I'm sure this has been asked before but you try and search something with "bass", "guitar", and "amp" in the query and get accurate results.

I am buying a bass from a friend for riduculously cheap price, and I will be using it mostly for D.I recording on my solo songs, not for gigs or anything like that.

I know that playing a bass through a guitar amp is bad for the speakers because they arn't designed ofr handling such low frequencies,

but will I be ok if I play at quiet volumes, just for bedroom practice?

Cheers
If you want to risk ruining the amp's speaker go for it. I wouldn't do it, even at low volumes the speaker excursion of a guitar speaker is too restricted for bass. Some people get away with it but its a gamble.
you should be fine at low volumes, although it certainly won't be good for it.
but you definitely won't be fine at higher volumes so don't do that.
Last edited by The red Strat. at Oct 16, 2007,
I think you'd be okay at low volume but I'm not a 100%. Maybe because your amp is tube it wouldn't be worth risking it...
You'll be fine. I do it for the same purposes as you and I've had no issues yet. My speaker's quite large though.

However, bear in mind that it *might* go tits up.
www.myspace.com/stcircusthemighty

Check it out. If you like what you hear, friend me.

Quote by Rikifield
Nice acoustic man! And your voice is melting with the acoustic sound...
Electric Guitar + Bass Amp = Really nice cleans

Bass Guitar + Guitar Amp= Blown speaker

Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
You'd sound like sh!t.

And like xharass_natox said, it's a tube. I wouldn't try it in a thousand years.

On my spider III, sure. It's worth the fireworks, maybe.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
Electric guitar speakers aren't designed to withstand the low frequencies that a bass puts out, so it would damage the speaker.
If you're running it through a MG however, it may be an improvement.
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

i put my guitar through my older brother's ashdown bass amp and he shouted at me saying that it could have exploded
Last edited by ~Danny~ at Oct 17, 2007,
Quote by ~Danny~
i put my guitar through my older brother's ashdown bass amp and he shouted at me saying that it could have exploded

Tell him to say that to Stevie Ray Vaughan
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

Don't worry. It'll be fine, I assure you - if you're running at practice volumes it won't do any damage to your amp whatsoever.

Though obviously if you use it at gig volumes it would:

A) Put unneccessary frequencies and vibration on the speaker and eventually shorten the lifespan of the amp (but that's not a massive worry - most people don't own an MG long enough for this to matter ).

B) Sound like utter s**t anyway...

Conclusion: sure, go for it!