Hello,

I am still a beginner, only been playing for about 10 months. I bought my guitar in an Ibanez pack. It came with this amp:

Small little thing ain't it? I am wondering if it is time for a new amp. This one is alright, but features is limited. When is it a right time to upgrade?

Also, is there anything I should worry about if I am buying something a Pawn Shop? I Saw this Line 6 (spider, i think, not sure which one) for a good price. 10 months is still fairly early, what are you UGer's opinion?

Maybe I should wait a bit, I am sorry, I know very little about amps and what makes a good one for not.
10 months one guitar and one amp?

definatley get osme new stuff
new amp is a must
mabey a new guitar while your at it
i reccomend against the line 6 though because the practice is a digital, so you should get a tube amp

and just tbe shure to test it if its froma pawn shop
Quote by metul kult
You know when Attack Attack is ripping off your music, you're onto something

twitter: @victorstaygold
Quote by envoykrawkwar7
10 months one guitar and one amp?

definatley get osme new stuff
new amp is a must
mabey a new guitar while your at it
i reccomend against the line 6 though because the practice is a digital, so you should get a tube amp

and just tbe shure to test it if its froma pawn shop

What is the difference between digital and tube?

I would get a new guitar, but I want to deserve new equipment. I want to get better before I get a new one.
Quote by 1llusionz
What is the difference between digital and tube?

I would get a new guitar, but I want to deserve new equipment. I want to get better before I get a new one.

difference is sound and time it takes to turn on
it also gives you different effects and control over your tone

if youve been playing 10 months you deserve the new guitar
get one with/without a whammy bar depending on what you have
try it out, use sifferent options
i mean i got my second after only 4 months total playing time
my second amp after about 2 1/2 [im at about 6-7 now]
Quote by metul kult
You know when Attack Attack is ripping off your music, you're onto something

twitter: @victorstaygold
When you are playing and you can here that the tone isn't right, or something is missing, its time to consider an upgrade.

Your upgrade doesn't have to be a jump to the most top of the line gear.

Look at VOX and the Roland Micro Cube. The micro cube has a good amount of features and is a good price. The VOX is just really good with some features also.

Those are non Valve amps, great choices still.

For Valve amps, non expensive ones, you should really ask in the Gear and Accessories forum.

P.S.
I'm a believer in amp upgrades before guitar upgrades.
epic7734
Amp before guitar, always
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Yeah, me too. You can have a kick ass guitar, but without a decent amp, you won't get the full potential of it.

Now that I think about it, this really should be in the Gear and Accessories forum. >.<
Maybe a mod will move it. . . *shrugs*

How long, typically, do valve amps need to heat up before using?

Wow, Micro Cube is a good price and have good reviews here on UG. hmm. I'll consider it.

AD15VT looks good too.

I don't think I want one with a valve sounds complicated, as of now.
Not all tube amps are expensive, there are plenty of good ones that cost the same as one of the bigger Spiders. And they usually only need to be warmed up for about a minute. Also the only real maintenance you have to do on them is change the tubes (way easy) every two years at the most. An extremely small price to pay for great tone.

Anyway I'm gonna report this so it gets moved to GG&A, you'll get way better answers there.
Quote by which ones pink
Not all tube amps are expensive, there are plenty of good ones that cost the same as one of the bigger Spiders. And they usually only need to be warmed up for about a minute. Also the only real maintenance you have to do on them is change the tubes (way easy) every two years at the most. An extremely small price to pay for great tone.

Anyway I'm gonna report this so it gets moved to GG&A, you'll get way better answers there.

Thanks!

BTW

Bleach rules!
Last edited by 1llusionz at Oct 17, 2007,
Quote by jetfuel495
tube amps are expensive man.

spiders are cheap. like me.

I bought a 40W all-tube 2x10" combo amp from a Pawn Shop today (Traynor YCV40T) for $400.

Tube amps aren't expensive if you know where to look and what to look for.
-"Sunny Jane" '04 MIM Sunburst Fender Tele. DD HB102(n)
-"Sapphire" Indie Tribal Extreme
-"Joy" Vintage 1100N Acoustic
-"Booty" Black Squier Jazz Bass
Traynor YCS50 1x12 (V30 Speaker)
Mark Bass Little Mk II
1x15 bass cab
Buy an Epiphone Valve Junior combo. For $150, you'll be getting a hell of a deal and good, useable tube tone that you won't grow out of anytime soon (or ever).

Just do a search for it on the forums, and then go try one out in the store.
Fender Standard Stratocaster
BC Rich Mockingbird Supreme (USA Custom Shop)
BC Rich NJ Neck-Thru Series Mockingbird
Epiphone Elite Les Paul Standard

Laney TT50-112
Peavey Classic 30
Epiphone Valve Junior
Roland Microcube
Ok, if I go into a pawn shop how do I know which amps are tubes or not? Or do I just ask the owners? Just wondering.

Hey FourSticks17, I see you have both the Epiphone Valve Junior and Microcube. Which one do you like better and prefer? Also, what each some of the pros and cons of each amp.

I think I will look around and try out some amps then make my decision. I can sit here and look at amp and read reviews and compare. But I need to hear it so I can know for sure. Is this a good idea?
Tube amps are the way to go. Don't get me wrong, some SS amps are good, but they just can't beat tube IMO. (well, relatively anyway). It all depends on the style of music that you play as to what amp you'd be best suited with. What bands do you play, what tone, what genre?
to be honest, get a Peavey Valve King 112, it sounds pretty good with passive pickups but with actives, you can get some awsome distortion

check this video out, everytime I played the Peavey 112 in the store it sounded like that with the active pickup guitars, you dont need a pedal to get the sound either.
you find the right settings eventually

the vid is the 212, but the 112 can sound like it

check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aTO0Z-B274

only $430 US
Quote by 1llusionz
Ok, if I go into a pawn shop how do I know which amps are tubes or not? Or do I just ask the owners? Just wondering.

turn the amp around, look inside and if you see one or more glass bulbs hanging down, it's a tube! What I did when I bought mine was looked at all the tube amps they had in my price range, went home, looked at reviews, got feedback from forums, looked for sound clips (youtube, soundclick, company websites or forums) and came up with a decision. Make sure they let you try the amp there and give you a return policy (7 days at least).

It's a bit more work, but worth the savings. If I had bought my amp new I would've had to dish out $300 more, not including taxes and S&H.
-"Sunny Jane" '04 MIM Sunburst Fender Tele. DD HB102(n)
-"Sapphire" Indie Tribal Extreme
-"Joy" Vintage 1100N Acoustic
-"Booty" Black Squier Jazz Bass
Traynor YCS50 1x12 (V30 Speaker)
Mark Bass Little Mk II
1x15 bass cab
Quote by envoykrawkwar7
difference is sound and time it takes to turn on
it also gives you different effects and control over your tone

if youve been playing 10 months you deserve the new guitar
get one with/without a whammy bar depending on what you have
try it out, use sifferent options
i mean i got my second after only 4 months total playing time
my second amp after about 2 1/2 [im at about 6-7 now]

Why do you need new equipment as soon as you start playing? I got a 3/4 scale electric as my first guitar, but obviously, since it wasn't proper size, I got a Squier after about 3 months, I still use the amp I got with my 3/4 scale after 2 1/2 years. It took me 1 1/2 years to get a proper acoustic (rather than classical) and 2 years to get a new electric and I'm happy enough with just that. When you're new to guitar, you should be learning to play before you learn to get perfectly-polished tones.
I'll have to agree with jaffawoman. It's ok if your ear has grown sophisticated enough that you are not satisfied with the sound of the amp and want an upgrade, but chances are (unless you are Mozart) you havent progressed that much yet. Don't get distracted from learning. You named a Spider as a choice which tells me I am correct about the stage of your playing. Don't go buy another solid state practice amp when you already have one, its a waste of money. When you upgrade make it count, preferably a tube combo. Good luck and hope you are the next EVH.
Quote by uldhppi
I'll have to agree with jaffawoman. It's ok if your ear has grown sophisticated enough that you are not satisfied with the sound of the amp and want an upgrade, but chances are (unless you are Mozart) you havent progressed that much yet. Don't get distracted from learning. You named a Spider as a choice which tells me I am correct about the stage of your playing. Don't go buy another solid state practice amp when you already have one, its a waste of money. When you upgrade make it count, preferably a tube combo. Good luck and hope you are the next EVH.

yeah it's easy to get distracted, when focusing on one song in dissapointment of not getting the sound you need, but I can say this, if you properly have everything set, you can get a pretty decent sound out of Crap literally,

but after you learn guitar techniques such as sweep etc, you can say It's time for a Tube amp, now you dont need the most expensive 6505 or Krank, all you need is a Peavey Valve King 112, and guitar with EMG pickups and your set to go, least for small gigs and home use , hear if you replace the speaker its even better, but yeah, thats my 2 cents

bet I could make your amp do metal lol eventually with some playing around, it takes a while to figure it out, some amps are different than others and pretty tricky, but pedals help a little bit, but you want to use more amp than pedal, but yeah

good luck
Quote by bartdevil_metal
Tube amps are the way to go. Don't get me wrong, some SS amps are good, but they just can't beat tube IMO. (well, relatively anyway). It all depends on the style of music that you play as to what amp you'd be best suited with. What bands do you play, what tone, what genre?

I like to play metal (NWBHM, thrash, death, you get the picture. Also notice the gain settings on the picture. lol), some punk. I want to learn other styles aswell, like blues and stuff from some alternative bands. An acoustic effect would be nice too.

That's why I named the thread "Time 4 a new amp?" Notice the question mark. 10 months isn't a long time, not even a full year yet. I was just wondering. That is why I said i want to feel like a 'deserve new equipment' and not just buy a bunch of crap that I am not ready for.
^Very sensible. Your ears will tell you when its time to upgrade. Enjoy yourself.
Hey i own the roland microcube, its actually my first and only amp... The positive is that there's lots of effects and can be battery operated. But the negatives are there isnt that much tweaking you can do such as trebled mids etc... Which kinda sux... thats why Im also thinking of buying a new amp simply because as good as it has been to me, i want to start jamming with my friends and its not loud enough... So it depends on where, how and what you are playing. For me, i kinda need something more now that i have become a better player and listener so yeh...Maybe you should go to the roland website they have sample clips etc im sure youl find them useful
1illusions, please be sure to read the pm i sent you with information on this topic.
Quote by burrit0
Say your friend was high and doesn't know what he's talking about.