Next year I'm going to be building a Telecaster in my Technology class because my musical tastes have changed since getting my last guitar and I need something to fit the new. I know roughly what I want for it, but I don't have much idea about what pickups to have.

I play mainly Alt. Rock, Punk and Metal, but with stops at Folk, Rockabilly, Ska and Reggae inbetween. I want some pickups that would suit that, do you have any suggestions?

The Metal side doesn't have to be too extreme, since I have a BC Rich to cover that (I know, a BC Rich, but it's the one in a million that's half decent, and because it's so good the edition discontinued incredibly quickly).

Thanks!
There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!
well for what you play, Active pickups should be sufficent, now most people will tell you about EMG's, but to be honest, brands like Duncan make active pickups also, which are all pretty good, now for but far as EMG's go I hear HZ's are good for what you want to do with it, but the 81 and 85 are pretty good together, in my opinion Seymour Duncan makes pretty good pickups, Seymour Duncan has been a little slower making Active pickups but to be honest I think their actives are better than EMG's in a small way
Seymour Duncan also has more powerfull active pickups such as 12V, but the Blackouts are 9V and are just like EMG 81 and 85's, now it also depends on what amp you have, just a few things to consider without directly telling you what to get \

now for the guitar you want to get, EMG actually makes some decent pickups that fit in the slots of a Tele, so does Duncan, such as EMG SA, which is ideal for your taset, I don't feel like looking up the Duncan ones, but they have similar stuff, I mean pickups are pickups, just some have different magnets to have different sounds and some are wound more inside them to sound different just duncan and EMG seem to pick the right varriables
Last edited by hardcoredarrell at Oct 16, 2007,
^those are some long sentences.

I'm not so convinced you want to go down the active route..
It's going to be pretty hard to cover all of those styles, but I would suggest a medium-power, PAF-style humbucker in the bridge, and a vintage-voiced single coil in the neck.
DiMarzio, Seymour Duncan, Bareknuckle, Swineshead all make suitable pickups, at different price points.
I just bought a bc rich "exotic classic bich" in koa wood and it is the best playing axe Ive ever had out of 18 guitars. My #2 is an Ibanex s470 with emg active pickups. Its ok to say you BC rocks! Some of the cheap ones are a real joke and thats a shame. Anyway, I would reccomend the new seymore duncans that just came out a few months ago, I heard them at the local music store. This guy put them in his tele and they had a really sweet tone that was also very versitile. Sorry I cant rememger the modle #'s. Call a reputable Store and ask. ALSO...I put a set of filtertron's that came out of a gretch and they are my favorites! Rockabilly/hard rock/bluesy clean. Not really for todays metal but thats what the BC and Ibanez is for. The guys at the local guitar shop really digged the filtertrons. Truely a unique tone. I have them in an Epiphone SG classic. They are hard to find, try ebay?
well i wouldnt go active, just no. I would say something for iommi pick ups. I got these on my guitar, go really high output, but turn the volume down on ur guitar, and they clean up brilliantly. but you may want single coils
Quote by Nolly
^those are some long sentences.

I'm not so convinced you want to go down the active route..
It's going to be pretty hard to cover all of those styles, but I would suggest a medium-power, PAF-style humbucker in the bridge, and a vintage-voiced single coil in the neck.
DiMarzio, Seymour Duncan, Bareknuckle, Swineshead all make suitable pickups, at different price points.

yeah, some active pickups for the start slots are good for clean and some good for distortion, but he'd probally be better off with Passive Seymour Duncans, I'm not a fan of EMG passive pickups
Get a standard Telecaster Bridge and get a Tele Bridge pick up(single or humbucker telecaster pick-up) and put a humbucker in the neck.
DRAGONFORCE IS THE HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN
What do you think a Seymour Duncan APH-1 Alnico II in the bridge would be like? Or something of that kind. With a SD Antiquity neck?

Quote by Nolly
If you don't mind spending a lot, have a think about these. A HB in the bridge and a T-style in the neck would do pretty much anything you could want.

I'll think about it, but the higher the prices get the more feasible the idea that I get a Gretsch.
There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!
The APH-1 is a good pickup, but wouldn't really be suitable for the heavier styles you mentioned. Something like this or this might be better.
The Antiquity pickup is great, but you might want to look at something hum-cancelling, and possibly a bit more powerful to balance the humbucker in the bridge. Maybe the Kinman Broadcaster neck would be good.
a duncan antiquity. in the uk. are ye mad? that's like £150 for the one pickup! i'd just go with a bareknuckle or bulldog myself to be honest...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
a duncan antiquity. in the uk. are ye mad? that's like £150 for the one pickup! i'd just go with a bareknuckle or bulldog myself to be honest...

he cant get it while on a US vacation , buy more than one go back to UK and sell the spare and make you some cash , but yeah, maybe you should get a different one than that paticular one
i guess if you're there anyway you could try that...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I can get my uncle who lives in NJ to bring me parts, or just get them off the internet.

I'm going to find some guitars with the pickups you've all mentioned in them and try them out, seems the best way to do it .