Ok, I understand that if I want to solo a bit using arpeggios, I need to switch arpeggios every time there is a chord change. Does soloing with Scales work this way? For example, if a song is in the key of C Major, do I have to use the C Major scale, or can I use C Minor Pentatonic? Is it all dependant on how you want it to sound?

Also with soloing Scales, do I need to change the scale every chord change or what?

Edit: My guess is that if you are in the Key of C Major, you play a C Major scale and it works because you are within the keyscale and the accompanying chords and formed off of the scale you are playing so it makes sense. Am I correct here or could you actually play, say, D Major Scale over C major Key?
Last edited by CousticStrangla at Oct 16, 2007,
Soloing technique depends on the genre of music. Generally, for rock and/or metal, you can switch between major and minor Pnetatonic. You are right in that it depends on what you are after in the end .

Chris
You do not need to change scales all the time. The way to do it is to find out what key the song is in and use that scale or any scale relative to it.
acually, you usually wont stick with one scale while soloing, but rather u'll combine riffs that are based in several different scales/modes for example, you might play one riff from the blues scales then play one from the pentatonic, then one after that from the dorian. You can even change scales with each chord, which IMO sounds alot better than just soloing in one key, but, it requires alot more knowledge of the fretboard

edit: you asked this question: "or could you actually play, say, D Major Scale over C major Key?"

well...if the progression goes like this C major, D major, F major then you could play in each different scale for the duration of that chord, but, if u play a D major scale over a C major chord its going to sound out of key.
Last edited by chris_libby_88 at Oct 16, 2007,
Quote by chris_libby_88

well...if the progression goes like this C major, D major, F major then you could play in each different scale for the duration of that chord, but, if u play a D major scale over a C major chord its going to sound out of key.

Thanks a lot for the response, really appreciate it. So if C Major is the Key, what would a typical scale progression be?
If you're going to solo over a C major chord progression, using the C major scale or C major pentatonic scale would be your best and pretty much only option. You could use C minor, but it wouldn't sound too good.
wouldn't he be able to solo over with something like G major? Since its the p5 of C?