I need suggestions for a good tube (lawl) COMBO amp for under $500 US, at least 30W TUBE, portable under 30lbs would be great. I need to be able to play clean U2 kinda stuff, blues, jazz, rock, and a moderate gain for other stuff. OHYES and good for gigging.
Last edited by Mlairuk at Oct 20, 2007,
Why not tubes? That's a great budget for a small tube amp...get a Blues Jr and an OD pedal... You'll be set for years!
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
I've heard from a couple friends that tubes are much MUCH heavier. But yeah I guess tryin wouldnt hurt, thanks. Blues Jr is a Fender, right?
used classic 30/palomino v32 sounds perfect. even loud enough to gig.
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Quote by False_God
Vox Valvetronix AD30

My thoughts exactly. Especially since Valvetronix are probably the most realistic sounding modellers, and they have a AC-30 model on there. How can you get a more perfect U2 amp for under $500? (without scamming a n00b on selling their AC-30 for $500).
-"Sunny Jane" '04 MIM Sunburst Fender Tele. DD HB102(n)
-"Sapphire" Indie Tribal Extreme
-"Joy" Vintage 1100N Acoustic
-"Booty" Black Squier Jazz Bass
Traynor YCS50 1x12 (V30 Speaker)
Mark Bass Little Mk II
1x15 bass cab
Quote by Mlairuk
I've heard from a couple friends that tubes are much MUCH heavier. But yeah I guess tryin wouldnt hurt, thanks. Blues Jr is a Fender, right?

yes it's a fender
+1 on a tube amp.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
A Peavey Valveking 50 watt 112 is $449. The Peavey is fairly light in weight and moderate gain. B52 60 watt 112 is a little over $600 but they are very heavy and slightly more modern voiced. I own the VK (I play blues/classic rock) and it may be what you are looking for, fits the bill for your description. I would also look for a used Peavey Classic.
+1 to Blues Junior and OD pedal. For U2, also look into a delay pedal
My Strat/Modded '69 RI Mustang
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
Fender Blues Jr. [JJ Power Tubes, White Grille, Warehouse Speakers Greenback Clone]
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
Quote by Johnonon
+1 to Blues Junior and OD pedal. For U2, also look into a delay pedal

Spring for an AC30! Although the Edge has used a Fender amp as well as a Roland JC120 for his clean work recently.

And delay is a necessity for playing U2 stuff.
Quote by OtisB Driftwood
David Hassolhoff Is the god of death metal

Quote by Kantroce
What's that? I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

My gear
Schecter Tempest Custom
Peavey VK112
Fulltone OCD
Line 6 Verbzilla
Line 6 DL-4
Xotic Effects AC Boost
Rocktron Tri-Wah
The only good solid-state is a broken one...HA

...but anyway, the VOX ad50/30 would be your best bet, although at that price, you shoudl just go with the blues junior or used hot rod. i wish i had originally, i would have made my life alot easier.
Traynor YCS-50>EHX SMM w/ Hazarai>EHX DMM>EHX Holy Grail>EHX Small Stone>EHX Big Muff PI (NY)>EHX Pulsar>Ibanez TS-9DX>Echo Park>Ibanez Vintage Tubeking>Fulltone OCD>Zvex Fuzz Factory> Roto-Machine>Fulltone Wah>MJM London Fuzz>Fender Strat
Quote by Mobius Man
Spring for an AC30! Although the Edge has used a Fender amp as well as a Roland JC120 for his clean work recently.

And delay is a necessity for playing U2 stuff.

yah get the AC30

hell why not get a marshall DSL

or a a fender princeton

hes got a 500 budget you moron

+1 on the peavey valveking
I've never played through a valveking, but I can't imagine it giving off good U2 tones. The Valvetronix I've tried and they're REALLY good, really convincing for a modeller. Plus, Edge uses AC-30s, and the Valvetronix is a Vox with a AC-30 emulation. How much closer could you ask to get at that price? Plus they have onboard delay IIRC and that solves your peoblem of needing a delay pedal.
Mark Bass Little Mk II
1x15 bass cab
AC30.ok. Way too expensive and heavy.
Why would I need an OD pedal with the fender? I'm already gonna get one, but why would I? just wondering

And I'm lookin at dd5 for delay pedal.
may i ask exactly why weight is such an issue? do you have to carry it by hand long distances?
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by Mobius Man

LOL! Too much money and way too much weight in both cases!

I bought a Classic 30, and now recommend them all the time. It gets recommended to you because it's under 40 pounds, about the same size as a Blues Jr or Vox AD30, but much more powerful and suitable for gigging. If you want gigging cleans from a SS amp, you need 50W at a bare minimum. Even that's pushing it. A 30W tube'll handle it no problem.

Go used, you should be able to find a Classic 30 for under $400 without much effort.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by Storm_Bringer_
may i ask exactly why weight is such an issue? do you have to carry it by hand long distances?

I dont wanna buy like a cart or something like that to carry an AC30 around, since it's like 70 lbs. I want stuff where I could just pick up the case and amp and leave pretty quickly too.
Quote by HeartInACage
The only good solid-state is a broken one...HA

Roland Jazz Chorus = Not broken.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Vox Valvetronix AD50. It's a great amp and will nail Edge's tones. And this is coming from a guy who hates SS and modelling amps.
Mark Bass Little Mk II
1x15 bass cab
I agree with the Peavey Classic 30 recommendation .

You might also wanna check out a Laney VC; they are pretty decent AC30 clones.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
I heard the Laney VCs are really unreliable, and they break down a lot.

On that topic, what's the difference between VCs and LCs?
Laney's are overpriced in the US. That's not what you want.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Classic 30/112...I read some stuff and it said the tubes...rattle? What's with that?
Look for a used Fender Roc-Pro combo

IMO it was one of the very best hybrid amps made
Roland Jazz Chorus is a great solid state.

So are the old Fender Super Chorus'.

Both will get you there, and it'll sound amazing, they sound much more natural than any modeler will.
Quote by Mlairuk
Classic 30/112...I read some stuff and it said the tubes...rattle? What's with that?

You can buy a tube retainer on ebay if it really bothers you
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by FacingUsAll
You can buy a tube retainer on ebay if it really bothers you

How loud is the rattling and will it wreck the amp?
It never bothered me, but I haven't played one for an extended period of time. I might be getting a used Classic 50 4x10 in the near future, so I can tell you then .

No it won't wreck the amp.
Quote by utsapp89
i also reccomend the classic 30.
SG
Thunderverb 50
Foot Computers
Beer and snacks
Scenery
I have a Classic 30. It came with individual tube retainers. I have no issues with rattling, and get a lot of compliments on the tone coming out of the thing. I have a handful of pedals lined up, but I play a lot without them at all thru both the clean and lead channels. Sounds mint. It's a great little amp.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I like the idea of a OD into a used Blues Junior, for what you're looking at. Just stick the OD in your pants, your 2 cables in the cabnit of the Junior, and you can carry the amp in one hand and your guitar in another. A simple, tonefull, portable rig.
But why would I need an OD pedal...wouldn't the gain on the blues amp be enough?
But why would I need an OD pedal...wouldn't the gain on the blues amp be enough?

Fenders are noted for their clean sound, they're lower gain amps than Marshall, and I think lower gain than the Classic 30 too. I run a 73 Super Reverb onstage, it sounds great and cranked to 10 it gets a really good rock rhythym sound, and for leads I use a Marshall Bluesbreaker pedal (overdrive). I also run a Peavey MX, super clean amp, and usually that's the one I switch to for distortion, with a Ibanez SD 9 distortion pedal, it gets a better sound overall but if I want to let some feedback in I run the SD9 through the Super. (I run a A/B switch so I have both amps available at all times) The Super does well for almost clean leads but with a bit of dirty in there.

For clean leads, it depends on how clean I want it. The Fender gets a great slightly overdriven sound, you can barely tell it's overdriven at all once you get a full band behind it, so it needs an overdrive pedal to give it a gutsier sound for leads when I want some gain but not outright distortion. If I want really clean, squeaky clean leads, it's the MX hands down, cleanest amp I've ever played, I think Hiwatt is about the only one I've heard that matches it for clean, and the MX is still super clean if the volume is up to 7, where most Fenders (and tube amps in general) are starting to break up. But at that volume, you don't want to stay in the room with it. Not unless it's a BIG room... But for the most part, the Fender will give you a suitable clean lead sound even cranked to 10, it's just a low gain amp that won't get a lot of "growl" like a higher gain amp will. That's why an overdrive pedal might be a good addition. The cranked sound will be a lot like the Rhythym parts in tons of rock songs, the intro to Hold on Loosely (38 Special) is a great example. My Super Reverb pegs that sound, no effects at all, just crank it to 10.

As far as recommendations, I'd go with any Fender tube amp you can afford, 30 watts or more, 12" speaker, or the Peavey Classic 30. I've heard a couple of Classic 30's onstage and they do sound good, the one I almost bought just didn't have enough bass for me. The Classic 50 is also a great amp, (but heavier) Van Wilks has used one for several years, I've heard it many times, and Neil Young was using one when I saw CSN&Y a couple of years ago. I was going to get one years back, but as usual when I went back on payday with a down payment, it was gone...They sound great but more expensive new, I missed a $200 great deal. Used would be a good idea, check pawn shops. Both the Fender and Peavey are very dependable as far as I know, my Super Reverb has done great so far but I've only played it about 3 years off and on. I've run Peavey amps for 20 years or more, never had one that was not reliable as they get. Tube amps are a bit heavier, true, but the sound is worth it, I'll never even look at solid state again. For me it's all tube or forget it.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
GAH. change price limit to 750, I'd like at least 30W tube.
Fender hot rod be good?