If I would happen to buy a rackmountable preamp like the rocktron voodoo or behringer v-amp, could I just use my computer as the "power amp"? I already record using garageband, but I currently plug my guitar straight into my computer, so I would assume it can work as a poweramp.

Also, as I was looking through catalogs of amps, I noticed that some solid state amps cost significantly more than some tube amps. Most of the preamps I looked at were solid state, and there were quite a few that were $1000+. Also, the Line 6 Vetta is kinda pricey for a solid state amp. I was under the impression that tubes will always have better tone that solid state/digital amps. Can someone fill me in on this stuff?
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
Well i can tell I record from my amp into a computer but I've also recorded from just pedals or just bass or guitar into computer so I'd bet you can go preamp - computer.

MVL.
Most preamps come with compensated outputs for direct to desk or in your case computer recording. You may need to use some sort of cab simulator to get the best results although most probably come with cab sims anyway.

As for the solid state vs tube war, both have their place but 99% of the time tube wins out
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
OK, thanks for the info.

Quote by halikus
As for the solid state vs tube war, both have their place but 99% of the time tube wins out

Yeah, I get that, but what I wanna know is what justifies the Vetta being like $2000. I just always thought of solid state as usually cheaper than tube amps.
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

Quote by USAPeavey
OK, thanks for the info.
Yeah, I get that, but what I wanna know is what justifies the Vetta being like $2000. I just always thought of solid state as usually cheaper than tube amps.

The vetta costs a lot because it has the computing equivalent of the starship enterprise running ten billion computations per second to make sure that none of your hard-earned tone escapes unprocessed.
So...its because it does a lot of stuff?
Couldn't a good amp and a midi unit do the same thing?
Quote by jackbauer

Quote by guylee

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox