So I've heard that the order of your pedals is important in regards to how the effects sound, and how your tone sounds.

Say I have a wah, distortion, delay, whammy pedal, and a flanger. Is there a certain place/good place where each should go?

I'm thinking of getting some hardcore pedal-age for Xmas so I kinda want to know this stuff - I only have 2 pedals right now so it's not a big deal at the moment.
this taken from the back of my envelope filter's "manual":

"Since the order of the effects are very important, they should be ordered as follows:
1. compression effects
2 wah/volume effects
3 distortion effects
4 EQs
5 chorus, flanging, phasing, vibrato
6, Delay and reverb effects"

although, for the record, I like to put EQ all the way at the beginning, and the distortion all the way at the end. But it's a personal preference thing. You'll get different sounds in different orders - it does make a HUGE difference.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Beginning refers to the instrument. I prefer Tuner-Wah. I like my compression at the end better in case my delay gets out of control.
Gear:

Fender Mexi Fat Strat
2005 Taylor 614ce

Fender MIM J-Bass Fretless
try distortion out on both sides of the modulation effects to see which you like best, it's pretty intersting the difference in sound you can get.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
I like having my compressor at the end.

Go figure.

see I like it at the beginning, I don't like it compressing and limiting my effects.

ofcourse I no longer have a compressor, so....

humph.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
I go:

Bass - Tu-2 - Bod100 - EH Little Big Muff - EH Nano Bassballs - Dod Envelope Filter - Crybaby 105Q bass wah - Dunlop M-80 D.I.+
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
Quote by smb
This is probably far more information than you want, but have a good read of www.amptone.com

With all the midterms and papers I have to write, seeing that many links to information is very intimidating.

I will bookmark it for later, however.

Thanks
Quote by UtBDan
see I like it at the beginning, I don't like it compressing and limiting my effects.

ofcourse I no longer have a compressor, so....

humph.

Well, the compressor I have is more for tonal/boosting reasons than for actual compression.

It's on all the time, gives an even but boosted and great sounding tone.

EBS FTW
haha
My loop is as follows:

Bass -> Crybaby 105Q -> Fulltone Bass Drive -> Digitech Turbo Flange -> Digitech Bass Multichorus -> Digitech DigiDelay -> Input of amp -> effects loop send -> (SoundTech gate/compressor -> BBE Sonic Maximizer 462 -> effects loop return) -> power amp.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..