Page 1 of 2
I need some help, so..

((I followed the 'guide' thing in the sticky, just hope I'm allowed to post this))

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser:
http://www.schecterguitars.com/index.asp

Ibanez RG1570:
http://www.ibanez.com/eg/guitar.aspx?m=RG1570&c=MRR

OK, simple as - I want to buy one of them. But I can't decide on which..

Advantages
Schecter
  • EMGs (81/85)
  • Original FR
  • Design

Ibanez
  • Edge Pro
  • H-S-H, Versatile Setup
  • Wizard Neck

*** If anyone has a C-1 Schecter Hellraiser FR could they please tell me how the neck is? Or even if they found a link to the dimensions.

Budget:
Really, I have no budget, just around the budget that I have with the two above guitars. Any other recommendations will be appreciated. I don't want some ridiculously priced £1000 guitar.

Music:
I play a lot of metal, but I do like to go clean sometimes. But majority - Metal.

Current Gear:
(no abuse please)
VOX AD30VT
BOSS GT8
And my guitars.. Really just an Indie, because I'm selling my Jackson JS30RR

Current Skill:
Well, I play Metal, so I guess your usual 'skill' for that, although I don't sweep-pick or do legato or whatever. I like to have a solid play as much as possible.

And no, I don't feel like buying them used. Also I am to order them online, so trying them out is out of the question.
---------------
VOX AD30VT
BOSS GT8

Want to build a Jackson, to be fairly freaking honest.

Quote by Kanthras
Put some crap in the hole, like something sticky. And liquid-ish.
deviantART: Click Here
The Schecter is a much more beautiful guitar IMO. I have no experience with either, but I would probably get the Schecter.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
There's a crowd of rabid supporters for both of these, both have their cons and pros.

The Schecter and Wizard necks are pretty much polar opposites. The Wizard is thin, flat, and satin-finished, while the Hellraiser neck is massive, not so flat, and painted.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
i dont know about the ibanez but the hellraiser is a really good guitar. it has a really nice(although glossy) c shaped neck, sounds killer (even though you will have to replace the battery once in a while) and looks absolutely sick
the schecter if its like the other schecters ive played has a sticky neck, and its thick. totally different for the wizard neck of the ibanez. for me if i played metal it would be schecter because i like thick necks and i can deal with the stickyness (its not too bad unless you let it get away from you).
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Well im going for a schecter my self.
Well if your into metal emgs will suit u i my self love em.
And the floyd u cant go far wrong with plus live heard some not so great things about the Edge trem. Well the neck isnt the fastes thing on earth however its not so bad and is really Comfy for me. Mate i would just try em both out on a amp like your own cos its all about The tone and feel that would suit you. but myself i would get the schecter mate.
However its up to you good luck mate.
Stew
my gear:
jackson dk2m
ibanez grg170dx.
peavey vyper 15
warwick corvette 5 string
ashdown 5 15
I don't know if it's just me, or my particular Hellraiser, but I can't really say the neck on mine is very sticky at all. In fact, when I practicing with it, it feels a bit slick.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
imo i like ibanez more

i HATE painted necks

and personally i think emgs are overratted and have no soul...

and i dont like the huge silver bindings on the schecter, i like the nice clean solid look of the ibanez
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
Quote by Teh GIR
and i dont like the huge silver bindings on the schecter, i like the nice clean solid look of the ibanez
Word on that. I know a few people who have reconsidered buying a hellraiser when they saw it in person. The binding is ridiculous as is, but the Schecter stock pics are an example of very good marketing and don't show it off in all the shine. In person, in my opinion, the outfit of that guitar looks gaudy and cheap like a preening hooker.

Your mileage may vary, of course.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Thanks a lot guys.

Anyone possibly got alternative models of Ibanez or Schecter that would be just as good?

Right now it's 3 Ibanez - 6 Schecter

EDIT: My Indie has a fairly wide neck and is also painted, so would it be any disadvantage if I changed to a thinner non-painted neck?
---------------
VOX AD30VT
BOSS GT8

Quote by Kanthras
Last edited by IndieLee at Oct 17, 2007,
Well, consider that the RG is Japanese, and the Schecter is Korean. The RG has a lush molded hardcase tossed into the deal.

