Well, this is a philosophical essay I wrote on morality and justice through history, includes Hammurabi, Caius Julius Caesar, Thomas Hobbes, Jean Jacques Rousseau, and John Rawls. You need to have some version of Word 2003 or anything more modern to be able to read this, but I doubt that'll be a problem...

Enjoy and please feel free to tell me that it's crap. It's my first out of a potential three more drafts, so I'm still really flexible on suggestions. Thanks.
Attachments:
ramzi_EE.zip
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Quote by Firenze
Well, this is a philosophical essay I wrote on morality and justice through history, includes Hammurabi, Caius Julius Caesar, Thomas Hobbes, Jean Jacques Rousseau, and John Rawls. You need to have some version of Word 2003 or anything more modern to be able to read this, but I doubt that'll be a problem...

Enjoy and please feel free to tell me that it's crap. It's my first out of a potential three more drafts, so I'm still really flexible on suggestions. Thanks.

I don't like how you state that Governments are put in place to control people. I think I get where you're coming from so maybe "restrain" would be a softer and more appropriate word?

You also typed "the" instead of "that" in line 12 on page 11, and you did the same thing on line 16, page 11. Sorry if it's intentional.

Also, unless I'm reading it wrong, Rawls does not disagree with Rousseau on the fact that law needs to be established independently of man and his sub-conscious. Rousseau claimed that God had established laws and that men would have therefore received knowledge of right and wrong from God. Of course, they are still in disagreement as to where we derive morality from. Rousseau believing it to be objectively inspired by a supreme and perfect judge, and Rawls believing it to be subjectively taught and assimilated from man to man.

Overall I think it's a really good paper. Nice work. I'd like to read some or all of those book one day.

*adds a little more to the reading list*
Quote by denizenz
I don't like how you state that Governments are put in place to control people. I think I get where you're coming from so maybe "restrain" would be a softer and more appropriate word?

You also typed "the" instead of "that" in line 12 on page 11, and you did the same thing on line 16, page 11. Sorry if it's intentional.

Also, unless I'm reading it wrong, Rawls does not disagree with Rousseau on the fact that law needs to be established independently of man and his sub-conscious. Rousseau claimed that God had established laws and that men would have therefore received knowledge of right and wrong from God. Of course, they are still in disagreement as to where we derive morality from. Rousseau believing it to be objectively inspired by a supreme and perfect judge, and Rawls believing it to be subjectively taught and assimilated from man to man.

Overall I think it's a really good paper. Nice work. I'd like to read some or all of those book one day.

*adds a little more to the reading list*

Hmm, now that you mention it, I should have used a word, I think even softer than restrain. Monitor, maybe? Or guide?

Thanks a lot, I'll fix those up, I don't think it was intentional.

I believe you're correct on this point as well, and I'll fix that up when I begin correcting my draft tomorrow. I just put 2 and 2 together, but I think I came up wrong when I read some of the text. It took me quite a while to wrap my head around some of these concepts, and I'm not surprised I got some of them confused. Thanks a lot, I think I get what you mean.

I really appreciate the advice, man. I'll put up my final draft after everything and let you know how it turned out.
Catch me,
heal me,
I choose to live
Quote by Firenze
Hmm, now that you mention it, I should have used a word, I think even softer than restrain. Monitor, maybe? Or guide?

Thanks a lot, I'll fix those up, I don't think it was intentional.

I believe you're correct on this point as well, and I'll fix that up when I begin correcting my draft tomorrow. I just put 2 and 2 together, but I think I came up wrong when I read some of the text. It took me quite a while to wrap my head around some of these concepts, and I'm not surprised I got some of them confused. Thanks a lot, I think I get what you mean.

I really appreciate the advice, man. I'll put up my final draft after everything and let you know how it turned out.

I know what you mean about confusing different concepts. I get lost in the arguments in the religion thread let alone while trying to read through philosophical literations of genius.
Wow, that's new, someone posting an essay instead of asking for help with it for school.

Hi, I needs help wiv my essey on [insert stupid school assignment]. I tried goolge.com, but it doesn't work, it says "Page not found" or somethin. Can u guys help me??111

Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by denizenz

I know what you mean about confusing different concepts. I get lost in the arguments in the religion thread let alone while trying to read through philosophical literations of genius.

Haha, to be honest, I was surprised I got through the Leviathan. My Philosophy teacher put it nicely when he said, "people think that just because something is written in 'modern' English they shouldn't need to translate it. Well, have you ever tried to read the Social Contract in French? It might as well be the same thing." I find it very truthful.

Quote by Mad Marius
Wow, that's new, someone posting an essay instead of asking for help with it for school.

yes sir, that's me! Always one with the essays

...I have fun writing them
Catch me,
heal me,
I choose to live