I was wondering what the major differences between these amps are. I'm looking to get one of these combo amps in the future and I'd like to know what amp is better for what style of playing and key tonal differences that I should know.

So far I know the XXX is the platform the Joe Satriani used for his sig. and it's at the store I go to so it's the #1 option atm.
Quote by Jearl

...dont play Fender just because its Fender.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Squier Bullet (heavily modified)
Mesa Roadster Head & 2x12 cab
I have the 5150 combo and I love it. The only thing i wish it ha was a dedicated clean channel. Im not sure about the XXX, but the 5150 has a rythym channel and a lead, so the rythym's gain has to be turned down, and thus the volume up, to go from overdriven rythym to clean, which sorta sucks
Quote by bass-man9712
after i clicked all i could think was "please don't be goatse, please dont be goatse"

PSN: Effigyoferebus (feel free to add it)
The XXX is bright, and has less gain than the 5150. It's good for shred, and if you want to hear it in action, it's what Kris Dahl (of Shred Masterclass fame) uses.

The 5150 is opposite, it's voiced very dark, and has huge amounts of br00tal gain.
the XXX is brighter and has a little more compression and less gain, the 5150 is dark and really high gain, it can also nail EVH tones well (it was his signature amp)

also the XXX has better cleans.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by which ones pink
The XXX is bright, and has less gain than the 5150. It's good for shred, and if you want to hear it in action, it's what Kris Dahl (of Shred Masterclass fame) uses.

The 5150 is opposite, it's voiced very dark, and has huge amounts of br00tal gain.

Bang on.
I didn't know that Kris Dahl uses a XXX though
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Ahh crap you mean to tell me now I have to find a 5150? I'm not a fan of bright sounds and I need moar gain. I'll try it anyway to make sure it's the right one.
Quote by Jearl

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
go to that store with one of your guitars, plug in and test it out. that's really the only way you're gonna know if you like it or not. i'm not a big fan of the xxx, but it's not a bad amp, and judging it before you try it when it's readily available is something you shouldn't do.
^ I was thinking of doing that, taking my guitar and trying it. The only thing is that the XXX is there for sure and the 5150 is not, to order it in they will need 3 days and if I don't buy it they will get all pissy about having to order in an amp for nothing. I hear them getting mad over other people doing that once in awhile. I just figured I'd ask since I hear about those 2 amps on a regular basis, usually in the same thread.
Quote by Jearl

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
I think the 5150 sounds a bit different than the XXX. Its darker voiced, and I think it has a tighter low end, but I played a 212 5150, and I only have a 112 XXX so that may have been why. I think the 5150 is better for heavier metal like death and black metal while I can get a really nice Metallica/Megadeth/Pantera like tone out of my XXX. The clips in my profile all come from the XXX, but the quality isnt the best.