So basically i have fallen for the teles because i love their shape and look. but i keep hearing that they really don't do distortion so well because they don't have humbuckers (please enlighten me on this), and i really like to play rock with a fair amount of distortion. so i need to know which teles are good for rock, i want it to be just as able as a gibson. And does it really matter if they can play rock or not because i can just change the pickups if i want right? so i can make it sound like whatever i want. So my question basically is which Tele does rock really well and would it be a big deal if i change the pickups on it?
NO, IT CAN ONLY DO COUNTRY!! FOO!

j/k
Just look at Jimmy Page! he started on a Tele!
and I think you could definately get a humbucker-esque single coil to put in a tele, if thats what you want
Page actaully used a Tele on the entire first Zeppelin album, which was all rock. John 5 uses a humbucker in bridge position and plays some pretty intense metal.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
They make Teles with humbuckers. Two humbuckers, humbucker in neck/single in bridge, etc. And yeah, Page used a Tele on Led Zeppelin I, so it can handle distortion nicely.
if your planning on buying a tele with the single coil pickups but want hum canceling, EMG, seymour duncan and dimarzio all make a variety of hum canceling telecaster replacement pickups.
Fender Tele's are great guitars. Always remember that its not what the guitar can do, it's what YOU can do with the guitar. If you want to push it to the limit with distortion and everything, go for it! If you just want to do country picking, rock on!

However, if you are serious about buying one, it is key to pay attention to detail. In this sense, try to get an American made Tele. Yes it is a chunk of change, but it is certainly worth it in the long run.
Current Rig:
Fender CS Eric Clapton Strat
Fender '65 Twin Reverb Reissue
Digitech Crossroads Pedal

In the stereo: The Rolling Stones - Let It Bleed
People who tell you that you need a humbucker to turn on distorion are liars. It's just a different sound. Try it out, you'll decide if you really need buckers or not.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
I use distortion on single coil pickups all the time, probably more than on humbuckers, both strat and telecaster (both my teles are copies). All work quite well, and the tele works fine for rock - clean, distorted or otherwise. I use one for slide a lot for rock and blues, and I happened to snag one with a very good bridge piclup, nice sounding clean and great through a distortion pedal.

Don't let anyone tell you single coils don't sound good with distortion, what do you think Clapton uses almost exclusively these days? Single coil strats...I've seen plenty other players use them and I use my squier strat more than any other guitar, and I use it clean, distortion, cranked up tube amp raunch and roll and overdrive.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
I blew my own mind when I played my Tele through a Marshall stack with Gain.
It's all in the amp, not the guitar!
2 words, jim root
he even has a sig tele out now with 2 EMG humbuckers so its possible
Beggles

Quote by the humanity

if he does not post pics, he obviously has installed a pickup and bridge on his house broom for some brutal sweep picking.

^ yeah, but it's a mahog body too, so it's basiacally a metal guitar with the tele look, nothing to do with the 'true' s-s Telecaster.

Anyways, a Tele will do you fine for rock. Don't under-estimate those single coils
Yes it can do rock, but can it do it well? It depends on what you define by rock, classic rock and even some modern rock it will cover it in piss IMO, but if you want high-gained rock it could struggle and may lack the umph of the hum.

If you did get the standard tele, and find it isnt doing it as well as you would like, you could always upgrade the Pups, get an upgraded bridge which is abit hotter maybe.
Quote by Ippon

+1

[/looks like Fr00sh]
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
If you want a humbucker AND single coil, the Tele Custom is a beautiful guitar.
Happy, lost and still unaware.
Quote by Alicee
I gave my brother a hand job. It was weird at first. It was weirder after.

Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe & Epiphone ES-335 "Dot"
Laney VC15 + Ibanez TS808

I Don't Play Metal.
^Do you mean a humbucker in the neck, or bridge? Because a humbucker in the neck is sexual, but a humbucker in the bridge = shitty.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Quote by CORT noob
People who tell you that you need a humbucker to turn on distorion are liars. It's just a different sound. Try it out, you'll decide if you really need buckers or not.

