are you allowed to raise money for your own band or recieve donations? or is there any way to do this?
uhm, i put a jar with "support final moment" written on it by the stage (final moments our name)....that and you can tell people about your band, if you're older you can see if you can play at a couple clubs cause then you could get payed like...500-1000 bucks each at least, if you're younger, tell your school about it then you could probably get asked to play at school dances for about 100 bucks apiece or whatever they want to pay you, a thing to remember is to not be too greedy especially if you're just starting out because then you're just trying to make a good impression, once you're more popular and have people who like your sound and would like to hear you ect. then you can probably charge more...ya that and the tip jar, or you could put a basket by the door and stuff and then give the audience little reminders while you're playing like, "ya and btw, if you want to support your local bands, we have a tip jar (wherever you have it)..yes we will take 100's (then laugh...its a joke lol)" lol k thats just an example, hope that helps!
Of course you're "allowed" to. Just carry around an acoustic and a hardshell case. If you don't have a case, get a top hat, sit on a bus bench on a busy street and jam. =]
I know of some cities that require a "street performer" license. Check with your local Chamber of Commerce. It's not that much.

As for your band raising money.. how else are you supposed to pay for things? Your band is a business, not a charity.
I was once heavily prominent on these forums from 2004-2007, let's see how long I can stay now that I'm back.
What I'm doing which I'm not sure will work yet is i put up a change bucket in 2 of my classes and wrote end of year pizza party fund on it. Ill tell you how it works at the end of the year.
getting your drummer to put the jar in front of his kit works though, im the drummer for my band, get him to learn a couple solo's or some tricks and then people will for sure drop money in the jar
my old band had a band fund for PA stuff, merch, and recording. we'd all pitch in $10 a month and save it. We are very close friends and were a very serious band. We made money fast that way.
Kids always bitch about money, but they spend it by taking their girlfriends out, or watching movies, or buying stupid ****. We only had one major interest. The band.

Good luck.
Quote by guitar_hero543
getting your drummer to put the jar in front of his kit works though, im the drummer for my band, get him to learn a couple solo's or some tricks and then people will for sure drop money in the jar

like a trained monkey?
Quote by guitar_hero543
if you're older you can see if you can play at a couple clubs cause then you could get payed like...500-1000 bucks each at least, !

what kind of clubs are you playing at? $1000 each? as in per band member?

i dont think so
Quote by Gator823
What I'm doing which I'm not sure will work yet is i put up a change bucket in 2 of my classes and wrote end of year pizza party fund on it. Ill tell you how it works at the end of the year.

I'm reasonably certain that's that not only misleading, but illegal.
Quote by FuzzyBear
what kind of clubs are you playing at? $1000 each? as in per band member?

i dont think so

I'm sure he ment per gig.
Quote by z4twenny
like a trained monkey?

haha yep pretty much :P works though, and the band tax thing where each band member puts in 10$ also works, my band does that too
Quote by z4twenny
like a trained monkey?

I lol'ed.

Actually, I lol at almost every your post.

But... back on topic.
I saw bands putting those jars like guitar_hero543 described. If they are good, usually they get some money in it.
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.
yeah, thats why im starting to not play bass guitar that much, so i can work on drum solo's and stick twirls and double-stick playing ect.