Page 1 of 3
Thats right! Some kid at school showed me this today.

http://www.blackle.com

same as google but saves energy, i use it now, DISCUSS!
Endorsed by Framus Amps

Quote by primusfan
you shoulda lynched that nigger.

*spits in spittoon and feels up his cousin*
Last edited by axeslinger01 at Oct 16, 2007,
wtf? Blackle??? I think this may be classed as advertising/spam...
Quote by Atomic_Assault
lololololol that was epic andyd93. you just made my day

PROUD EVERTONIAN
Wow, I had no idea about that.

I would have thought no matter what happens on screen, no less or more energy is needed as the energy from the wall socket is constant (sorry that's very casual).

Anyone else know what I mean?
Quote by denizenz
We've covered this...it doesn't save energy...at all.

You're probably right, but it's still a neat idea
i'll do it whether it saves energy or not...it generally looks cool!
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
Quote by Travv0
How exactly does it save energy?

black screen just use as much energy as a white screen, dunno why though...I still use google
I don't really see how it saves energy, since a computer is constantly drawing 230V from the mains, it just puts the power into different resources. The graphics card won't need as much power because of the black background, but the computer will re-route the power to RAM or HDD or something.

Also, you can't sign in to iGoogle on it, so it sucks .
Quote by buckethead_jr
^And known for that bloody awesome croissant with a crown.
Man that's badass.

MINE SIG R PINK
I would have thought no matter what happens on screen, no less or more energy is needed as the energy from the wall socket is constant (sorry that's very casual).

I mean isn't the energy transfer constant? Seriously guys.
this is the stupidest thing i have ever heard. about:blank definitly takes less energy for a homepage. what bull****
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackle

Ta-daaa.

And to Jackolas, no it isn't, appliances draw different ammounts of energy from the socket at different times depending on how much they need. Like if you turn a fan on and it spins at 120 rpm, then you turn it up to say 360 rpm, it will draw more energy from the socket.

Quote by -February-Star-
I don't really see how it saves energy, since a computer is constantly drawing 230V from the mains, it just puts the power into different resources. The graphics card won't need as much power because of the black background, but the computer will re-route the power to RAM or HDD or something.

Also, you can't sign in to iGoogle on it, so it sucks .

It draws different current. Energy = the voltage multiplied by the current, so the voltage can remain constant but the energy transferrred differs.
Quote by pavel
http://www.blackle.com/about/

^ apparently thats how it saves energy

It's bunk. The addresses are still loaded into memory, and the monitor displays the color black. It's especially useless for LCD or Plasma monitors, but I'd bet CRT's still fire even though they reads the hex code for black, #000000.
Quote by Jackolas

Yes. You are right. It can't possibly save energy.
Thanks to blackle, another polar bear will sleep safe tonight.
lemonadeface (4 hours ago) (Show/ Hide)

do u think it might come out on PS2?

liriiii (2 hours ago) (Show /Hide)

no lemonface... no.. ...not a chance.. ..no
Quote by Jackolas

Quote by huevomax
Yes. You are right. It can't possibly save energy.

Even though the voltage is constant current and therefore wattage used is dependent on load resistance.
That might be the case for CRT monitors, though I doubt the power saved would be of a significant value. But for LCD screens, which I'd say are mostly used nowadays, the backlight is always on, no matter the color of the screen.

There are better ways to save power than increasing the traffic of the website of a bunch of idiots.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by Mad Marius

There are better ways to save power than increasing the traffic of the website of a bunch of idiots.

While this is true, I think it's more of a principle thing really. If you CAN do it to save energy, then really you should. Although you have to wonder how much more energy would be saved if nobody was running the computers to use the Internet in the first place...
Quote by burningcowsrule
While this is true, I think it's more of a principle thing really. If you CAN do it to save energy, then really you should. Although you have to wonder how much more energy would be saved if nobody was running the computers to use the Internet in the first place...

Yeah. Where do you draw the line?

I personally draw it below having to keep as much as my screen surface black.

EDIT: ON NOES! I just went to regular Google. Another 0.00001 watts wasted. The world is fucked

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by s.r.v.
this is the stupidest thing i have ever heard. about:blank definitly takes less energy for a homepage. what bull****

No it doesn't, because the whole page is white.

Blackle's is..can you guess?
Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz
Go in peace my son, and teach to the pit dwellers what I have shown unto you.

ಠ_ಠ

XBL: huffy409
Quote by PastaOfMuppets

Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz
Go in peace my son, and teach to the pit dwellers what I have shown unto you.

ಠ_ಠ

XBL: huffy409
Doesn't make a difference for LCD monitors, which I would say are at about 60% market penetration now.

In other words, it's a waste of server space.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Quote by PastaOfMuppets

Damn you. Now I have a kid screaming in my head "That's Racist!" over and over...

Last edited by Your Mother : Today at 03:44 PM
http://gblack.02d.pl/

Blackle is useless
last.fm
Quote by darkstar2466
*head explodes*
You sir, are a god.

Quote by BBW
This song is about Little Red Riding Hood and her trials and tribulations with the Big Bad Wolf. He was a cunt who liked to bother pigs when they relaxed after work in their houses.
Yeah. Where do you draw the line?

I personally draw it below having to keep as much as my screen surface black.

EDIT: ON NOES! I just went to regular Google. Another 0.00001 watts wasted. The world is fucked

Joules, Watts is a measure of power, not energy. Yes I'm a pedant, I know

Why draw a line anywhere? If you can do it and it doesn't inconvenience you any, then why shouldn't you?
Quote by Smokey Amp
Doesn't make a difference for LCD monitors, which I would say are at about 60% market penetration now.

In other words, it's a waste of server space.

seriously, how much energy do you think they waste by running their crap web servers all day and night. Not to mention routers, firewalls, switches...etc....

Only tools would buy into that BS.

Damn you!

Well, at least we know when/where the world went downhill

Last edited by Your Mother : Today at 03:44 PM
Quote by burningcowsrule
Joules, Watts is a measure of power, not energy. Yes I'm a pedant, I know

Why draw a line anywhere? If you can do it and it doesn't inconvenience you any, then why shouldn't you?

Thank you Dr. Planck.

This thread reminds me of the South Park episode where everyone buys hybrid cars.

Anyways, this particular issue would inconvenience me. White text on black background is harder to read. So now only would it be worse for my eyes,. but I'd also spend more time reading the search results. Since energy is power x time, I'd be wasting as much of it, if not more.

Page 1 of 3