Could someone explain these things to me better. I have an idea what they are.

Picardy third is like when you start in minor and end in major?

and empty fifth is like a power chord?
"In the name of God, impure souls of the living dead shall be banished into eternal damnation. Amen"

Hellsing Organization

A picardy third was invented when writing in minor keys was punishable by the church. So all those classical dudes you wouldn't care about decided to write in a minor key, and end it on the root chord, but in a major chord. Like a Am, Dm, Fmaj, Emin, Amaj (A randomly made up progression). It just ends on the minor key root chord with a raised third to make it a major chord, it sounds kinda cool too. Try it.

An empty fifth I've never heard of, but it could be that a fifth isn't always used in 4 part voice writing, therefore the 5th isn't played, but is implied in the chord.
Quote by coffeeguy9
A picardy third was invented when writing in minor keys was punishable by the church.

I'm not very up-to-date on my music history, so I've never heard anything one way or the other on the "punishment" part. Is there anywhere I could look further into that?
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Quote by psychodelia
I'm not very up-to-date on my music history, so I've never heard anything one way or the other on the "punishment" part. Is there anywhere I could look further into that?

its just what I remember from my music theory class, forgive me if I'm wrong?
Thats what my teacher said. I think an empty fifth acctully has a fifith in it, it has no third apparently.
"In the name of God, impure souls of the living dead shall be banished into eternal damnation. Amen"

Hellsing Organization

It probably wasnt punishable. Music wasnt sacred or anything; it was commissioned of composers by the church. If you used it, your work was probably just rejected, or you had to omit it.
I thought it was the tritone interval that was "illegal". Diabolus in musica and all that crap.

Don't know about empty fifths, though.
Quote by Chaos Guitar
Picardy third is like when you start in minor and end in major?
I've never encountered the term "empty fifth", and it does not appear in my favorite resource, the Harvard Dictionary of Music. The HDM does, however, have this to say about the Picardy Third:

The major third as used for the final chord of a composition in a minor key. This practice originated c. 1500 when, for the first time, the third was admitted in the final chord of a piece.

Later in the article we learn that it continued to be used until the end of the baroque period (c. 1750).
All things are difficult before they are easy.
- Dr. Thomas Fuller (British physician, 1654-1734)
Quote by Freepower
For everything you need to know - gpb0216.
Picardy? isn't that written differently? Can't remember, but I'm familiar with the idea.

Anyways, I read it was used because then church goers wouldn't walk out of church depressed because of the music.
Empty fifth, bare fifth, power chord - A chord without third, just perfect fifth.
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.
Yea thats what I thought it was thanks for everyone's help.

Hellsing Organization