hey, i was just looking at a tab for "ramblin' man" by the allman brothers band, and i noticed it said "tune up 1/2 step".

i've only seen tuned DOWN, this is the first i've seen tuned UP.

are there any other songs/bands that tune up?
Quite a few open tunings will be tuned up, but apart from that I don't know...I think the studio version of For Whom the Bell Tolls by Metallica is tuned up or the recording my be sped up slightly, I'm not sure.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I think Over the Hills and Far Away may be tuned up, im not sure. Any open tunings (open E, open A, open G?) are tuned up. Seven Nation Army is played with a slide in Open E.
^ I read it was Open A. Wouldn't that make more sense?
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Quote by newaccount
its the thing that you clip on to cover a whole fret to change key

like you put it on the first fret and an open note is instantly 1/2 step higher?
Quote by Metallica_Man55
like you put it on the first fret and an open note is instantly 1/2 step higher?

yes
Quote by newaccount
its the thing that you clip on to cover a whole fret to change key

I'm sorry, but i was under the impression that a capo changes the pitch, not the key.
If you want to jam in/around Mooresville NC message me.
Sleep- Dandy Warhols is a half step up. I've written a couple of songs tuned up. Whole step up got a Sonic Youth type sound.
It's gonna be a blue day
tuned up guitars sounds more "pretty" if you will. They have that easy listening feel.
Quote by j
Just use a capo. It is so much easier.

I was told a capo doesnt change the tuning but the pitch. can you explain please?
when you press down on a fret does it change the pitch or the note? there ya go
Holden Caulfield is a friend of mine.
We go drinking from time to time.
So you can change the tuning using a capo? That is what I thought, but some people on this site told me differently. If you can change the tuning, then what fret determines what tuning?
put a capo on the first fret. it's the same as fretting the note with your finger. common sense. then the first fret (or wherever you put the capo) is the new open.
every fret is a half step up.. so 2 would be G I believe and 4 would be A if I'm not mistaken.. I could be wrong
Holden Caulfield is a friend of mine.
We go drinking from time to time.
Quote by 812many
I was told a capo doesnt change the tuning but the pitch. can you explain please?

It changes both depending on what your playing.

If your just messing around, not playing any particular song, then basically your just changing the pitch, much like tuning up.

However, if you play a song, wherever you've placed the capo, that will become to "0" fret, or nut.

Example:
If you place the capo on the 5th fret, and play a G chord, even though its the G chord shape, its not the G chord your playing. Its actually C Major, Therefore changing the key of a song.
Been away, am back