Page 1 of 2
I searched and found no official Bowie thread.

I say alt and indie because I would hate for bowie to be labeled 'Classic Rock.'

So... favorite album=Low
Quote by Guns N' r0ses
I think its 18 in california but I'm just wonderin cuz if i get caught then I can be like "well legally im allowed to watch it" and they'll be like "k koo"
Indeed, Bowie is too cool for classic rock. I'd have to go with the cliche though because i love the Ziggy Stardust persona.
Ziggy Stardust is realllllly good, but mah favorite is Aladdin Sane. "Panic In Detroit" is just a really frickin' great song.
There's only one girl in the world for you
and she probably lives in Tahiti.
Ziggy Stardust is my favorite, but I'll be honest, I haven't heard his other albums thoroughly. I've had Low for ages, I'll give it a try right now.
Bowie kicks some serious ass.
Ziggy Stardust was the first tape I ever had. My dad gave it to me when I was 4.

I'm so ****ing legit.
Quote by jackbutt
Ziggy Stardust was the first tape I ever had. My dad gave it to me when I was 4.

I'm so ****ing legit.

that is amazing. my first cassette i ever remember getting was the carmen sandiego soundtrack. geeky, no?

anyone want to tell me if anything after scary monsters is worth investing in? everything i have heard from then until now has been mediocre at best. maybe there is a hidden gem out there...
I probably have to say I love Ziggy Stardust the most, but Low is a definate favourite, with Heroes and Lodger coming in after that. Diamond Dogs is awesome too.

As for anything post-Scary Monsters, I'm afraid I have a thing for Let's Dance.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Last edited by Caustic at Oct 17, 2007,
The only time i've had any sort of interaction with Bowie would be 'Lets Dance' because Stevie Ray Vaughan was apart of that whole thing. But that was awhile ago, so I think I oughtta take some time to get with some more albums.
Let's Dance is my favourite song at the moment. I have Hunky Dory and Stardust, both great.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

Quote by uhh_me?
anyone want to tell me if anything after scary monsters is worth investing in? everything i have heard from then until now has been mediocre at best. maybe there is a hidden gem out there...

I think it's great, has some good tunes. But just great, nothing more...I'd say get it.

Wonder what happened to the Pixies thread. This is mildly relevant because Bowie and Black performed together.
^^bowie also covered cactus a few years ago on one of his albums.

favorites either hunky dory, ziggy stardust, or heroes. all are pretty awsome i've never fully been able to get into low though for some reason even though its considered one of his best.
Quote by Doolittle
I think it's great, has some good tunes. But just great, nothing more...I'd say get it.

are you talking scary monsters? i already got it and love it, babycakes.

i was talking post-sm.

ha. i called you babycakes.
Bowie is god...hes one of the reasons for alt/indie rock. My faves are Station to Station and side A from LOW. Then Aladdin sane, Ziggy Stardust and The man who sold the world. I saw him last with tin machine in a huge club with 800-1000 people..that was awsome.
Quote by uhh_me?

i was talking post-sm.

i've only heard Fashion, which is awesome.
does scary monsters pwn low?
Quote by Guns N' r0ses
I think its 18 in california but I'm just wonderin cuz if i get caught then I can be like "well legally im allowed to watch it" and they'll be like "k koo"
Attention all Bowie fans, as said I don't own any Bowie albums (yes, I know this is sad). However I am puting in an order to my record club and I plan on picking up a few. I'm going to be getting 7 albums, I wasn't planning on getting all Bowie, but thats not a closed door option either (I wanted to pickup a Beck LP I dont have as well as some Talking Heads albums I'm missing too).

So, even though I have a decent idea of the Bowie records I'd like to dab into first, what do you suggest I go with? Here's the albums that the record club offers:

'Space Oddity' (1969)
'The Man Who Sold The World' (1970)
'Hunky Dory' (1971)
'The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust' (1972)
'Diamond Dogs' (1974) (2-disc 30th Anv edition)
'Young Americans' (1975) (2-disc edition; a few bonus tracks and a DVD)
'Station to Station' (1976)
'Heroes' (1977)
'Low' (1977)
'Lodger' (1979)
'Scary Monsters' (1980)

They also have 'David Live' (1974) & 'Stage' (1978), but I don't really want to pick up a live album quite yet.
Quote by WyldeGibsonPlyr

'Space Oddity' (1969)
'The Man Who Sold The World' (1970)
'Hunky Dory' (1971)
'The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust' (1972)

amended to become a recommendation list.
Quote by uhh_me?
amended to become a recommendation list.