Also, consider Edge Pro and OFR. The former is a low profile trem, while the latter isn't. If you're a fan of palm muting, you would probably want a low profile machine if only for the ergonomics.

I'd be getting something with passive pickups, since I'm one of those people who can't get most of their favourite tones from the 81/85. Your mileage may vary, but truth be told, your amp isn't really conductive to the signature EMG sound.

Edit: to your edit, I doubt it. It's changing the other way around which usually hurts.
Ibanez.

The wizard neck is quite nice. I've tried a schecter (not necessarily this) for a second and just didnt like it.

The 7 string schecter i tried was ok, but im sure id like an ibanez rg1570 version better. (i have an Ibanez RG2570E; roughly the same as the 1570 but with different hardware/finish).
you could always get the black schecter hellraiser if you don't like the flashy silver lining. If I had the money, I would probably get the Ibanez and put different pickups in it. As it is right now though I would get the schecter.
WTLTL 2011
Do you have the ability to go try out these guitars? The best one is the one that feels best to you.
I hate EMGs but the Schecter is a far better guitar.
Emo is to music as etch-a-sketch is to art.

Quote by TMVolta19
Music can't really be judged, since it's all on the same level. Unless it's screamo. then it sucks.
Quote by omarrodrigez
I hate EMGs but the Schecter is a far better guitar.
care to mention why? I thought EMGs were its only objective advantage.
You really can't test the guitars? i had a very similar decision (Schecter Hellraiser FR and Ibanez RG2550E) and i picked the Ibanez because there is no Schecter dealership here in iceland so i couldn't test the Schecter. Think if you get the Schecter and when you get it you really hate the neck? (or the same thing with the ibanez).

But i really like the ibanez so i can't say anything about the Schecter. but the best i can say is to test the guitars!
Hmm toughy here.

In my opinion

Edge Pro > OFR
V series < EMG's
Ibanez's pickups are certainly lacking

Wizard > *Whatever Schecter's neck is*

For metal, for shred, Schecter's neck is too thick and it's finished, not as smooth as the Wizard II

The Ibanez will probably be of better construction.

If you can change the pickups somewhere, anywhere down the line I'd go for the RG1570.
Playability > Looks. Also, sure the EMG's are nice, they won't be very special through a solid state amp. I'd take the Ibanez.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Why not give a Jackson SL3 a shot? But of those two, the Ibanez. Higher quality, nicer neck, and more versatile. Not a fan of either though.
The thing about this thread and all the suggestions on it, is that each suggestion is going to be the PERSONAL PREFFERANCE of the one giving the suggestion.

There are going to be people that like the Ibanez better and preffer that, so then will suggest it.

Same with the Schecter (which is my personal preferrence in this case).

What this thread is going to come down to, is "How many people are there that will post and like Ibanez vs. How many people will post that like Schecters."

If the Ibanez Brigade shows up and they all post, Ibanez wins. If the Schecter Coalition shows up, and they all post, Schecter wins. This won't show what's "better," only which has the most posters in favor of.

If you can't try either of these specific guitars out, there are others that will have similar necks or pickups. Many Schecters share a similar neck, so try out a different model and see if you like the neck. Try a guitar with EMGs, to see if you like the sound. Same with Ibanez.

Then go from there.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
id say the schecter, more for your money.
gear.

Schecter Loomis sig.
Engl fireball.
the highest.

CANNABIZZLE

Lets blaze, put this in your sig if you want to get high.
Quote by stew91
Well im going for a schecter my self.
Well if your into metal emgs will suit u i my self love em.
And the floyd u cant go far wrong with plus live heard some not so great things about the Edge trem. Well the neck isnt the fastes thing on earth however its not so bad and is really Comfy for me. Mate i would just try em both out on a amp like your own cos its all about The tone and feel that would suit you. but myself i would get the schecter mate.
However its up to you good luck mate.
Stew

the edge pro trem is terrific, its the 3 that you have heard the not so good things about
Thanks Hakael, there isn't a Schecter dealer in Northern Ireland, but I could try a few Ibanez and hopefully try some guitar with EMGs.

