I was noticing that the Mark IV is mentioned in Mesa/Boogie amp threads alot, just wonder what makes them so special, Ive never heard or played on one so I don't know how it sounds. Also, I own a Roadster 2x12 and I think it kicks ass (Only place I could get it was the Mesa store in Hollywood). How does my Roadster compare to a Mark IV? Is my Roadster just as good? I mostly play Thrash metal type stuff (Megadeth, Slayer, Metallica, Pantera, original stuff, etc) I love a heavy ass distortion with alot of treble and gain, which I think the Roadster puts out.
The Mark IV does it better.

The Roadster is rectifier circuitry....I had a rectifier, and have hated it ever since I played the Mark IV. Now, I'm a very happy Mark IV owner.

The amp is more articulate, responsive, and tracks faster than anything....rectifiers are all mud to me.
are Mark IV's just for metal? what other styles can they do?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Squier Classic Vibe Tele
Fulltone Clyde Wah
Fulltone OCD
Fulltone Deja Vibe
Fuzz Factory
Carbon Copy

Boutique Marshall-Style 50watt amp head
Orange 2x12
I play blues, 90s alt rock, and classic rock and I love my Mark IV. It has really good cleans and "in between" crunch. I've had it for almost 10 years and I'd never get rid of it.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Oct 16, 2007,
Quote by HyperBoy2519
are Mark IV's just for metal? what other styles can they do?

Mark IV's are possibly the most versatile amp money can buy. They can do everything from the tastiest cleans to the tightest metal through gritty blues and fat lead tones. However this does mean that they really are a tweaker's amp. The settings are very responsive, and it can take a while to dial in the sound you're looking for. If you're willing to spend the time tinkering, they are very rewarding, but look elsewhere if you want a "just plug in and play" amp. I would choose a Mark IV over a Rectifier in a flash.
It's a pretty insane amp. It won't do ultra high gain stuff, but it'll do pretty much everything else well.

The real draw to this amp, for me, is the multiple effects loops, recording out, and more knobs than Lindsay Lohan's crashed cars.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
The Roadsters and Roadkings are completely different animals from the standard series rectos tone wise. When comparing a standard recto and a RK or RS, the standard rectos have thinner cleans, horrible leads, and dryer rhythms with less articulation.

When comparing the Roadster/roadking with the Mark series, it's all a matter of opinion. All the amps have excellent cleans. Marks have a bit darker cleans, more saturation and more tonal control with the graphic EQ. Roadsters/Roadkings have more channels, more modern (IMO). For the roadkings, they have the ability to use different tubes at once, for even more versatility; kinda neat, not too important but something that the Marks don't have.

For studio use, I'd rather use a roadking, live use, I'd rather use a mark.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Mark IVs are great amps, very tweakable. Sometimes it can be hard to dial a good tone in if you aren't used to Mesa amps. I wouldn't say they are better than rectifiers (or at least the two channel version), just a different beast.
mm, the mark IV is a pretty, eh, i don't wanna say "complicated", so i'll say that it's quite complex. it's very tweakable, has an active and graphic eq, and it's 3 channels cover glassy cleans to heavy chunky distortion. i haven't spent as much time with mine as i'd like, but it's very satisfying so far.

Quote by MESAexplorer
For the roadkings, they have the ability to use different tubes at once, for even more versatility; kinda neat, not too important but something that the Marks don't have.

the mark (IV anyway) can use 2 el34s and 2 6l6's simultaneously though. not to burst your bubble, i really wanna get to try a roadking as they seem to sound a lot better than the 'eh' recto.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Last edited by UnsignedRecords at Oct 16, 2007,
sorry, the "new and improved/revoiced" rectos. not a fan, i heard one cranked pretty decently the other day, and it wasn't too pleasant. dunno why mesa would kill rectos like that =/
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by UnsignedRecords

the mark (IV anyway) can use 2 el34s and 2 6l6's simultaneously though. not to burst your bubble, i really wanna get to try a roadking as they seem to sound a lot better than the 'eh' recto.

