I don't know if this should go in the gear and accesories section, but I'm going to put it here.

I really want to put some nylon strings on my acoustic because I'm trying to play some songs by Rodrigo y Gabriela, and the steel strings are cutting my fingers to bits.

So, would it be alright to do this, or do you really need to have a guitar suited to nylon-strings. Also would this make everything else I play sound like crap if I did do it?

My Guitars:
Fender Mustang.
Yamaha FG-413SL.
It probably wouldn't hurt anything, but you might as well be playing a kleenex box with rubber bands on it. The nylon strings will not provide enough tension to drive the soundboard of a steel-string acoustic guitar.

So if you want a nylon strings, I would buy a classical guitar.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
the guitar need a certain bridge because you have to tie the strings to the bridge
Quote by notsojoeyb4eva
Prove to her you won't shoot any real prostitutes. Bring one back, and show your mum how curteous and polite you can be with them.
and nothing would sound like crap just lighter
Quote by notsojoeyb4eva
Prove to her you won't shoot any real prostitutes. Bring one back, and show your mum how curteous and polite you can be with them.
it depends on what type of acoustic you have. i've been them on my ovation before and it didnt sound bad. if your acoustic has a push-pin bridge then it probably wont work. if it has a slide-through bridge it will work and sound fine. you just have to be able to tie the strings
I'd say just stick with the steel strings and tough it out until those callouses build up, or save up and get a classical guitar. Either way, you'll be better off then trying to put the wrong type of strings on your guitar and possibly wasting your money (not that they're that expensive, but if it's that much of an issue, your money would be better served in a classical guitar).

Just my thoughts
Superglue, on the ends of your fingers. It will work until you build up calluses. I would stay away from putting nylon on an acoustic. It just promotes bad habits. Build up those calluses, it will only take a couple of weeks. And like I said, if it gets bad, some superglue on the ends of the fingers will work wonders.
Right-o.

For nylon strings, by a classical guitar or Spanish guitar.

For steel, by a string steel guitar.

Easy as pie.
martin makes nylon strings with a ball end that will fit with a standard steel string bridge
Well see, the thing is my fretting hand isn't getting hurt. I have crazy callouses on those fingers, because I've been playing for a few years now. It's the sides of my strumming fingers that keep getting cut on the strings. Especially my thumb, I keep catching it on the high E and it cuts right through.

Anyway, thanks for the help. What I gather is that I can do it, but I'll need to try and find nylon strings that will work with a push pin bridge, if that's possible.

My Guitars:
Fender Mustang.
Yamaha FG-413SL.
I believe Spanish/classical guitars do not have a truss rod, as the nylon strings do not exert much tension on the neck (if you've ever played a classical, the strings are loose but still sound the same pitch) so putting nylons on a steel-stringed guitar would possibly ruin the neck with the lack of tension.
I haven't played a classical in a while so this whole post could be completely bull****, someone verify.
Nah, most classical guitars don't contain a truss rod, my mother owns one that does however, its pretty unusual. I doubt having nylons on an acoustic would ruin it, but methinks the sound you're going to get out of it will not be very good at all. Acoustics are meant for steel strings, classicals for nylon, and both for a reason. Best not to tamper with it IMHO.
Nylons won't ruin a steel string's neck. It's true the other way around, though. You're cutting your thumb strumming? Thats very odd. I play fingerstyle and I've never even had sore thumb or fingers. How old are your strings? It's possible the high e has worn down or something and developed a "sharp" area. You could try Silk and steel strings, they'll sound a lot better than just plain old nylon strings but also drive the top better. I dunno. I think it's more likely something weird is up with your e string.
Steel strings on a classical guitar are more likely to make instant damage or at least to do it quickly, but over time nylons on a steel string will cause problems.
And I can't say i have evr had a problem cutting my fingers on strings,both electric and acoustic, in fact, on my acoustic the High E string feels much to wide to be able to cut, what gauge strings are you using? are they old? and make sure when you stroke down with the pad of your thumb that your only going down, and not across the strings. You can also try strumming with the backsides of your fingernails, thats how i generally strum, backside of thumb coming up and then backside of index, middle or ring, or all, or a just my index and middle.