So I need a new amp, and I really like the Epiphone Blues Custom Combo so far, it's got that nice classic look going on, and what I read about it sounds pretty good. tho I don't want to go into blind euforia about it, and not see the downsides to this. I have a couple of questions to people who have one of these, played one of these, or know someone who owns one of these:

1. From what I read I couldn't quite make out if it was an all-tube amp or not, I'm guessing it is, but I can't be sure. Is it?

2. How is this amp for stage performance, for practice, and for recording?

3. Are there any serious downsides to this item I should know about prior to buying?

4. What are possible competing amps I could try out?
Quote by hippie_cune
Stukart, you're the most awesome human being I have ever met. I love you
Its all tube and im sure youll be fine for stage performing 2 x 12 i think it is ive never played one so i cant give you a good review of it but if i was to recommend you another in the UK the fender hot rod deluxe is only £50 which you may want to check out for the shimmering cleans
1. Yes it is an all tube amp. There are two models a 30 watt class AB, and a 15 watt class A.

2. It's a nice size. Quiet enough for a small practice space, and loud enough for performance.

3. For the money, a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe is probably a better buy. The Epiphone looks better than it sounds. It might sound better with a few mods, change out the tubes & speaker. There are no serious downsides. It's a matter of personal preference.

4. Try out a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Peavey Classic 30/112
Quote by Wasted Resource
1. Yes it is an all tube amp. There are two models a 30 watt class AB, and a 15 watt class A.

2. It's a nice size. Quiet enough for a small practice space, and loud enough for performance.

3. For the money, a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe is probably a better buy. The Epiphone looks better than it sounds. It might sound better with a few mods, change out the tubes & speaker. There are no serious downsides. It's a matter of personal preference.

4. Try out a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Peavey Classic 30/112

+1, Hot Rod Deluxe or Blues Deluxe used would be better, and just as affordable. Better tone, more volume, and probably better resale value if you ever wanted to trade/sell it for another amp.

Classic 30 is a decent option also, as is a Laney VC30.
i've tried it, assuming the grainger blues twin is identical or at least very similar.

it's alright- my concern was that it still seemed to have some of the flaws the valve junior has- flaws which are nice and characterful on a £100 amp, but not so nice on a £300 one... it's quite dark-sounding, basically. it just basically reminded me of a louder, more versatile valve junior. It has a similar voicing.

I'd prefer a laney vc30, basically.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm actually a huge fan of the inherent dark voicing of the Epiphone amps versus the similarly priced Fenders. They seem to break up a little sooner and sound a bit raunchier (if that makes any sense whatsoever). The amp stood out to me as perfect for dirty blues, while not being able to achieve the spic and span cleans the Fenders can. It's definitely different from the competition, but in your situation (or in anyone's situation) I wouldn't buy without shopping around.

Quote by Wasted Resource
There are two models a 30 watt class AB, and a 15 watt class A.

Actually, there's only one model. It has a power output switch on the back to switch between the two modes.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by Wasted Resource

i think what you mean to say is there are two settings for this ONE amp. 30 watts class A/B and 15 watts class A. 30 is good for full band practice and live, and 15 is good for sitting at home alone jamming and/or practicing.

^^^dammit someone beat me to it! haha

i have gotten a chance to play it, and its great. super loud, it does break up cleans at higher volumes, but what tube amp doesnt? i'm personally not a fan of any fender amps (i guess just not my sound) so i say go for the epi. lots-o-features. do it.

Guitars:
1998 Gibson SG-X Carribean Blue
Dean Avalanche
Amps:
Marshall JCM900 SL-X Head w/ Orange 212 Cab
JMF 120T Vintage
Fender 212DSP
Pedals:
Fulltone OCD, TC Electronics Flashback Delay, MXR Classic Overdrive, TC Electronics Polytune
i should probably point out that I'm probably slightly biased against the blues twin/blues custom, because I already have a valve junior. It just didn't seem to do all that much that my VJ wouldn't do (apart from being louder, and having more pre-amp gain available).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?