Thanks for everyone's contribution.
---------------
VOX AD30VT
BOSS GT8

Quote by Kanthras
Go with the Schecter, the neck is great and it's worth twice what it sells for.
:
Quote by malachifivebass
you cant make a male musician choose music or sex, its like asking a fat man twinkie or brownie

Quote by iamnotrabid
Quote by metdethslaythrx
Naomi
it's "I moan" backwards
No, it's I maon.

Phail

I WILL one day rule the world, Pm me with the position you want and Ill see if it is open.
Quote by IndieLee
Thanks Hakael, there isn't a Schecter dealer in Northern Ireland, but I could try a few Ibanez and hopefully try some guitar with EMGs.

Thanks for everyone's contribution.

I would highly recommend trying them out. Also, you could try out a Washburn X40PRO as well, they are very well specced. (SD pickups, Schaller Trem).
Quote by avenged_7_fold
Go with the Schecter, the neck is great and it's worth twice what it sells for.
It's worth sixteen hundred dollars?
if i were you, i'd go to matchetts to try the 1570... matchetts' prices are generally pretty good too, you might be surprised.

+1 on most of pifty's points there too.

EDIT: problem with schecter in the UK is sound control has the monopoly... that's never good for prices...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Based on looks alone, the Schecter...from the RG's I've played, there a great guitar, great tone, and a nice feel...I've never played a Schecter, so I can't compare...from what I know about the 2, I'd go with the Ibanez, but thats just cuase thats all I've played.
Their both amazing guitars, I would take any one any day.... but i'd tip my hat slightly in the direction of the Schecter...
Quote by pifty
care to mention why? I thought EMGs were its only objective advantage.

EMGs cleans sound like diarrhea, and they're distorted tones are muddy. The Schecter is just slightly higher quality in my opinion. If you ask someone who is a dealer of both Schecter and Ibanez, most will tell you Schecter is of slightly higher quality.
Emo is to music as etch-a-sketch is to art.

Quote by TMVolta19
Music can't really be judged, since it's all on the same level. Unless it's screamo. then it sucks.
Quote by omarrodrigez
EMGs cleans sound like diarrhea, and they're distorted tones are muddy. The Schecter is just slightly higher quality in my opinion. If you ask someone who is a dealer of both Schecter and Ibanez, most will tell you Schecter is of slightly higher quality.
Right. It costs more. Of course I'd try to sell it over something that costs less.

My personal experience disagrees with you however.
^ +1

haven't tried a hellraiser, but the ones I have tried haven't been as nice as an MIJ prestige.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I actually found the 1570 in Matchetts (as my trust in them has diminished), and it was

1. Light,
2. Nice easy neck

But it was slightly bigger and the pickups were like strangling a cat with each note I played.
So the Hellraiser is out of the question now as pifty said, my amp is the dogs bollicks for EMGs so I think it's more of an investment to buy new pickups than a new better amp after buying the Hellraiser which is also more expensive.

In saying that, I might go for Swineshead Pickups when I change them, seeing as I don't feel like dishing out for EMGs (and also for an active single coil EMG)

Any recommendations on those? I was thinking XBucker(Neck) - SingleCoil-A.M.P. - Venom(Bridge)
---------------
VOX AD30VT
BOSS GT8

Quote by Kanthras
i love schecters and ibanez but
ibanez you want is more expensive and the pickups arent that good and if you buy emg it will cost around 150-200 bucks.
the hellraiser already come with the emg's and floyd rose
btw i love the edge pro and i sometimes think it can be better than the fr
^^ If you're mostly going for humbucker sounds, then I wouldn't even rush to swap the single coil. On the Swinesheads, wait for Dave to hook you up with some advice.
Page 1 of 2