I haven't really checked the intonation on my guitar in a bit, and when I checked it today it was quite a bit off. It's been extremely cold the last few days, and my question is if that would have affected the intonation, because I don't want to bother fixing it if it'll go back to normal or something once the weather goes back to normal.

Also, if that's not what caused the intonation to change, what could have? I've heard that resting your wrist on the tail piece can mess it up; could that be it, even though my guitar has a fixed bridge?

Help appreciated.
Quote by cubedeathk

No my friends Dinosaurs walked this earth with Man.

I tune my guitar regularly; I can't stand playing it when it's out of tune.
I could guess as to the mechanics of the effect of cooling metal on string intonation, but to suffice it to say that yes, the extreme cold will affect the intonation, as will heat. When it gets hotter, the guitar will not go back in tune, as releasing tensile strength takes much less energy and increasing it.

Rapid alternate picking, bending strings, bending the neck, etc. can affect the intonation of your guitar, especially if it's cheap.

And unless your guitar is unbelievably, miserably awful, I don't think that RESTING your hand on the tail piece will affect your intonation.
Originally posted by Capua47:

Oh well if your from austrailia then grades shudn't matter considering your just gonna grow up to be ol' stevie erwin eh?!

Gear:
Schecter Omen-6
Peavey Valveking 212
Metal Muff
Metal Zone
Jimi Hendrix Wah
Quote by listless

And unless your guitar is unbelievably, miserably awful, I don't think that RESTING your hand on the tail piece will affect your intonation.

That will never affect your intonation, I can lift my TOM bridge up while the strings are on it, and the intonation is not affected. I always check my intonation every time I change my strings.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Okay, upon further inspection, it appears that when my open E is in tune, my twelth fret E is flat, and my 24th fret E is sharp.. What the hell is wrong with my guitar?

Is it a truss rod problem or something ?
Quote by cubedeathk

intonate it at the 12th, and then recheck. it could just be a high fret at the 24th throwing it off.
compare fretted 12th to open string and to harmonic 12th.

u'll never get a perfect neck. just get it as close as possible.

and strings just go out of tune as they stretch. it's just how it is.

you shouldnt leave it, just as you wouldnt leave ur open tuning wrong.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
intonate it at the 12th, and then recheck. it could just be a high fret at the 24th throwing it off.
compare fretted 12th to open string and to harmonic 12th.

u'll never get a perfect neck. just get it as close as possible.

and strings just go out of tune as they stretch. it's just how it is.

you shouldnt leave it, just as you wouldnt leave ur open tuning wrong.

I remember reading that the saddles are very sensitive and that you shouldn't need to move them very far at all. I moved my high E saddle from being at around the middle to being all the way at one side, and there was little difference. Also, I don't think it's a high fret because the 24th fret is only sharper than the open string on the high E string.

When I first got the guitar around a year ago I had to get a new bone nut put in because the stock one was far too high and caused intonation problems, could that have anything to do with the problem I'm having now ? =\

I've moved the saddle as far as I can and it's still very flat at the 12th fret, what should I do?

And thanks for all the help so far.
Quote by cubedeathk