ive been wanting to get into funk for a while and i was hoping i could get some songs with some cool bass lines from bands like, Parliament, Funkadelic, Bootsy Collins, Sly and The Family Stone and others of the like. thanks
For grooving fingerstyle funk - look at ANY Bootsy bassline. Everything that man touches turns into funk. I'll recommend the Mothership Connection album by Parliament - Bootsy's best work IMO. Good luck getting his envelope filter tone though . Flashlight by Parliament has also got a wicked bassline (well it's played on a keyboard but hey, a bassline is a bassline right?).

Larry Graham is your man for slapping. I never got that into the whole 80's-disco-space-crazy-keyboard-funk, but if that's what you're looking for, look into his solo work. His best known work is probably "Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin)" (the first song to include slapping) and "If You Want Me To Stay" (RHCP has a kick-ass cover of it) both by Sly & The Family Stone.
...Why don't you just try looking at the bands you mentioned in you post, dude? I don't mean to be mean, but you listed bands that you wanted to look at, so just look at them and find the basslines you like.
Quote by Evil_Jim43
Geekis, you are truly the Ghandi of our time

Quote by thefitz
Man, I really have to stop sigging you...

My blog:
http://david-hates.blogspot.com/
There have been a few threads on this in the past--use thy search bar wisely. But since this does get asked a bit and there seems to be some interest in funk bass, maybe its time someone did a "Feature on" funk, like Sinan did for jazz.
if your checkin Larry Graham, hit up POW!

best bass ever :P

if you like funky slap, hit Marus Miller up... Frankenstein, Power, Scoop, etc.
Quote by Fast_Bear
someone sig that typo!

no

Quote by MetalUpTheAss
My amp is so loud, it has no number system.

It's only rated in decibels of loud and louder.
Quote by onebetter
I love some Stevie Wonder basslines, my favorties are Sir Duke, I Wish, and Higher Ground (although the Chili's version is better imo)

As if you just said the Chili's did a better version of Higher Ground than Stevie Wonder. I consider what the Chili Peppers' did to Higher Ground a travesty. If you can listen to Stevie's Higher Ground without bobbing your head you have no soul. The Chili Peppers' version doesn't evoke anywhere near the same amount of emotion. You can't really blame the Chili's though, to touch any song of that calibre is to doom oneself to failure.
^ That's a bit elitist. I think there's just as much emotion in the Chili Pepper's version. MAybe it's just from a different angle.
Quote by Evil_Jim43

Quote by thefitz

My blog:
I don't think that it's elitist at all. After reading your post I went back and listened to each band's song through. I even listened to the Chili's first so that I had nothing to compare it to. While I was listening, I felt it had a decent groove but over all it was unobtrusive and flat. Then when Stevie came on it was like BAM! Listen to me now, here I am, let's have sex. The Chili Pepper's did a good job but when you compare it to the original it just doesn't... well... compare. I used to think the Chili Pepper's Higher Ground was the shiz, then I listened to Stevie's and realized wow, the funkiness, the overall groove, and taste of the original was better.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
I don't think that it's elitist at all. After reading your post I went back and listened to each band's song through. I even listened to the Chili's first so that I had nothing to compare it to. While I was listening, I felt it had a decent groove but over all it was unobtrusive and flat. Then when Stevie came on it was like BAM! Listen to me now, here I am, let's have sex. The Chili Pepper's did a good job but when you compare it to the original it just doesn't... well... compare. I used to think the Chili Pepper's Higher Ground was the shiz, then I listened to Stevie's and realized wow, the funkiness, the overall groove, and taste of the original was better.

First of all, it wasn't my post.

I was just defending the Chili Peppers.

Second, I think it's elitist not because you have a preference (everyone is entitled to their opinion), but to say "to touch any song af that calbire is to doom oneself to failure."

That's what I meant.
Quote by Evil_Jim43

Quote by thefitz

My blog:
Last edited by Geekis_Khan at Oct 17, 2007,
Quote by Geekis_Khan
First of all, it wasn't my post.

I was just defending the Chili Peppers.

Second, I think it's elitist not because you have a preference (everyone is entitled to their opinion), but to say "to touch any song of that calibre s to doom oneself to failure."

That's what I meant.

Well, it really is dooming to failure because when you cover something that... I don't even know the word to use here. I can only clench my fist and wave it around. That's the only way I can describe it. Anyway, when you cover something that *clenches fist* you can't improve on it because it is almost perfect. It has a brilliant groove and tightness you just cannot achieve by covering and arranging, or by having different people playing each instrument as opposed to just one with the master plan.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Well, it really is dooming to failure because when you cover something that... I don't even know the word to use here. I can only clench my fist and wave it around. That's the only way I can describe it. Anyway, when you cover something that *clenches fist* you can't improve on it because it is almost perfect. It has a brilliant groove and tightness you just cannot achieve by covering and arranging, or by having different people playing each instrument as opposed to just one with the master plan.

But since all that is subjective, of course, it just seems elitist to say that nothing can compare. Perhaps personally nothing can compare, but...

It doesn't really matter, and I don't care much.

P.S. It also bugs me a little because it does automatically condemn bands doing a cover without actually giving them a chance (even though you did give them a chance in this case). If that makes sense.
Quote by Evil_Jim43

Quote by thefitz

My blog:
oooh nice thread title
Quote by gallagher2006
Whats a Steve Vai? Floyd Rose ripoff?

Quote by Mr. Twelve
Behold...the Arctopus are obviously music. I don't see how anyone could say they're not music compared to many modern and post-modern composers. That being said, I think B...tA are terrible.
pentatonics and espcially minor 7th's are your friend in funk, learn the Mixolydian mode well. nothing says funky like a nice root minor 7-octive pop.

tower of power was missing from your list, as was james brown, although bootsy was his bassist for a stretch. Maceo Parker is good, same with Bobby Byrd. i hate that whole parliment funkadelic mix up crap, they were bassically the same band, and it always confuses me. ive given up trying to understand it and just refer to them now as parliment/funkadelic, thier current touring bill.

as to the stevie wonder/chilli peppers thing, i think its the biggest compliment an artist can get to have their song covered and dragged back into the forefront once it's primetime slot has diminished a bit. sure everyone thinks "oh man have you heard that chili peppers song?' but those who really like it will dig further and see the stevie wonder version. covers are not evil, 'aint no sunshine when she's gone' was an old time classic, but brought up to a new standard by the amazing bill withers.
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
As if you just said the Chili's did a better version of Higher Ground than Stevie Wonder. I consider what the Chili Peppers' did to Higher Ground a travesty. If you can listen to Stevie's Higher Ground without bobbing your head you have no soul. The Chili Peppers' version doesn't evoke anywhere near the same amount of emotion. You can't really blame the Chili's though, to touch any song of that calibre is to doom oneself to failure.

stevie has more soul but I do feel that the chili version has more energy though