How hard or dangerous is it to do? I might do it, since I don't like the color, but what risks/precautions/preperations should I do? What paint should I use? Is it worth it ?

Thanks
ive been wondering this
my friend did his, and it like turned out like ****
so idk
take it into a finishing shop
I was wondering that too.

I wanna take my white ibanez rg2ex2 and go black matte.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
My art teacher plays guitar, and I might join guitar club (bunch of retards who dont know how to play signed up, even though he said you need experience, so I hope I get in)

I expect since he's an art teacher, he might be able to help me with this :P
i did this. i took an old guitar that actually didnt even work, so i wasnt risking anything, it was black and i painted it yellow, with just some spraypaint. Of course i took my time and did like primer, the yellow, and then a bunch of clear coats. and i took a lot of time taking a lot of stuff off it, like the bridge and the tuning pegs, and taping up the stuff i couldtn take off. it turned out pretty well, the two guitarists in my band fight over who gets to play it at shows.

OH yeah and i fixed it after i painted it, so it does acutlaly work now.
Did you strip the paint first or just paint over it?

I'll hafta strip mine, it's like way glossy. I doubt I can get over that.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
My IA teacher has spray paint, but I don't know. I'm still getting it, so I'll hold back.
The painting isn't the problem. It's stripping the paint that's already there.
Quote by fly135

I figured it out.
Quote by Ishiga
The painting isn't the problem. It's stripping the paint that's already there.

You can't just paint over it? How can I get the paint that's already on, off?
Quote by Links 2 3 4
You can't just paint over it? How can I get the paint that's already on, off?

There are a few ways. The only one I'm familiar with though is called chemical stripping I believe.

Basically, you apply paint stripper to it which will eat through the primer and paint and you scrape it off.
Quote by fly135

I figured it out.
That's where I heard about chemical stripping, I looked it up before.

My problem right now is pickups so I'm doing that first.
Quote by fly135

I figured it out.
I might just call up guitar center about it and see if anyone can do the procedure for me. Then I'll save up everything I need to have it repainted and have new pickups installed + new strings.
Quote by fly135

I figured it out.
It's so much more fun doing it yourself...

just kidding it's acutually a bit of a pain. I dont really understand how they do it at shops, but when i did it it would alwyas collect dust, cuase the dust sticks to the paint, and then you cant get it off without smearing the wet paint. luckily it doenst affect it that much, jsut little dots here and there.
I want mine to be smooth. Way smooth.

www.espguitars.com

Look up the Eclipse II model. Black vintage with gold trim. I want my ibanez to look like that.
Quote by fly135

I figured it out.
The easiest way to strip paint is with a hot air gun. Makes the paint bubble and flake away very quickly.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio