Page 1 of 2
The stock pickups aren't quite what I was after. I did, after all, buy the guitar because I was advised that sticking new pickups in it would make it a fantastic piece of kit. That was always the plan.

Well, with Birthday and Christmas approaching, I want to start looking at what to get. I might just for now replace the two humbuckers and leave the single coil for now.

I'm looking for much more "oomph" in the sound. It's perhaps a little thin, especially with the bridge pickup. Something well suited for Metallica/Megadeth would be ideal.

Actives - I've heard that, for one, you can't mix 'em with passives, and for another that they require the guitar body to be chopped about a little to fit the pre-amp in (this is according the guy in the guitar shop who's going to do the replacement work for me), so, unless that's false, I don't want actives. If it's bollocks, and you can fit them as easily as passives then I'll probably go for an 81/85 combo and then get an active single coil too.

So, assuming actives are out of the window - what's a good combo of passives for a nice heavy distorted sound with more oomph, more crunch. Better harmonics would be an added bonus, but it's not top priority.

I was thinking about a DiMazio ToneZone in the bridge to counter the mosquito effect, but I've got no idea if that's what I want - all the sound samples seem to be of solos, so it's hard to guage how good the pickups are at riffing. Is the ToneZone a good choice, what would be a good combo to stick in the neck?

Cheers.
i'm guessing you're in the UK with a user name like "stilton cheese"? what kind of budget are you talking, and what's your amp?

also, the emg's should fit ok, but the tech is right about it being a pain to wire for both actives and passives. Of course, if your tech is adamant that they won't fit, you're going to have a devil of a job convincing him. But i'm sure several people from on here have EMG's in an RG (erock has it, i'm almost sure).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Aye, in the uk. Budget - flexible, I wouldn't want to spend more than £120 per pickup.

Amp, unfortunately, a Spider II, but that may change at some point. I'm sure that people will say it's pointless getting new pikcups now, but I've got a plan in my head of how I want things to go. So, I kindly ask that there be no comments about getting a new amp first. That's all taken into consideration anyway.

He's fairly adamant that you can't fit actives without digging extra holes in the body, for some reason. He only advises against mixing with passives due to volume differences.
If he won't mix active and passive pickups, then get DiMarzio D-Activators. They're passive pickups made to sound as if they're active.
Gear:
Jackson Pro Series DK2 Dinky (Eerie Dess Swirl)
Ibanez XPT700 Xiphos (Chameleon Red) =D

Crate FXT65 amp with 3-way foot switch
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
ToneZone/Breed and use the single coil in the middle for clean sounds
Quote by StiltonCheese
He's fairly adamant that you can't fit actives without digging extra holes in the body, for some reason. He only advises against mixing with passives due to volume differences.

to be honest, I'd be wary of him... i mean, actives use different value pots to passives, which means positions 2+4 will be messed up, and you'd need to rewire the tone knob as a volume knob for the active pickups. I'm not a "tech", and even I know that. Also, from all i hear, the battery should fit in the electronics cavity fine (though don't quote me on that).

Probably best if you PM Erock503 to see what he says. I'll try to get him to check in here.

for the pickups, assuming you don't go active, I'd seriously consider either bareknuckles or bulldogs. I haven't tried bulldogs, but hear great things (run by a guy who used to work for bareknuckle), and bareknuckles are great, I have tried those. if you ask me, dimarzio and duncans are ridiculously expensive in the UK, and you can get better for cheaper (or much better for very slightly more) but obviously that's my opinion.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by MurderWorship
If he won't mix active and passive pickups, then get DiMarzio D-Activators. They're passive pickups made to sound as if they're active.

Are they good in both bridge and neck?

I'll consider ToneZone/Breed, too.

A bit warey of barenuckles having never hear dof them or read anything about them, but I'll look into them.

Any good sites which'll have a nice selection? GAK seems to lack DiMarzios so I cant check the prices.
well, my bareknuckle set brutally pwns my duncans in my edwards, but it's up to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by StiltonCheese
Are they good in both bridge and neck?

