Hey,
So my cousin just said he read that the Shure SM57 and SM58 are identical mics, except for the fact that the 58 has the round windscreen, is that true?
all the world's indeed a stage and we are merely players
They're very similar. I bought a 58 and just take the top off when I'm recording guitar and put it on when recording vocals, sounds just as good as the 57 I used to own *shrug*
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Oct 16, 2007,
SM58 for Vocal work
SM57 for Instruments
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Yes yes, of course.
The question is, I heard the "inner life" of the two mics are identical, i.e. if you remove the metal ball from a SM58 you have a SM57, what would be extremely stupid.
they're based around the same idea. with roughly the same frequency response. so in essence, yes they're the same mic. but they're made differently, to do different jobs, otherwise they'd just make the one mic.

most of the time, it works as Ynwi3 said, though sometimes the 57 works better for vocals, particularly female, and the 58 can sounds awesome on a bright guitar sound, as it has a darker sound than the 57.
Quote by TehJermie
you can get that toneblaster stack at the cost of your dignity.

Quote by silhouettica
fine, screw the cheese sandwich if you must...

They are very similar. Check the shure website specs to be sure, but from what I remember their frequency response curves are slightly different and a few other things might be different. Overall they are really similar though, and I doubt you'd notice a difference between them in a blind test.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
yeahyeah, you can tell. or generally, with the equipment i have, i can. especially if we're talking vocals. generally, the 57 has a more harsh sound, hence why it works great on guitar cabs, whereas the 58 has a more rounded sound, making it more suited to vocals, but as with anything, any mic, can be used for any application.

but yes, they are virtually the same thing, with slight technical differences.
Quote by TehJermie

Quote by silhouettica

SO then could I use the 58, to record my guitar instead of the 57 without problems?
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
no problems whatsoever, sometimes, i choose a 58 over a 57 for the type of music im recording, taking into account the gear used and the sound being produced at source. you will have no problems recording your guitar with a 58. at all.
Quote by TehJermie

Quote by silhouettica

Quote by zeppelinpage4
SO then could I use the 58, to record my guitar instead of the 57 without problems?

sm58 is more mid frequency based 57 has more highs. If you eq okay it should be alright but not as good as a 57
So, would it be a dangerous for the mic if I miced an Amp with a Sm58 without the ball, I mean, because the membrane is unprotected and all..?
They are NOT the same mic! They have different frequency responses, and the SM57 is positively legendary for it's durability and survivability.
Quote by Yngwi3
SM58 for Vocal work
SM57 for Instruments

This is what the mics are intended for. The thing about mics is that you really should, if you can, mic up whatever you want recorded with a few different mics and listen to see which seems to suit that particular instrument/voice. Generally, it's a safe bet to record vocals and acoustic instruments with a SM58, and guitar amps, brass instruments, and some drums with a SM57. That being said, you can play around with that. I did some recording with a very nice AKG C1000, but just hated how the vocalist's worked with it. We ended up using a SM57, for vocals. Suited the mix. Isn't that what matters?

P.S., this should probably go in Riffs and Recordings.
Quote by fexnah
Hey,
So my cousin just said he read that the Shure SM57 and SM58 are identical mics, except for the fact that the 58 has the round windscreen, is that true?

yep
if you are recording at home get the SM57 and a pop filter which is what i did. Great mic.
in a studio setting the SM57 is extremely useful because its good for vocals and micing amps and other instruments like drums.

the SM58 has the on board pop filter so it can be used alone for live use.....don't want a huge pop filter in your face in a live setting...

edit:
http://studio-central.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=35745
Last edited by moody07747 at Oct 16, 2007,