I have a question concerning not having a bassist in a band. We have a drummer, and two guitars. My band has been through two bassist, and we're not sure on finding another. I play lead guitar for this band. I also play bass pro. for drama plays, so I know what im dealing with, and what im loosing with out one. However our band plays, Mouth Movements, and Isis type stuff. There are many bands in this genre that play without one. what do you all think? maybe adding a third guitar in place of the bass?
Ibanez JetKing II
Dean Caddy
line 6 spider III 15
Ibanez PM7
boss dd20
EH metal muff
crate gx-15
crate gx-120
yamaha rbx-170
oscar schmidt ob100b
dean markley k-20bx
carvin pb100-10
Quote by Gothkoss
I have a question concerning not having a bassist in a band. We have a drummer, and two guitars. My band has been through two bassist, and we're not sure on finding another. I play lead guitar for this band. I also play bass pro. for drama plays, so I know what im dealing with, and what im loosing with out one. However our band plays, Mouth Movements, and Isis type stuff. There are many bands in this genre that play without one. what do you all think? maybe adding a third guitar in place of the bass?

There's ways to give your amp a bassier sound to it. I know a band called Pig Destroyer does that. Get a couple of extra 15" speakers to help put out more bass.
My Gear
Ibanez SR520EX with EMG 81/85 and boost
Peavey Valveking Head w/ Crate Blue Voodoo Cab
Peavey VB-2
Spector Euro 4
Boss NS-2
Boss TU-2
hmm. i don't really know much about bass, but i think play without one, and put up audition flyers or something. thats what we are doing in my soon-to-be band
Quote by ncm414
or play more like The Doors, they never really had a bassist either.

But they did have a piano bass, though.

It could work, I've played in a band with no bassist and it wasn't that strange.
Amocracy over democracy.
u play bass just use one guitarist like billy idol
Quote by notsojoeyb4eva
Prove to her you won't shoot any real prostitutes. Bring one back, and show your mum how curteous and polite you can be with them.
If you can play bass, play bass.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown

u play bass just use one guitarist like billy idol

Thats what I didnt want to do, we use tons of effects. Its delay drenched music. It sounds decent without a bassist because of that, were still practicing twice a week with out one. we just dont want it to be to weird.
Ibanez JetKing II
Dean Caddy
line 6 spider III 15
Ibanez PM7
boss dd20
EH metal muff
crate gx-15
crate gx-120
yamaha rbx-170
oscar schmidt ob100b
dean markley k-20bx
carvin pb100-10
Quote by Gothkoss
Thats what I didnt want to do, we use tons of effects. Its delay drenched music. It sounds decent without a bassist because of that, were still practicing twice a week with out one. we just dont want it to be to weird.

I highly recommend getting a bass player. There are a few bands without them, but a majority of bands have bass players. There's a reason for that, the music sounds better. Bass fills out the sound and helps keep the music moving.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Yeah, you should get a bassist. The band I was in before didn't have a bassist, and while is sounded fine at times, everyone always complained about a lack of fullness at gigs. (Now, admittedly, part of this is we would never turn up loud enough, but still.)
So, yeah, have you talked to your other guitarist (who I assume is a rhythm guitarist?) about it? He might be willing to switch out for a while.

Other than that, if you are just looking for the fullness of sound, you could consider getting a signal splitter, and run a line through an octave pedal to a second amp (a bass amp?). It probably wouldn't tooootally replace the lack of bass player, but I'd think it'd be a decent replacement. (You might need a decent octave pedal if your rhythm guitarist plays alot of chords, though.)

However, I wouldn't add a third guitarist instead of a bassist. That seems silly to me.
If you just have a bassy amp that's loud and scroll the bass to 10 you should be alright. In bands that have that, I don't notice the bass very often.
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
If I had a dollar for every "Do we need a bassist?" thread I'd be rich.

But seriously though. A bassist is always important. I reccomend finding a replacement sooner or later, but in the mean time, any one of the above and below suggestions should work.

And the doors had bassists on thier recordings.
For the love of God. Play bass, if you're as good as you say you are. A band without a bassist is like a fat kid that's not eating.
ok, yeah. my name is silly because I signed up when I was 13.

BEDBUGS
Quote by ratmblink123
For the love of God. Play bass, if you're as good as you say you are. A band without a bassist is like a fat kid that's not eating.

Agreed. Bass is important. IMO, it's more important then guitar, but that's just 'cause I like Death From Above 1979 and Lightning Bolt more then the White Stripes. So yeah, either play bass yourself and find a new guitarist (that shouldn't be hard, guitarists grow on trees), or keep looking for a bassist.
The band I'm in doesn't have a bassist (www.myspace.com/therightfieldchoir) (but we are looking to get one in the next month or so..after our little cluster of shows).

We've been together for almost a year and realy like what we do and all, but we sometimes feel like we lack fullness, as stated before. Also, we just feel like there is a lot more we could do if we had a bassist playing rhythm...more harmonized guitars and such.
Just let the good times roll.
We have came up with a solution, I am going to swich back in forth depending on if we want a leady bass, or lead guitar. I think this will work well, and I tend to push the bass and mids up on my amp while playing guitar. Delay also add so much depth to your sound, sometimes me and our drummer play together and it sounds full.
Ibanez JetKing II
Dean Caddy
line 6 spider III 15
Ibanez PM7
boss dd20
EH metal muff
crate gx-15
crate gx-120
yamaha rbx-170
oscar schmidt ob100b
dean markley k-20bx
carvin pb100-10