I'll consider ToneZone/Breed, too.

A bit warey of barenuckles having never hear dof them or read anything about them, but I'll look into them.

Any good sites which'll have a nice selection? GAK seems to lack DiMarzios so I cant check the prices.

A quick search of the internet and you'll find rave reviews for Bareknuckle, some of the nicest pickups you can get anywhere.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Give the Air Norton in the neck a try out, it's a wonderful pickup especially when through a high gain amp, it produces really smooth lead lines. Seconded on Bareknuckles btw, fantastic pickups, just so expensive.
Bareknuckles are well worth it if you fork out for them, they come at around £100 per pickup.

If I'm not mistaken, you can e-mail the owner and he very kindly directs you to what pickup would suit you more.

By the sounds of your post, I think a set of Warpigs would do you good, plenty of 'oomph' as you put it, crystal clear harmonics. They are designed more towards basswood guitars as well, to give you more balance.

I've got some in my RG1570, and it sounds great, albeit they're the only pickups i've tried.
Can't actually find anywhere in the UK, online at least, selling DiMarzios, so I guess they're out of the question. :S
Quote by StiltonCheese
Can't actually find anywhere in the UK, online at least, selling DiMarzios, so I guess they're out of the question. :S

www.thomann.de

They're still a bit overpriced in anywhere out of the states, though...
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
eh, the (non warpig) bareknuckles generally come in between £80 and £90 if you don't need a cover, i mean how much does a dimarzio go for? I've seen them go for £70-£75 on www.stringsdirect.co.uk...

if you don't think you're being gipped on DM's in the UK, check musicians friend's website (or sam ash or music 123) to see how much they go for in the states...

EDIT: ^ yeah, if you must go dimarzio or duncan, thomann or similar would be your best bet. still not cheap (i'd take swineys over them and they're £7-£8 cheaper per pickup), but at least not as blatant a rip-off as in the UK.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Oct 16, 2007,
^ Woah, the US get them half the price ( $75 = £37 right?)

That's rather ridiculous IMO.

EDIT: Ah, only checked that one site for the UK, you can get them for around £50-55 in some places, not so bad.
Last edited by buckethead_jr at Oct 16, 2007,
Oh I love Dimarzios. So much cheaper than Duncans and they sound so much better.
DRAGONFORCE IS THE HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN
Ah, Thomann has D Activators for around £53 a piece, and considering they're meant to mimic active tones, I'm edging towards them. The prices I've seen on Barenuckles, looking just now on GAK and other places, are fairly high - £99 a piece - compared to the DiMarzios.

I'll havce a good hard think and have a quick scout around for sound samples too.

Thanks for the advice so far guys, keep it coming. Keep in mind that I'm edging towards 2 D-Activators - could this be a mistake? Should I stick a D-Activator in the Bridge and go for something else at the neck?
I've heard alot of good things about the D-Activators but I've never heard a direct comparison to EMGs.

Quote by buckethead_jr

Got both of mine for $60 a piece brand new. Hows that for ridiculous?
Quote by Dave_Mc
to be honest, I'd be wary of him... i mean, actives use different value pots to passives, which means positions 2+4 will be messed up, and you'd need to rewire the tone knob as a volume knob for the active pickups. I'm not a "tech", and even I know that. Also, from all i hear, the battery should fit in the electronics cavity fine (though don't quote me on that).

Probably best if you PM Erock503 to see what he says. I'll try to get him to check in here.

for the pickups, assuming you don't go active, I'd seriously consider either bareknuckles or bulldogs. I haven't tried bulldogs, but hear great things (run by a guy who used to work for bareknuckle), and bareknuckles are great, I have tried those. if you ask me, dimarzio and duncans are ridiculously expensive in the UK, and you can get better for cheaper (or much better for very slightly more) but obviously that's my opinion.

yeah, Dave is correct.