Yeah I had planned on picking up majority of those first anywho, but something about 'Young Americans' is really appealing to me, and I don't know why really. Also, I keep hearing such good things about 'Low'.

Agh, I don't know what to do!
Quote by WyldeGibsonPlyr
Yeah I had planned on picking up majority of those first anywho, but something about 'Young Americans' is really appealing to me, and I don't know why really. Also, I keep hearing such good things about 'Low'.

Agh, I don't know what to do!

low is a tough one to get into as a first bowie album. that is why i took it out of the list.

(also, did you post in the xiu xiu thread at 11:16 and then delete it? it says you did in my subscriptions, but when i look i see nothing)
Quote by uhh_me?
low is a tough one to get into as a first bowie album. that is why i took it out of the list.

(also, did you post in the xiu xiu thread at 11:16 and then delete it? it says you did in my subscriptions, but when i look i see nothing)

I know! Thats so wierd, because I did post in the thread, and it says I did but theres nothing there! And it won't let me re-post anything because it says I already posted it.

I think I may skip 'Low' for now then.
Yeah, go for the albums with his hits on first, then you'll have some familiar territory. Then go for the more obscure ones, or the Berlin Trilogy.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Thats probably what will happen, but I really find that kind of an approach kind of bland. I mean I see what your saying, I deffiently wouldn't want to go for the weird right away, but at the same time shooting for the hits leaves you a little dry. You know?

I don't know what I'm gonna do, but I deffiently need some Bowie.
Alright so I figured out my dad has a copy of 'Ziggy Stardust', so theres no sense in picking that up for myself right now when I can get others first.

And I have now put the order in good people, so thank you very much for the help. I went with 'Space Oddity', 'The Man Who Sold the World', 'Diamond Dogs', 'Young Americans', 'Heroes', & 'Low'. I plan on going out tomorrow and picking up 'Hunky Dory', because I believe I saw it at Best Buy the other day (yes, Best Buy's selection really isn't that bad. I shop there a lot actually, especially considering there isn't a decent local around here).

Oh, wooh!
Last edited by WyldeGibsonPlyr at Oct 19, 2007,
Quote by uhh_me?

i was talking post-sm.

Call me that any time

well I haven't heard too many good things about post-SM....so iDk loL

Bowie's a ****ing genius.

It's good to see that I'm not the only young person who likes Bowie. Favourite album is Ziggy Stardust, but it's the only one I've got. I imagine I'd like Alladin Sane as well, Jean Genie's my favourite kind of Bowie song. I like the other styles he covered as well, but not as much.

Nice to see a thread.
So who LOVES the Seu Jorge covers? You know, the ones from life aquatic. that are now on an album of his.
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray > Digitech BP200 > Gallien Krueger 400RBIII/115

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

damn yertle, you got some groove
Quote by Yertle
So who LOVES the Seu Jorge covers? You know, the ones from life aquatic. that are now on an album of his.

those are great. so relaxing.
Right now I'm enjoying the hell out of Hunky Dory (Oh! You Pretty Things, Life on Mars, Queen Bitch, Song for Bob Dylan and Andy Warhol are all nugget good songs).

What do you guys think of Pin Ups?
Last edited by WyldeGibsonPlyr at Oct 24, 2007,
^meh, it's alright.
Quote by Guns N' r0ses
I me some Bowie. Favorite album is either Ziggy or Hunky Dory, both are excellent. Favorite song has got to be Suffragette City.
My all gold grills give her cold chills
Said she gotta coke feel cuz I'm sooo trill.
^why????
Quote by Guns N' r0ses
Aladdin Sane has to be my favorite Bowie album. I think I'm going to try to be Ziggy Stardust for Halloween.
^bad idea lol.
Quote by Guns N' r0ses
Page 1 of 2