What do you guys do when you look at your guitars and think to yourself, "I'm never going to go anywhere with this?" My life has been bombed so badly recently that I'm almost ready to give up on everything. Please give me some advice on what to do to get out of this rut.. Please.
Well, for one thing, always remember that the guitar 'greats' weren't always as good as they are, they were noobs too once, the reason they got so good was practice and determination.
If they can do it, so can anyone.
"It's funny how most people love the dead. Once you're dead, you're made for life" - Jimi Hendrix

Quote by TheClincher
Is it incest if I had sex with my brother in law's half sister? Because if it is, it was so ****ing worth it.
I just channel all of my emotions into my guitar work.

No,I'm not 'Emo'.

It's just a driving force that helps me create,and it takes your mind off things.
Suppose everyone has their own thing like that,so find yours.
When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
I feel the same way sometimes... try forming a band with your friends if you haven't already... don't quit school or anything over it though. Music isn't for everyone, but if it's for you, just keep at it!
Main Bass Rig:
Bass:
Dean Edge Q6 - 6 String with Active EMG-HZs

Amp:
Fender BXR 300C - 300 Watt combo

Pedals:
Boss GEB Bass Equalizer
Electro-Harmonix Bass Big Muff Pi
MXR Bass Envelope Filter
Tech 21 SansAmp Bass Driver DI
Quote by Hold Music
smoke a lot of pot

^ that = bad idea
Main Bass Rig:
Bass:

Amp:

Pedals:
Boss GEB Bass Equalizer
MXR Bass Envelope Filter
Quote by CreamedExplorer
What do you guys do when you look at your guitars and think to yourself, "I'm never going to go anywhere with this?" My life has been bombed so badly recently that I'm almost ready to give up on everything. Please give me some advice on what to do to get out of this rut.. Please.
Play the piano for a while.

... I'm serious. Making music with an instrument that has different "access" will change your thought patterns. Things will seem fresh. Then you'll struggle on the piano with things that come easy on a guitar. You'll be glad to have a guitar in your hands again.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Find something that makes you feel like you're better than everyone else It sounds snobby but it works for me. I don't show it though.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Quote by Robb987123Bass
^ that = bad idea

Agreed. Drugs should not be used as a way to escape your problems. That can lead to psychological dependence.
Quote by Kensai
Forget about her, she seems complicated. Who wants a girl who answers in riddles? I'm not the fucking sfinx.

Quote by Rambo-Conny
Woah, woah. Back the hell up.

Polo shirt?

Sunglasses?

Of course he got all the girls, he's Rick Astley.
Sadly, most of the guitar players in my school are potheads, except the few in my band and our friends... but yea, Drugs, Alcohol and Suicide are not ways to escape your problems...
Main Bass Rig:
Bass:

Amp:

Pedals:
Boss GEB Bass Equalizer
MXR Bass Envelope Filter
i dont understand why so many people feel the need to go somewhere with their music playing... i play my guitar purely for fun, as an emotional hightener and never intend to make money off of it.. but i wouldnt give it up for the world...... or a klondike bar.
I've never looked at my guitar and thought "I'm never gonna go anywhere with this."

Whenever I look at my guitar, I smile and say to myself "This thing is fucking awesome. I love music."
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
if you dont feel like playing the guitar dont. if you feel like you're not gonna go anywhere with it then dont play it.

im not saying dont EVER play again. im just saying that if your heart isnt in playing guitar at the moment then you're not gonna get any further than you are now. i got into a rut like that once and it lasted for 5 months! when i finally picked up the guitar again it felt new. it felt great and i created some cool stuff when i picked it back up that i wouldnt have made if i continued to play when i wasnt excited about it.
Quote by nosushi4you
Agreed. Drugs should not be used as a way to escape your problems. That can lead to psychological dependence.

I just want to say i love you for understanding that. Most people don't get that concept. I even like drugs and i understand that.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by Robb987123Bass
Sadly, most of the guitar players in my school are potheads, except the few in my band and our friends... but yea, Drugs, Alcohol and Suicide are not ways to escape your problems...

You say that like it's a bad thing.
Quote by Kensai
Forget about her, she seems complicated. Who wants a girl who answers in riddles? I'm not the fucking sfinx.

Quote by Rambo-Conny

Polo shirt?

Sunglasses?

Last edited by nosushi4you at Oct 16, 2007,
Quote by metal4all
I just want to say i love you for understanding that. Most people don't get that concept. I even like drugs and i understand that.

Yea. I smoke weed about once a week but I never use it to get away from something. I can't enjoy the high when I know that I'll have to deal with some stupid **** after it wears off.
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Rambo-Conny

Polo shirt?

Sunglasses?

Get a new guitar...
͏͏͏
۩۩۩۩۩۩۩Ƒyre Ðeity۩۩۩۩۩۩۩

Quote by Here_is_no_why

"Hey Mike, did your mom have a C section when she gave birth to you? Because I wanna make sure she's tight before I bang her."
thas exactly how i feel right now. like i took a 1 month break, and now i feel like ****. i can't play good, my guiar keeps going out of tune. im just trying to take it slow and correct any of my improper habits from the beginning again. just take it slow, don't overwhelm ur self. enjoy life, and try to get inspiration. go on youtube, thers tons of videos of live bands playing thal'l inspire you, bands that u may not even like but their attitude when they play is like motivation to have some attitude and just keep at it.
Quote by armstrong26491
Well, for one thing, always remember that the guitar 'greats' weren't always as good as they are, they were noobs too once, the reason they got so good was practice and determination.
If they can do it, so can anyone.

Pretty good advice there.
Gear

Fender Stratocaster in Red.

It's all I need.

The Anti-Anti-Ibanez Militia!