Dang straight. You can play metal on a bloody tele if you want. I'm all for playing whatever you want throught whatever you want. If you want a tele, GET ONE, and you'll find a sound from it that you like.
Quote by Ippon

i assume thats page from his facial expression? (the octopus mouth)

but the hair looks like John Frusciante too...

but from recall, i think Jimmy Page used a black tele live in the 70s... the layla footage with clapton, page, beck, and other guys, he's using a black tele.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by Kartman
^Do you mean a humbucker in the neck, or bridge? Because a humbucker in the neck is sexual, but a humbucker in the bridge = shitty.

Care to explain that?
there's not a lot i can add to this thread that hasn't already been posted:

Telecasters will be fine for rock. The distortion you'll get will have a lot more bite than humbuckers will give you, but with less low end punch. I think its a great sound for rhythm playing, and the neck pickup will give you a deeper, more resonant tone for soulful leads. I'm especially fond of the sound of a distorted tele neck pickup.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Anyone who thinks teles can't do distortion should hear mine. It can actually sound pretty meaty at times, and has an absolutely screaming lead tone.
Quote by Vermintide
Anyone who thinks teles can't do distortion should hear mine. It can actually sound pretty meaty at times, and has an absolutely screaming lead tone.

Here's proof ... but with the Bridge Humbucker that Kartman is nuts/goes apesh!t excited about!!!

I love the SS tele's. If you don't think that they can get hard, tell that to Jimmy Page, or even harder, Tom Morello of Rage Against the Machine. Both of those make me want a telecaster like no other.

Oh, and that Jimmy Page telecaster picture is my computer background.
Guitar:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Amplifier:
Fender Blues Junior - Eminence Red, White and Blues
Effects:
Fulltone OCD
Electro-Harmonix Nano Small Stone
Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo
Dunlop Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Quote by ams914
So basically i have fallen for the teles because i love their shape and look. but i keep hearing that they really don't do distortion so well because they don't have humbuckers (please enlighten me on this), and i really like to play rock with a fair amount of distortion. so i need to know which teles are good for rock, i want it to be just as able as a gibson. And does it really matter if they can play rock or not because i can just change the pickups if i want right? so i can make it sound like whatever i want. So my question basically is which Tele does rock really well and would it be a big deal if i change the pickups on it?

They've done rock and distortion before even with single coils. Teles are not just a one trick country pony. People throw humbuckers in them too and there's nothing wrong with that.

One problem you might run into though is that a Tele that does have single coils is going to be more susceptible to 60-cycle hum the more you crank up the gain/OD/distortion. Like Strats they can get pretty noisy if not shielded properly or if the conditions are wrong (lots of florescent lights or a computer nearby). Just something to consider.
Quote by Lightitup
I love the SS tele's. If you don't think that they can get hard, tell that to Jimmy Page, or even harder, Tom Morello of Rage Against the Machine. Both of those make me want a telecaster like no other.

Oh, and that Jimmy Page telecaster picture is my computer background.

Here's a slightly larger pic link: http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j284/JudokaUSA/Tele/JimmyPage_OaklandJuly241977.jpg

or, did you mean you have a high-rez wallpaper? If so, post it!

Quote by Ippon
Here's a slightly larger pic link: http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j284/JudokaUSA/Tele/JimmyPage_OaklandJuly241977.jpg

or, did you mean you have a high-rez wallpaper? If so, post it!

Haha I wish I had a nice background. I just used that bigger one in the center a long time ago. It's such an awesome pic...could be my favorite of Jimmy Page.
Guitar:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Amplifier:
Fender Blues Junior - Eminence Red, White and Blues
Effects:
Fulltone OCD
Electro-Harmonix Nano Small Stone
Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo
Dunlop Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
the rockwiz guitarist uses a telecaster as his main guitar
Quote by musical donkey
cyclobs you are demented..... in a good way
i like the poster who said use whatever you want for whatever sound you want. Tele's are awesome and that is an awesome looking guitar in the Jimmy Page picture. Its been mentioned but Tom Morello uses a Tele for drop D such as Killing in the Name so that says it right there if it can handle distortion and heavy od. I'd leave the Tele in a single-single pickup setup but thats just me. Besides don't single coils distort/od easier?
not sure wut ur budget is but i know G&L make double humbucker teles, im sure fender does too but G&L is another company to think about
XBLive Gamertag: ecdeluxe1000 send me friend requests (make sure u put UG in the message somewhere)
Quote by DSOTM80
Besides don't single coils distort/od easier?

not necessarily, it all depends on the output of the pickups, but as a general thing humbuckers distort easier.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.