EMG's fit fine, in fact, I had (2)9V batteries in my RG1570 for the 18V mod. I've done it to all my EMG equipped guitars. The preamp is in the actual pickups, not a seperate unit, and the actual 25K pots EMG uses are smaller than normal 250k-500k pots. Dave is also right about the pots, if you try and use passives with 25k pots, the passives output will be greatly affected. If you use 250k-500k pots with the actives, it becomes more like an on/off switch to them rather than vol control. The way around it is to use a booster for the passives, or have seperate vol circuits, like Dave suggested, and lose your tone control.

I would check out some guitars with EMG and basswood though before you decide on them, there are some people that don't prefer their sound together. I personally liked the 81 in it fine, but the 85 I did find to be a little too "boomy" and muddy for my tastes.

oh, and +1 on the BK's.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by buckethead_jr

EDIT: Ah, only checked that one site for the UK, you can get them for around £50-55 in some places, not so bad.

yeah, that's what I'm talking about. even at "good" UK or europe prices, you're still paying a hefty premium. Especially when you can get swinesheads for a bit less, which are still nicer (in my opinion).

EDIT: thanks for checking in, erock.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
oh, you can get uncovered bareknuckles for £90 on the bareknuckle site, maybe even closer to £80 on some other sites (stringbusters etc.).

Though the ceramic warpig (which is closest to an 81, from what I hear) is over the £100 mark.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If I'm not mistaken, some Ibanez Xiphos have D-Activators stock.

TS, is there any near you that you could play, just to get a feel of what they would sound like?
the cliffs notes version is, if your tech doesn't know all that I (and more accurately, erock) posted, should you trust him to wire in your pickups?

You'll switch to the 81 in combination with your middle passive single coil and a SKY TV satellite will fall on your house or something.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Being a left hander - no.

EDIT* At Buckethead.

EDIT2* I'll probably avoid actives, they sound too complicated. ¬_¬
Quote by buckethead_jr
If I'm not mistaken, some Ibanez Xiphos have D-Activators stock.

TS, is there any near you that you could play, just to get a feel of what they would sound like?

All Xiphos have them stock.
Hmm, does that mean they're a relative cheap pickup in terms of quality, then? They're not terribly expensive, comparatively, and are in what appears to be a lowish end guitar line...
well they're mass-produced pickups, and aren't handwound...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by StiltonCheese
Hmm, does that mean they're a relative cheap pickup in terms of quality, then? They're not terribly expensive, comparatively, and are in what appears to be a lowish end guitar line...

Dimarzio are very high quality pick-ups. All made in the USA, they are very inexpensive though compared to most other brands.
Quote by StiltonCheese
So, in summary, D-Activators x 2 wuld be a worthwhile upgrade from a V7/V8 combo?

Definitely... While the V7/V8 arn't the worst stock pick-ups in the world you will definitely notice the difference. I actually liked my V7 =(
most aftermarket pickups (bar maybe an invader) would be an upgrade from the v-series... as edge says they aren't the worst stock pickups, but they certainly aren't great.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
true, though it's not just so bad as the invader.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
most aftermarket pickups (bar maybe an invader) would be an upgrade from the v-series... as edge says they aren't the worst stock pickups, but they certainly aren't great.

Aye, the reason I went for the 1570 is because it'd be an upgrade over my Squier Standard with room for improvement.

Basically what it comes down to is a choice between the Bareknuckles and the D Activators, and I can;t go wrong?
i haven't tried the d-activators, so i can't say. but judging by the dimarzios I have tried, the bareknuckles should be noticeably better. in my opinion. and assuming you get ones which suit your style.

You "can't go wrong" from the point of view that pretty much anything aftermarket is an upgrade over a v-series, but that's not to say some aftermarket pickups won't be nicer than others...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Cool, thanks for the ehlp guys. I'll keep reading about, most probably on harmoncy central, and decide between d-activators and bareknuckles.

good luck.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Page 1 of 2