well ive just recently got a new amp, a tube amp, its a randall rh50t head. i really like it, but it seems its missing something, its has a decent amount of gain, but, not quite as much as id like. is there any pedal out there i should look into that can up the gain? im guessing overdrive not distortion, i have a boss mt-2 but i havent tried it because i heard distortion boxes sound bad with tube amps
Geets:
Dean ML79 w/ OFR
Dean Razorback V
Washburn 2ST Stealth

Amps
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Toneport GX

Pedals/effects
Boss MT-2
ISP Decimator
did you not try it out before buying? if you didn't what do you expect? if you did, then maybe something is wrong with yours or you need to keep playing around to dial it in????

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
nah i couldnt try it out, there are no randall dealers anywhere near me unfortunatly, i decided to buy it after watching youtube videos, and reading reviews. plus ive seen lots of people on here recommending them. but i really like it, it just needs a tad more gain, so what sort of pedal should i be going for?
Geets:
Dean ML79 w/ OFR
Dean Razorback V
Washburn 2ST Stealth

Amps
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Toneport GX

Pedals/effects
Boss MT-2
ISP Decimator
if its new you probably have a 30 day return policy you can always get your money back then do more research for something with hi gain
Hi tom
I say buy a boost pedal!! I have a Dunlop volume+boost pedal that has an adjustable boost up to 6x. It's a discontinued pedal, but if you can find one, jump on it. Any boost pedal should do it though.
-"Sunny Jane" '04 MIM Sunburst Fender Tele. DD HB102(n)
-"Sapphire" Indie Tribal Extreme
-"Joy" Vintage 1100N Acoustic
-"Booty" Black Squier Jazz Bass
Traynor YCS50 1x12 (V30 Speaker)
Mark Bass Little Mk II
1x15 bass cab
Quote by 4117
if its new you probably have a 30 day return policy you can always get your money back then do more research for something with hi gain

why the hell would i want to do that when I LIKE THE AMP
Geets:
Dean ML79 w/ OFR
Dean Razorback V
Washburn 2ST Stealth

Amps
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Toneport GX

Pedals/effects
Boss MT-2
ISP Decimator
To get the best out of it it has to be cranked to a certain volume, making the tubes work harder to get full saturation. At bedroom levels its hard to get the tone you want, I think its best to use a distortion pedal practising, and use the tone you find from your amp's overdrive when playing at loud volumes like practice or gigging, unless you can practice loudly all the time ! That's when you hear the "true" tone of the amp and it sounds so much better than distortion pedals.

The Boss MT-2 is a distortion pedal that creates that cranked overdriven sound, like a wall of cranked overdriven amps. Use it in the clean channel and it will sound fine. It will sound **** if you put it infront of an overdriven amp though, that aint wot its for.

If, like me, you want a little extra you need to use an overdrive or a booster, examples being Ibanez Tubescreamers, Maxon Tubescreamers, Fulltone OCD, Digitech Bad Monkey, MXR Zakk Wylde Overdrive, they'll add some gain and add to your tone.

If you want something more transparent, a booster is a better option. The Fulltone OCD though is apparently awesome, it's an overdrive but very transparent as a gain booster. Gain boosters, for example are MXR Micro Amp, EHX Linear Power Booster, Keeley Katana, ZVEX Super Hard On etc etc.

Stick a EQ pedal in the FX loop and you'll get a gain boost too. Just tweak it accoringly, and you can further sculpt the EQ of your amp.
Quote by scott316
To get the best out of it it has to be cranked to a certain volume, making the tubes work harder to get full saturation. At bedroom levels its hard to get the tone you want, I think its best to use a distortion pedal practising, and use the tone you find from your amp's overdrive when playing at loud volumes like practice or gigging, unless you can practice loudly all the time ! That's when you hear the "true" tone of the amp and it sounds so much better than distortion pedals.

The Boss MT-2 is a distortion pedal that creates that cranked overdriven sound, like a wall of cranked overdriven amps. Use it in the clean channel and it will sound fine. It will sound **** if you put it infront of an overdriven amp though, that aint wot its for.

If, like me, you want a little extra you need to use an overdrive or a booster, examples being Ibanez Tubescreamers, Maxon Tubescreamers, Fulltone OCD, Digitech Bad Monkey, MXR Zakk Wylde Overdrive, they'll add some gain and add to your tone.

