Page 1 of 2
Mini Spam:

My buddy said that he wanted to buy a new guitar because his sister took his acoustic to school and isn't giving it back. He said he'd want to pay like $300ish.

Today we went to a couple of small music stores in the area.

First off was Hix Brothers Music. Not the biggest selection, some Epiphones, Fenders, Samicks, Deltatones, Schecters, and Ibanezes (and a few high-end Parkers that are ****ing spectacular). We plugged into a Fender Champion and a Fender Blues Jr. I'd never played a Champion before; that thing is really quiet; a lot quieter than my Epi VJ (and a lot more saturated). When I try out guitars, I like to put them through as plain an amp as possible so the unique elements of the guitar stand out.

I'd pick up a guitar, and if it passed my cursory inspection, I'd hand it to him and let him get a feel for it.

Here's a list of guitars that we tried out:
Schecter Omen 6 - $300 - Nice smooth neck. Good guitar for the price.

Used Epiphone Limited Edition Les Paul Studio - It was only $250, so I figured I'd give it the run through. The neck was pretty cosy, but the pickups were very bland.

Ibanez GSZ120 - $200 - Nice sparkly red finish; not so nice lifeless poplar body.

Dean Evo Noir - $300 - For a big heavy mahogany guitar, this guitar had some bright tone; not very warm at all. It played nicely (he liked it a lot) but the pickups definitely had to go.

Deltatone ST Classic - $300 - One of the better strat copies that I've played; this thing felt very solid and had a very cozy neck. Pickups were pretty chimey also; I approve of this guitar .

Epiphone Faded G400 - $250 - Very light, but the pickups were very muddy and bland. My first guitar was a G400, and I'm glad he didn't like this one because I would've had to impose my jedi mind trick on him.

Schecter Corsair w/ Bigsby - $700 - I didn't really like this guitar. Had a decent feel to it, but the tone coming out of the pickups was very bright and didn't really sound like a semi-hollow at all. I've come to the conclusion that I love Bigsby's.

Ibanez Artcore w/ Bigsby (It was bright blue; I'm not sure what model it was) - $400 - Far better than the Schecter. Got that classic semi-hollow tone down pat.

Epiphone Dot Studio - $300 - Probably one of the best Epi Dots that I've ever played. It felt really nice and solid, and put out some nice warm and smooth tone.

Parker Fly Mojo - $2300ish - I couldn't really put this thing through it's paces since the manager was basically standing over me as I played it, but the one word I could use to describe this guitar is "Flawless". Holy amazingsauce, Batman! It was so light, but the tone was silky smooth and very lively; excellent pickups. It resonated like a bell. I abused the trem a couple of times and it stayed in tune. Drool factor = 512423.

After messing around there, we went to this music store called Leapin' Lyrics, a little place on main street in the town that I live in. Why'd we go here? Because they have a bunch of Michael Kelly guitars! At crazy low prices!

Holy snap, I fell in love with this place.

They didn't have much in the way of amp selection. Some Johnson amps and some amps that I hadn't ever see before and couldn't even figure out what brand they were. I ended up plugging into a Peavey Audition 110.

Michael Kelly Hybrid Special - $490 - They had 2 of these, and both of them had me wanting them. You can get so many usable tones from this thing; it's ridiculous. I could definitely see myself getting one of these soon. The acoustic tone wasn't like the angry "stabbing" acoustic noise that you get from plugging in a cheaper acoustic/electric guitar; it was surprisingly full. The pickups were nicely balanced and warm.

Michael Kelly Patriot Shadow - $320 - This is the guitar that I wanted him to get. ****ing ridiculous deal for this guitar. It weighed a TON, and the tone reflected it. So warm and smooth; it sustained and resonated for days. The neck was smooth and quick. I loved it. Very sexy abalone block inlays. I've always recommended Patriots over Epiphone Les Pauls, and this guitar just bolstered my opinion even more.

