Hey all,

Just curious about how a guitar would react for someone that travels a lot, and if you were to go traveling what kind of guitar you'd all pick.

If you're flying / going by train or bus through different climates, the guitar is going to be submitted to some pretty hefty changes in temperature / humidity, what sort would hold up best?

And it'd need to be able to take a bit of a beating too..

Personally I wouldn't want a very expensive guitar either, definately <£300, just incase

Anything else to consider?
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
There are guitars for travellers, they have a special design and do their work pretty well, search it on musiciansfriend.
Looking for a new sig!
I travel a lot. I live in the U.S. and work on the west coast of Africa on a small ship. I see a lot of people travel with their acoustics in soft "cases". One guy I met in Paris had his Martin (all mahogany) in one. He brings it as a carry on of course. I wouldn't take that chance with a high end guitar. I brought my cheapo Yamaha acoustic with me when I brought my ship over from the states and it stays on board the ship, safe and sound. It is exposed to a lot of humidity. Especially if I step outside to play for a while. So far no damage to speak of. I do have to re-tune a little more often though. If I couldn't keep a guitar here and had the money, I would take the suggestion of the poster above and look into the special travel guitars, and paranoid as I am, I'd still invest in a really nice case for it.
Buy yourself a nice solid acoustic, and a hardcase.. i travel allover the globe with my acoustic, no such damage to report.
airlines normally treat guitars with care, i don't think other than sitting in the hot sun or freezeign cold that you would have to much trouble with it. I live in alaska. and i only take my guitar as a carry on since it can be -25 degrees where the leave you bags till you board
Personally I'd just get a cheapo laminate for your travel guitar. Humidity shoulden't affect it as much as a solid top and if it does, who cares because you only spent less then $100 on it. It won't sound as good as a solid top, but at least you won't be biting your nails every time you hit a baggage claim
Garou, that was pretty much my thinking. I had heard laminated wood guitars weren't affected quite as much as solid wood 'uns. I don't think I could stomach losing (having stolen) an expensive guitar, I'd be a lot less paranoid taking a p.o.s guitar with me, as long as it plays reasonably well that is

Can you get hardcases with a strap? I was thinking of buying a cheapo hardcase and rigging a military backpack frame ontop it by cutting holes in the case to loop straps through to attach it onto a padded support. Yes I am insane.

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
You're not insane, dude....you are DEDICATED! lol

Good topic. I haven't traveled with any of my guitars yet, but someone said they bring them on the plane as a carry-on? I've got a question about that - do they fit in overhead compartments or will the flight attendants store them somewhere for you? I just have to ask because I'm traveling back home to see family soon.

I'm a tiny girl and just trying to imagine myself lugging carry-ons and whacking the sh*t out of everyone going down the aisles with my guitar.
I recently got back from workin up in alaska, im orginally from san diego. I traveled around AK for 2 months aboard float planes, planes, farries, train, car and by foot. My guitar came out fine. I carried it in a hard/soft case with strap so i could carry it on my back. I personally would look locally for a nice used guitar. I found a Fender DG-8S for 50 bucks that was practically new. I see them all the time locally on craigslist going for 50-150 most of the times with extras. Youd be suprised at what people will give up because they dont have the patience to learn to play. What i did on the plane was Gate Check the item before you board and the flight attendent will store your guitar on the plane up front out of the way with strollers and what ever else people have gate checked. At one point i got stopped by security for having "liquid" in my guitar case, i was quick to deny but it ended up being my guitar cleaner they made me toss out. Long story short, the whole time, the security wouldnt touch my guitar his words where "i know how expensive these things are", as they let me go through the case and empty out all of its contents. I WouLD NeVer send a guitar under the plane, and if i had to, get a hard case and pack ure guitar tight surrounded by clothes in the case, had a bddy do it once. O and dont forget to losen your strings are else your risk the chance of breaking your neck from altitude differences.
Thanks for clarifying that...no way in hell I would ever send one under the plane. I wasn't sure if it would fit in overhead storage though. I'll remember to see if I can gate check it next time I travel. Thank you.
I travel a lot with work and just use a Traveller Escape MK 11. I know some guys don't like these guitars but for a frequent traveller they have some advantages .... small size, hard to break and you can listen to them through your head phones so you can play on the plane or train.

If you a travelling alot, they are just so much more convenient.

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
Last edited by Highbinder at Oct 19, 2007,