If you want something more transparent, a booster is a better option. The Fulltone OCD though is apparently awesome, it's an overdrive but very transparent as a gain booster. Gain boosters, for example are MXR Micro Amp, EHX Linear Power Booster, Keeley Katana, ZVEX Super Hard On etc etc.

Stick a EQ pedal in the FX loop and you'll get a gain boost too. Just tweak it accoringly, and you can further sculpt the EQ of your amp.

i play my amp at a fairly decent volume in my room, i tried cranking it and tbh it didnt sound much different, but turned right down its mushy and fuzzy. i do have a boss metal zone, but like i said i havent tried it yet. the thing is i dont really want to stick a distortion box in front of the amps clean channel, i bought a tube amp for tube tone, i just need something in front of gain channel to make my tone crunch a little better. so your saying if i want a little extra i should get an overdrive pedal, which one would you recommend for metal (e.g killswitch engage, machine head, lamb of god)
Geets:
Dean ML79 w/ OFR
Dean Razorback V
Washburn 2ST Stealth

Amps
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Toneport GX

Pedals/effects
Boss MT-2
ISP Decimator
an overdrive will colour your tone a little, where as a booster will give you more gain but not colour your tone as much.

I recommend an Ibanez Tubescreamer, cause that is what I use to get the gain boost I require for my Marshall and I play metal. Any of the overdrives I mentioned will do the job. The Digitech Bad Monkey is widely used and acclaimed and its extremely cheap. Boss Super Overdrive is very good too and not too expensive. Tubescreamers are the most famously used though. If you have the budget I'd look at the Fulltone OCD. That's what I fancy looking at next.

You will NEED a noise gate, like an MXR SMart Gate, Rocktron Hush, ISP Decimator. There will be too much feedback and hissing. You'll need a noise gate to clean it up for sure.

To use the overdrive as a boost for rhythm, drive is set very low, Level is about 12 o'clock (or a little over depending on your preference) and i like to set the Tone knob all the way up. try it with your metal zone, similar concept and gives you an idea, the gain is set very very low, about 1-2. keep level about 12 o'clock then adjust as you see fit. try and EQ the pedal flat (put the mids and lows to 12 o'clock and tweak if you wish) Trivium's guitar tech was interviewed in Total Guitar mag and said he used MT-2's to slightly boost their Marshalls. The MT-2 is misunderstood, if you get the principles of EQ their is a wide range to tones to be found in it, not just the manual presets !

Using it for leads just turn the knobs all the way up, thats how Zak Wylde uses his overdrive. (dont do that with the mt-2 though, it has too much hair on its balls for that kinda use !)
A Maxon OD808 overdrive would be a good buy. It's exactly the same circuit as the famed original tubescreamers, and yields an excellent smooth overdrive. A lot of metal bands (Killswitch for example) use them (with the gain knob very low, but a decent amount of level) on top of an already distorted amp as they tighten up the sound and add a small dollop of extra gain.
The guys from SikTh use Zakk Wylde overdrives in the same way, and get an awesome live tone with them.
The RH50T doesn't have enough gain for you? There's plenty in that amp. Maybe you're wanting some of that 6L6 low end the EL34's don't have. Find something that will boost the overall signal of your guitar and use that.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Of all the tube amps I've played, if you switch to tube from SS you're always going to feel a lack of gain despite having plenty (this is coming from a mesa recto owner). Most people who use tube amps for high gain applications use the high gain setting or lead settings on the amp for rhythm and add overdrive or boost over top of that for more saturation and more liquidy gain.

Also, if the amp has a bold or spongy type feature, the bold setting gives you a lot more force to the tone.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Buy a clean boost. MXR has one, as do many others, it'll saturate and drive the amp more, but wont colour the tone, so you'll keep that tone that you like.
-"Sunny Jane" '04 MIM Sunburst Fender Tele. DD HB102(n)
-"Sapphire" Indie Tribal Extreme
-"Joy" Vintage 1100N Acoustic
-"Booty" Black Squier Jazz Bass
Traynor YCS50 1x12 (V30 Speaker)
Mark Bass Little Mk II
1x15 bass cab