hey all,

i know that gold carries sound better than any other metal, which begs the question - if i managed to solder pots, pickups wiring, caps etc, with gold, (rather than whatever it is i usually use), would it improve or change the quality or general sound of my guitar? that is, if it is possible to solder gold, i havent looked into it enough to buy any gold leaf or anything.

regards,
LT
It would be a waste. Gold plated contacts would be much more effective.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
1) Gold has a higher melting point than solder. Hell, you'd probably mess up all the wires trying to solder then with gold.

2) Bloody expensive

3) Pieces of solder are relatively small, and don't present that much of an obstacle to the current.

4) They make cables with gold jacks.
Solid gold wires would probably make a differens! Too bad it would be pretty expensive
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
Gold doesn't conduct that well anyway. It's used on plugs because it doesn't corrode. If you want very good conductivity, use silver solder- since silver conducts better than gold.
You're wires should be touching underneath the solder anyway. Solder isn't supposed to carry any current
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
Quote by powermetalg
Platinum carries a current better than gold and silver. The use it in some electronics but not much due to price.

nope, silver is a better conductor than platinum
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by mcw00t
nope, silver is a better conductor than platinum

This is correct.

Quote by mr_hankey
Gold doesn't conduct that well anyway. It's used on plugs because it doesn't corrode. If you want very good conductivity, use silver solder- since silver conducts better than gold.
Really, really wrong.

Gold plating every contact improves sound quality vastly, more so than using any other metal. This doesn't hold quite so true for guitars, but for things such as large Hi-Fi equipment, it's pretty much an unwritten law that you should gold-plate everything to get the clearest sound.
http://www.audioholics.com/education/cables/silver-saboteurs-are-silver-audio-cables-better

Silver cables have the least resistance, much less than platinum.

Bottom line is, solder is there to keep stuff in place, not to transfer electricity, or anything, since solder is a poot conductor..
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by bokuho
Really, really wrong.

Gold plating every contact improves sound quality vastly, more so than using any other metal. This doesn't hold quite so true for guitars, but for things such as large Hi-Fi equipment, it's pretty much an unwritten law that you should gold-plate everything to get the clearest sound.

Hah! Silver is a better conductor than gold, so if you're using all-silver cables (and some people do) you'd 'ruin' the clear sound with gold plugs.

So why use gold plugs? They prevent corrosion at the most critical places. The supposed sound improvement is just marketing mumbo-jumbo.
I'll say just this: about eight months back, my Hi-Fi system broke down. I traced the problem to a worn out cable. I replaced the previously gold-plated cable with a silver-plated one, and after listening to it for a while, I thought something was odd. I played a couple of different LPs with this, and on each one, something always seemed to be missing. For curiosity's sake, I got hold of a duplicate of the cable I had used previously, with gold-plated contacts. Listening with that instead of the new silver-plated on, I could then spot what it was; the silver was draining some of the stereo contrast, and had been producing some low-level noise on the final signal.

So, I stuck with the gold, and now my old Hendrix vinyls are sounding as good as they always have done. Take that for what it's worth.
Quote by bokuho
I could then spot what it was; the silver was draining some of the stereo contrast, and had been producing some low-level noise on the final signal.

Gold gave you a better connection, since it wasn't tarnished like the silver may have been. I think.
Quote by mr_hankey
Gold gave you a better connection, since it wasn't tarnished like the silver may have been. I think.

I could believe that. Or the fact your gold-plated cable had a lower capacitance than the silver-plated cable. Basically, there's a lot of reasons why one could sound better than the other.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
I remember reading somewhere that gold plated jacks dont work as well, becuase they come in contact with different metals and react (i.e. gold plated plug into nickel/silver socket)...

anyways, i'd imagine the wires would melt before the gold did...
......... because here at mcdonald's our special ingredient is our people...
Quote by mr_hankey
Hah! Silver is a better conductor than gold, so if you're using all-silver cables (and some people do) you'd 'ruin' the clear sound with gold plugs.

So why use gold plugs? They prevent corrosion at the most critical places. The supposed sound improvement is just marketing mumbo-jumbo.

Darn straight. I'm an "audio enthusiast", spend quite a bit of money on this stuff, and a lot of hi-end manufacturers don't use gold plated plugs, because all the gold does is reduce corrosion. it does not make it sound better at all, length or quality of the wire would make much more of a difference than what your connector is made of would.
Quote by bokuho
I'll say just this: about eight months back, my Hi-Fi system broke down. I traced the problem to a worn out cable. I replaced the previously gold-plated cable with a silver-plated one, and after listening to it for a while, I thought something was odd. I played a couple of different LPs with this, and on each one, something always seemed to be missing. For curiosity's sake, I got hold of a duplicate of the cable I had used previously, with gold-plated contacts. Listening with that instead of the new silver-plated on, I could then spot what it was; the silver was draining some of the stereo contrast, and had been producing some low-level noise on the final signal.

So, I stuck with the gold, and now my old Hendrix vinyls are sounding as good as they always have done. Take that for what it's worth.
Worth? Nothing. At least not to me.

Just another bit of anecdotal "data" by someone with "golden ears".

Pics or it never happened!
Show me oscilloscope traces of this loss of "stereo contrast".
Until then ... thanks, but no thanks.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
^^^^ calm dude, dont have a go just because you think your opinion is worth more, bohuko was making a decent contribution, so chill.

everyone else, cheers, but you seem to be focusing more on answering "if i could do ONE SINGLE THING to improve my sound, should gold solder be it?". that is not what i am asking, i am asking WOULD IT IMPROVE THE QUALITY OF MY SOUND. that is all.
Quote by liam177lewis
^^^^ calm dude, dont have a go just because you think your opinion is worth more, bohuko was making a decent contribution, so chill.

everyone else, cheers, but you seem to be focusing more on answering "if i could do ONE SINGLE THING to improve my sound, should gold solder be it?". that is not what i am asking, i am asking WOULD IT IMPROVE THE QUALITY OF MY SOUND. that is all.
I very much doubt it. And in other threads, bokuho acts like he knows things but to me is just a highly opininated fanboy...

But, if you think about it the electrons always take the shortest route, and on a PCB the electrons won't bother going off into big solder joints if they don't lead anywhere. It's predominantly for joining things mechanically. It can be used as a conductor if needed, though.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.