Michael Kelly Valor Custom - $320 - Wow. Low prices! There were 3 of these in different finishes, and they all played surprisingly similar which is a tribute to MK's quality control in Korea (whatever factory is making these things is a good one ). These were very lively guitars that were begging to be rocked out with. I really like the direct-mounted Rockfield pickups. These things beat the pants off of any PRS SE that I've ever played, hands down.

Michael Kelly Valor Flame - $280 - Also a great guitar. Not as sexy as the Customs, but still worthy of buying.

Michael Kelly Deuce Phoenix - $400 - This guitar was AMAZING. I'd seriously put this guitar up against any of the 335s that I've played, it was *that* good. The neck felt made for my hands, and the tone had a good combination of warmth and bite. I am contemplating selling my S-1 Blackjack to pay for this guitar (Paying for rent, school, and a car are all overrated ).

Michael Kelly Vibe - $400 - I liked this guitar a lot, also. Loved working that Bigsby. There were 2 of these that I didn't really get to play much because my hands wouldn't let go of the Deuce Phoenix.

They had a bunch of Jay Tursers there, but none of them were noteworthy.

I asked him what guitar he felt the most connection to, and out of all of them he chose the Epiphone Dot Studio, of which he is now the proud owner.

/endspam

PS - Anybody want an S-1 Blackjack with Earvana Compensated Nut and a Schecter hardshell case?
PPS - Go buy Jimmy Eat World's new album, "Chase This Light" - it is ****ing spectacularasmic.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Last edited by FacingUsAll at Oct 17, 2007,
you call this mini spam? dayum

too bad you didn't walk off with any guitars... or did you?

>_>
<_<
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008

It started off mini? I guess I didn't realize that I had that much to say .

That Deuce Phoenix will be mine!
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by UnsignedRecords
you call this mini spam? dayum

too bad you didn't walk off with any guitars... or did you?

>_>
<_<

I asked him what guitar he felt the most connection to, and out of all of them he chose the Epiphone Dot Studio, of which he is now the proud owner.
FUA went the extreme opposite of t he typical "Which guitar ..." or "XXX vx. YYY ..." threads where people haven't even tried them out.

He actually played them, then bought one. Kudos!

^

I'm kind of afraid of what this thread would have become if we had gone to Guitar Center also .
Quote by utsapp89
She will be yours.

Oh yes...

she will be yours.

Do you accept...cash? Cha-ching! Cha-ching!
I love that movie.
Quote by terryguitar
GROW UP WE DONT NEED 2 CHEAT WHEN OUR KIDS ARE BEAUTIFUL

Quote by blynd_snyper
Ummm, petrol? Nip down to your local petrol station, buy a litre of the stuff and soak your balls in it, light them up and start playing with them.
So would you say that Michael Kelly Valor Custom T would be better than a Prs Se Custom?
Quote by rockr09
So would you say that Michael Kelly Valor Custom T would be better than a Prs Se Custom?

Better by far.

I've been pretty disappointed by most of the PRS SEs that I've played; they have been pretty lifeless and almost toy-like.

And to even think that at that store the Valor Custom costs $320 compared to the $500-$600 that an SE Customs costs... it's really no contest what guitar you should buy.

Quote by utsapp89
It's a better guitar, regardless of what price you can get it at
Quote by utsapp89
can't beat that
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Well, its still cheaper than the PRS regardless. Did the one you try have a trem? Did you see how well it would stay in tune?
One of the 3 had a trem, and it stayed in tune well (although I didn't do any divebombs or anything).
Quote by utsapp89
you didnt play any washburns. . .
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
That is one epic day.

I like Epiphone Dots, they are nice!
Quote by TiMaRmStRoNg101
there was once this girl
in my school
and she was like
'greenday is so punk'

and i was all
omgelitist
'fawkofffffffffff'
and punched her in the face.
cause i can do that
cause I know more about punk rock and stuff
Quote by tubadude
you didnt play any washburns. . .

They didn't have any.

