow the 2 wires connected to your speaker back untill they connect to your amp.

Any electronics store will have the 1/4" jack you need so I'd make a quck stop at radio shack if I were you, but before you buy the jack you are going to want to figure out exactly how you want this thing set up so that you can decide if you want any switches or anything at the same time.

Have you read the cabnet building tutorial in this forum? Search for it and then give it a read. It was on the front page of this forum about a week ago.
It would easily be possible to do the wiring, the thing is to find out what your amp can handle and work out the best combination for it. Usually bass amps are rated for 4 ohms allowing for two 8 ohm cabs in parallel (having cabs in parallel halves the rating, series doubles it). However, considering that yours cuts out that speaker it might be rated at 8ohms, but on the other hand it might just be a protective measure.

Ring up crate and ask them if it can handle 4 ohms.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
I just got an idea...what if I clipped the red and black wires going from my speaker to the "head" part of my combo and put a quarter inch jack at the end of them, then I could use my headphone output to connect those and my other line out to connect a second set of speakers

ehhh?
Quote by Inahrima

James:

Quote by grimreaper65

Last edited by wylde_guy at Oct 26, 2007,
bump
Quote by Inahrima

James:

Quote by grimreaper65