This is going to be my first build and I chose a neck through because I like them and because they seem more straight forward to build. Heres the plan so far:
I am going to buy a pre-made neck from Carvin. They feel good and play really nice. I am going to make the wings of the LP out of Mahogany and glue it all together. I then want to take a thin piece of quilted maple and glue that on top and make an carved top. I also plan to route out for a floyd rose. Then stain it either a deep blue or red with all chrome hardware. I also chose to use Dimarszio PAF Joe and Mo' Joe pickups in the neck and bridge respectively.

First question: How can I form the curves in the middle of the maple? Should I just take belt sander to it?

Second: Where would you guys reccomend buying woods from? So far, I've only seen exoticwoods.com
Fender 60th MIA Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Peavey JSX

Rockman Stereo Echo
Rockman Sustainor 200
2 Rockman 12-Band EQs
Rockman Stereo Chorus
RE-20 Space Echo
fulltone Clyde Standard wah

*No Advertising*
Last edited by jackson001 at Oct 16, 2007,
If you mean curves for the body top, you should use a thumb plane (i.e. Carved Top). I'm sure there are lots of tutorials out there (I think I saw one on stew-mac). No idea about woods though...
Last edited by Invader Jim at Oct 16, 2007,
Stewmac.com has some 1/4" bookmatched tops, but idk if u can carve it too well. maybe carve the body and bend the top. if u wanna stain it, id get quilt maple, but flame seems to be a bit cheaper. AlGee Eater did a carve top that came out amazingly well and stained it blue i think. try to find his thred for some advice on carving.
I'm dead set on quilted maple, not flamed. I absolutely adore the wood. I'll check out stewmac and thumb planes now. TO THE GOOGLE MOBILE!
Fender 60th MIA Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Peavey JSX

Rockman Stereo Echo
Rockman Sustainor 200
2 Rockman 12-Band EQs
Rockman Stereo Chorus
RE-20 Space Echo

*No Advertising*
In regards to planers, how big of one should I get? Or should I get an electric hand planer?
Fender 60th MIA Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Peavey JSX

Rockman Stereo Echo
Rockman Sustainor 200
2 Rockman 12-Band EQs
Rockman Stereo Chorus
RE-20 Space Echo

*No Advertising*
the problem is, theres quite a steep neck angle on a les paul and i think your gonna have a problem when you come to glue the maple cap onto the top of the through neck
ok so heres what im gonna do. can you guys check the order of this?
1) Im gonna trace a les paul shape onto some styrofoam board and cut it out.
2) Then Im gonna glue the neck and the rest of the body (w/o quilt top) together.
3) When it dries I'll trace the shape onto the body blank
4) Next I'll cut outside of the lines then clean it up with some careful sanding
5) Now I'm gonna route for the wiring and pickups and control cavities.
6) Then quilt top to the mahogany
7) When the glue dries I'm gonna apply the blue stain
Fender 60th MIA Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Peavey JSX

Rockman Stereo Echo
Rockman Sustainor 200
2 Rockman 12-Band EQs
Rockman Stereo Chorus
RE-20 Space Echo

*No Advertising*
Remember to route out the Maple top as well. But there is a neck angle on all guitars with TOM bridges. Somewhere on Warmoth.com they give u the angle. but i dont think itll be a problem with a NT.
I was thinking of using a floyd rose or a kahler. Which is the better tremolo? I know that the kahler requires less routing though.
Fender 60th MIA Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Peavey JSX

Rockman Stereo Echo
Rockman Sustainor 200
2 Rockman 12-Band EQs
Rockman Stereo Chorus
RE-20 Space Echo

*No Advertising*
Also can anyone provide a recommended reading list?
Fender 60th MIA Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Peavey JSX

Rockman Stereo Echo
Rockman Sustainor 200
2 Rockman 12-Band EQs
Rockman Stereo Chorus
RE-20 Space Echo

*No Advertising*
Updates:
My mahogany body has arrived and so has the quilted maple. Haven't yet got (or ordered, low funds) the neck from Carvin. I've strongly been considering not getting the tremolo in favor of a string through (with chrome ferrules to match all the other chrome ardware. it will look REALLY sharp on a dark blue burst into light blue, think ocean, guitar) One catch on the quilted maple, which was ordered from Stewmac is that it was pretty badly damaged. I don't know if I could use it fully or not, there is a deep gouge on one board and a big hole in the other. Both have mild damage along one edge. I've sent an email to their customer service, but haven't gotten a reply back yet; i suppose because it's the weekend.
Fender 60th MIA Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Peavey JSX

Rockman Stereo Echo
Rockman Sustainor 200
2 Rockman 12-Band EQs
Rockman Stereo Chorus
RE-20 Space Echo

*No Advertising*
have you read much about building any type of carved top? Im pretty sure your carvin neck is going to need to be heavily modified since there is going to be a neck angle with a TOM, also, how thick is the top you ordered?
Quote by -Atticus-

oh and btw how do u put a quote in ur sig??