*shrug*
Quote by utsapp89
sweet! I don't think you can get those michael kellys over here, but I'll keep an eye out. EDIT: those US prices make me sad too...

You wore trousers to the guitar shop, right? o_O
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Oct 17, 2007,
I'd actually probably suggest the Epi Dot Studio. I've played it, and it's a fun guitar, and that's not a bad price actually.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
Quote by Dave_Mc
sweet! I don't think you can get those michael kellys over here, but I'll keep an eye out. EDIT: those US prices make me sad too...

Since the US is the center of the universe, most prices, like gas (petrol), make other Earthlings sad.

Also, remember FUA is in a "rebellious" phase, going pantsless and wearing panties are parts of it, being the crazy MidWesterner.

Quote by Dave_Mc

Yeah, this time I wore pants.

I agree that the prices are really crazy there .

Quote by Ippon

Also, remember FUA is in a "rebellious" phase, going pantsless and wearing panties are parts of it, being the crazy MidWesterner.

Quote by utsapp89
o_O

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Nice spam. I wanted an Epi Dot (or preferably sheraton II) till i got my hands on my used Gibson ES 135.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by FacingUsAll
They didn't have any.

*shrug*

then it isnt a real guitar store. . .
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Quote by tubadude
then it isnt a real guitar store. . .

Yeah it was actually a fake one.

He bought an Epi Dot Studio and it turned out to be just a cardboard cutout.

Pretty crazy!

Quote by utsapp89
Hey, I have a question, after you mentioned michael kelly, i checked some guitars out and the Patriot black with the rockfield fatass pickups looks great.. I'm not sure any stores here stock michael kelly, so could you tell me how they would hold up to say, a schecter c-1 blackjack wich is basically $100 more?
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
They are definitely comparable guitars. I have a Schecter S-1 Blackjack that I like a lot, and I've played a couple of MK Patriots that I probably would have traded it straight up for. I highly doubt you'd be disappointed getting it .
Quote by utsapp89
Alright, thanks

Now i just have to get 450 dollars from somewhere Dx
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
how are those rockfield pickups, by the way?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

Yeah, I was going to ask the same thing!
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

The Rockfield SWCs in the Valor Custom are a little overwound; the neck has a little more attitude than my '59 does. Very warm and smooth.

I preferred the SWC bridge pickup over my JB (of course I'm not a real big fan of the JB in the first place...). It's what I want a bridge pickup to sound like; an aggressive sound while still retaining the warmth that the JB leaves out.

They sounded pretty decent coil split. Not nearly as biting as your normal single coil, but a very pleasing and usable tone.

Us yanks can get em for $50 from musiciansfriend.com; not a bad deal. If I used my bridge pickup with any regularity, I might consider throwing an SWC in there (although I think the SWV might be more appropriate).
Quote by utsapp89
Last edited by FacingUsAll at Oct 17, 2007,
ok, cool. thanks. so basically, depending on model, a little better than duncans?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I know some of the newer BC Richs have the higher gain Rockfields in them; I haven't gotten the opportunity to play them yet.

I'd say Rockfields are a good alternative to SDs. Definitely good deal at that price.

The SWC would definitely be a good suggestion for those looking for hot PAFish tones (you know, those threads where everyone blindly suggests a JB ).

I was just looking up DC resistances, and the JB has a DC resistance of 16.4k (!) to the SWC's 9.15k. Definitely a good suggestion for classic rock.
Quote by utsapp89
Have you ever tried the Fat ass pickups? I'm not sure if they're good for what i'd be playing..
Do you know if they would be gainy enough for some metal but still be able to handle classic rock and other stuff? I could change them if need be, but still..
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
I think either the Turbo or the Fat Ass would be able to do both, with each being better at classic rock and metal, respectively.

See if you can find a BC Rich that has them in it, I haven't really put either of them through their paces yet.
Quote by utsapp89
Alright, thanks a lot for your help

Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
Quote by utsapp89
Think the valor custom could handle hard rock? Like Alter Bridge and such?
Page 1 of 2