I should have mentioned the ability to mix them for certain channels, such as using EL34s for a clean, 6L6s for distortion, and both for leads.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by Say Ocean
Yeah its too bad, my two channel triple is a beast, and the tubes are almost as old as I am I really need to change them.

ah i wanna hear the recto as it should be!
Quote by MESAexplorer
I should have mentioned the ability to mix them for certain channels, such as using EL34s for a clean, 6L6s for distortion, and both for leads.

ooh, that is really neat. pretty sure the marks don't have that.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

^I think the tube mixing is for the marks.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
ha, yeah it is too, but he made it clear that the roadking can assign certain channels to certain powertubes, while the mark can only swap out the first and last 6L6's for EL34's.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

the RK can use different combinations on the fly though I think. You can only switch between EL34 in class A, or EL34 + 6L6 in simulclass with the Mark IV. You can select that with a footswitch if you wanted to though. I don't know if the RK can use 6V6 either, like the Mark can.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
i'm workin on it!

tomorrow i'm pretty sure, it's on my agenda.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by crzywhiteboy

if you think it cant do really heavy metal distortion tell that to lamb of god

Yeah, but LoG don't use that much distortion

It's special because it can do...pretty much everything
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
theyre no more special than any other amp.
the sound in your head, whatever gets you there.
Damn, I seem to remember, that rectos were all the rage a year ago... Year 1984 much?

Anyway, Mark IV is extremely versatile. And that's about it.
Quote by bakk
Hi,
I have been pickin' up some Arabic radio signal things. Every time I turn up my Amp, this crazy Imam starts messing up my chords.

Proud owner of a 1987 Kramer Baretta I w/ spider Guitart.
Quote by Erock503
the RK can use different combinations on the fly though I think. You can only switch between EL34 in class A, or EL34 + 6L6 in simulclass with the Mark IV. You can select that with a footswitch if you wanted to though. I don't know if the RK can use 6V6 either, like the Mark can.

I'm fairly certain it can use 6V6's as long as they are mesa tubes. I'm not too savvy on this biasing stuff, so I'll keep spending a little bit extra for the mesa tubes. Oh well, no big deal.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
I'm fairly certain it can use 6V6's as long as they are mesa tubes. I'm not too savvy on this biasing stuff, so I'll keep spending a little bit extra for the mesa tubes. Oh well, no big deal.

yeah, I've actually tried a few different kinds of tubes with my Mark, and come back to the Mesa, at least for powertubes. They've sounded the best in my amp.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
yeah, I've actually tried a few different kinds of tubes with my Mark, and come back to the Mesa, at least for powertubes. They've sounded the best in my amp.

I would like to hear how some tubes that are typically considered better (JJs and Tung Sols) but I don't think it would be worth biasing 6 tubes every time. Might as well keep my tone consistant.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
If you buy them from the right place, the person will provide you tubes that operate in the proper voltage range to work well with Boogies, which is essentially what Boogie does when they rebrand tubes. I had a couple email conversations with Doug at Doug's Tubes about the subject and he was very conscientious of which tubes he had in stock that ran hot enough for use in my Mark IV. The next time I retube I'm thinking of going with Winged =C= SEDs. Currently I'm using Ruby and they work really well, especially for cleans. They do kind of sap the "in-between" tones a bit, though. Eventually I want to make my Mark IV a high gain setup and use a Fender Twin Reverb or Boogie Lone Star for cleans. As far as preamp tubes, the combo I'm running right now (Tung Sol, Sovtek, and JJ) sounds a bit better than the stock Mesas.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Oct 17, 2007,
is the RK adjustable bias? I thought all Mesa were fixed bias.

If you are going to try different tubes, you just have to make sure the vendor knows and tests for Mesa's bias specs. That's all Mesa does with their tubes, they just test them to make sure they fall in the specific bias range, and then rebrand them with their logo. I've heard they are VERY picky about it though, supposedly they throw out more tubes than they keep. I may try some Tung Sol or TAD at some point, but it's sounded great to me with the Mesa tubes so far, I dunno if I want to really change anything at this point either.
amp clips
amp vids
The roadking is fixed but there are ways to adjust the bias on the amps if I've been reading their manuals correctly...Mesa strongly urges you to just use Mesa tubes though.

The main reason I would change tubes is that Tung Sol's supposedly are much quieter, as in less noise when the guitar is off. Either way, I need to invest in a noise suppressor...

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio