I'm looking into buying one, and I'd like to know which could give me a better sound. My current rig is a Rhoads with Duncan Designed's and a 120-watt solid Crate that I got on closeout thats actually pretty good. Whichever can give me a good crunchy sound for rhythm playing would be preferred. Thanks.
Probably the Metal Muff for rythm...

That's unless you're looking after that new sound that metalcore/hardcore bands have now.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Quote by evening_crow
Probably the Metal Muff for rythm...

That's unless you're looking after that new sound that metalcore/hardcore bands have now.

Nah.

How would the Muff sound for, say, Cowboys from Hell?
if you want a metal muff im selling one for 70 shipped in the gear classified section
I used to have the MT-2. In my opinion, it sounded absolutely horrible, very thin, too trebely (the kind of treble that hurts your ears), and it was pretty hard to modify. I traded it in for a Metal Muff. I was only able to get $20 back for my MT-2, though, and had to pay an extra $80 for the Metal Muff. Yep, that's how badly I couldn't stand the MT-2. The Metal Muff sounds A LOT better.
1950s Reissue Fender Stratocaster
Epiphone Gold Top Les Paul
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Ibanez TS-9
Boss BF-3
Boss DD-6
Wylde Signature Cry Baby
DigiTech Whammy 4
listen to RoboRobot, he speaks the truth. The boss sounds thin and just nasty (think of a beehive in a tin can) but the metal muff sounds actually good fo a distortion pedal. I own one and even though I never use it anymore (got a new amp) it still sound real good for the price.
Emo is to music as etch-a-sketch is to art.

Quote by TMVolta19
Music can't really be judged, since it's all on the same level. Unless it's screamo. then it sucks.
the metal muff is the far better pedal. Just listen to it. Even look at the prices, keeping in mind you can get a metal zone sound out (eg crap) out of the muff if you really want to.
I actually just sold my Boss MT-2 today and bought my Metal Muff today.

I've heard good things about the Muff and EHX make great pedals.

The MT-2 is very weak sounding and very thin. It's hard to get it to cut through the mix without it screaming badly and it isn't very versatile.

However, Boss Pedals are made alot better than any other, Just because of the footswitch. Where EHX pedals are DPDT footswitches which can break if you stomp to hard, Boss pedals use something different, not sure of the name. What im trying to say is that the BOSS pedal is probably more reliable...

but sound wise, i am sure the Metal Muff is alot better.
Flap it and enjoy yourself...

Xbox Live GT = The Donkey Fly
'...and those who fought on that day of honor, the day of victory shall be forever remembered as Lime Green' - Oct 31st 08
Ive Heard the Mt-2 is very thin sounding and tinny, just like most boss distortion pedals(but some mods can improve boss pedals like keely mod) But the metal muff is a much better pedal over all, it also has more control over your tone.
Quote by Commodity
Nah.

How would the Muff sound for, say, Cowboys from Hell?

turn the distortion down alot then

I'd say the Metal Muff is the better choice, but that greatly depends on the settings and the amp, it takes you super long to even get a decent sound with the MT-2, as the settings on the amp and pedal have to be dead on perfect I'm talking hairs or it sounds lame and junky, but if all you have is the MT-2 you can get alright sounds to learn with, but I'd suggest get the EHX Metal Muff, it is better and easier to use, and cheaper
metal muff eats MT-2's for breakfast. and the thing is built like a tank. you will NEVER break that switch. i hear MT-2s make great toilet paper though.
SG
Thunderverb 50
Foot Computers
Beer and snacks
Scenery
Quote by Y0UNGBL00D
metal muff eats MT-2's for breakfast. and the thing is built like a tank. you will NEVER break that switch. i hear MT-2s make great toilet paper though.

true, but your amp matter more than the pedal , the metal muff is good, but its better to have the amp do most of the work, but the metal muff is good when set low and the amp is set high, makes a low cost tube amp insanely good when set right, takes a while to find it, circuitry can be ackwayd at times so it needs to be cleaned with electronic cleaner at times good buy, I'd suggest getting it over the MT-2
its also good for distortion blues
metal muff no doubt
squire strat
MG 15
Spider 30

i am useless + i phail
so its like metal muff =10 MT-2 = 0
SG
Thunderverb 50
Foot Computers
Beer and snacks
Scenery
Edit: To Donkey_Fly...i must have been on this page a while and not realized.

^ I think boss use TPDT switches but I'm not sure at all.
Quote by guitarcrazy1991
Edit: To Donkey_Fly...i must have been on this page a while and not realized.

^ I think boss use TPDT switches but I'm not sure at all.

the difference in switches, ie DPDT or TPDT would make no difference to the durability, boss probably just uses better quality switches
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
metal muff
"There's Jimmy Page, the greatest thief of American black music who ever walked the earth."
-Homer Simpson
uses for the MT-2:
doorstop, paper weight, pedalboard decoration.
uses for the MM:
tone, guitar
Sigs are too hard to think up
every single person is going to say, metal muff > MT-2
dude the metal muff makes babies ok its an amazing pedal
Quote by Commodity
I'm looking into buying one, and I'd like to know which could give me a better sound. My current rig is a Rhoads with Duncan Designed's and a 120-watt solid Crate that I got on closeout thats actually pretty good. Whichever can give me a good crunchy sound for rhythm playing would be preferred. Thanks.

The boss MT-2 sounds like poo
Quote by convictionless
every single person is going to say, metal muff > MT-2
dude the metal muff makes babies ok its an amazing pedal

Why are you getting an uber metal then?
It's fact: UG loves the Metal Muff. Get the version with the footswitchable top boost.

I don't think durability is an issue with the Metal Muff.

The nice thing about the addittional top boost function is that you can have you big thick juicy tone, then kick on the top boost for a rather searing lead bit. A top boost, is, in my opinion, the best way to make a tone stand out for a solo.
yeah, the top boost really cuts through the mix in a live situation.

as far as the switches are concerned, it's not a matter of the actual switch, it's a matter oh how you hit it. Metal muff has your standard DPDT, "clciky" footswitch, the kind used on practically any pedal ever. the kind that has stood the test of time. boss just uses the pad kind and it spreads the pressure out evenly, without a click, for a smooth action switchover. neither is more durable than the other IMO, and i do applaud boss for trying to advance the way we stomp on pedals. but either way, the housing on the metal muff is die cast and will survive nuclear war, and i dont think you have to worry about the switch. plus the control knobs on the metal muff are about 8 times as durable as the ones on boss pedals.
SG
Thunderverb 50
Foot Computers
Beer and snacks
Scenery
so where does the muff excel the most, at taking a milder gain channel over the edge into metal, using mostly it's own sound on a clean channel, or mainly as a solo boost? Can you use it like a "dirty" clean boost, like to tighten up a lead channel that already has a lot of gain?

I don't think I've ever heard clips of the metal muff actually. Anyone have some, and can you share how it was used?
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
my only experience is taking a completely clean channel to uber-gain territory. doesn't clean up very much to overdrive tones. like dist on 0 is where most Od pedals leave off. i hear it emphasizes an already-diven tube tone though. i imagine you'd have to back teh gain down a bit in that situation. or maybe not. i hear it's very smooth in that regard though, but brutal at the same time
SG
Thunderverb 50
Foot Computers
Beer and snacks
Scenery
nice, thanks man.
I found a couple cool vids of guys on youtube using it, sounded impressive. One guy on a peavey ultra, and another guy using a classic 30. Both were using it on the clean channel.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
i will let everyone know what it sounds like on a valve junior whenever the head gets here (they shipped teh cab seperately, and it got here first > ) on clean and OD settings. i think it'll be a good little testing ground for it.
SG
Thunderverb 50
Foot Computers
Beer and snacks
Scenery