I thinking of getting a Mac-based laptop to use Pro Tools LE 7 and was wondering if anybody know what's the best computer out there for compatibility?
Macbook Pro.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Don't get a macbook for protools.

You'll only be able to use very few inputs and plugins.

It's very frustrating.

That's my two cents, but I urge you to take them to heart.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Don't get a macbook for protools.

You'll only be able to use very few inputs and plugins.

It's very frustrating.

That's my two cents, but I urge you to take them to heart.

I already have Pro Tools and have used it on a PC, but I was going to buy a Mac computer anyway, just wanted to know if there was anything compatible to Pro Tools. So do you have any suggestions?
All recent mid-high end computers are compatible with Protools. Mac or Pc - both work.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

Pro Tools works well on a mac, I just wouldn't recommend a laptop. It's excruciatingly annoying, because you'll only be able to run 10 real time plugins max.

My computer is just over a year old, but it only just works with PT because it has a now discontinued Pentium D processor. Anything with a Core 2 Duo is cool now, it was a bit of a shady year, was 2006. All these short lived dual core processors...

Do they have pro tools for vista yet?
A computer being a "laptop" is not a limiting factor on how many real time plug ins you can run.
Get an external hard drive and save everything on that.

Also get as much RAM as you can afford.
Thanks everyone for your advice, I'll consider it when purchasing the computer.
One of my friends has a mac laptop, and he has to take everything off of his computer just to do any work.

On top of that, he can handle 10 tracks and 10 real time plugins before playback becomes impossible.

It's just not worth it.

A computer being a "laptop" is not a limiting factor on how many real time plug ins you can run.

Not directly, but in terms of recording, laptops simply don't have the hard drive space or processor speed to cope.

Get an external hard drive and save everything on that.

Also get as much RAM as you can afford.

You'll need one to back up your data, but you do not want to be having to use it to clear your computer EVERY time you record.