Page 1 of 5
I know this has been done before, but I thought it would be a fun thing to bring it back. Just say a guitarists that you either think is highly overrated (preferably by other guitarists, no Shred Durst, he doesn't count) or you just don't like.

Please no flaming, and let her rip!

I'll start

Mine is Kerry King at the moment. He always gets all the attention in Slayer, and i've always beleived Hanneman to be better than him. King's solo's are ofte times simply not pleasing to listen to, he just tries to cram too many noes in there, and he needs to have his whammy bar priveleges revoked.

Hate on!
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Kerry is a good guitarist, it's just he's too influenced by speed. Hanneman can actually slow down with his playing and make it really heavy, but without those fast crunching riffs, it wouldn't be Slayer would it?

I hate the guitarists from My Chemical Romance, Fall Out Boy, Panic at the Disco, and pretty much every emo band. ...And the guy from Killswitch Engage kind of weirds me out.

But other than that, it's just a matter of taste, and the only genre I really have a problem with is emo.
Gear:
Ibanez RG7321 Seven String
Epiphone Iommi Signature SG
Digitech Scott Ian Black 13
VOX Valvetronix AD100VTH
Laney 4x12 w/Celestion 50s
Myself
Hate Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now!
You get nothing! You lose! Good day sir!
metalheads: hate me away.

zakk wylde.

i hate his style. his tone. his sense of... uh... "melody"... if you want to call it that.

this should probably be in the pit though.
gear?
coming soon... parker fly mojo flame
ibanezes: rg350dx frankenstein * rg7620 7-string
fenders: telecaster plus * stratocaster plus

line 6: pod xt live * ax2 212
other: laney vh100r * mesa dual rectifier * monster cables
Any guitarist that relies on power chords more than 50% of the time. It just gets so nauseatingly redundant.
I'm not a Slash fan. His arm seems to be a glorified fan with a pick. Speed seems to be what he cares about. He has some guitar talent, thats why he's where he's at... but he is VERY overrated. Same with Kerry King like mentioned above. Jimi Hendrix was fast, but he showed that it wasn't all he could do. He just showed all his talent, and I have yet to see that passion from Slash & King.
Add me or I will eat your kitty!

^Click the heart baby, you know you wanna.^

Quote by Sammythedruggie

touche sir.
Quote by DougC84
metalheads: hate me away.

zakk wylde.

i hate his style. his tone. his sense of... uh... "melody"... if you want to call it that.

this should probably be in the pit though.

Wylde must only be able to count to five, cause the only scale he uses has five notes in it. His tone is okay, but his songwriting and improv skills are terrible, and as far as his style goes, he needs to realize he is from New Jersey, not Texas, and stop trying to act like a redneck. He only does it to pretend like he's Dimbag I think. Dime was way cooler than Wylde, and a better musician in my opinion.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
^I couldn't agree more. I certainly think Dimebag was talented. With a name like that, how can he not be?

Quote by Sammythedruggie

touche sir.
Quote by elekguit
^I couldn't agree more. I certainly think Dimebag was talented. With a name like that, how can he not be?

^sarcasm? I can't tell. Oh well, it's cool either way, you don't have to like Dime if you don't.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
No, I really like him. Not a huge metalhead, but you must realize talent when you see it. Although my point still stands that with a name like Dimebag, how can he not be great?

Quote by Sammythedruggie

touche sir.
I really don't like Steve Vai I know he is like a god but like to me he has no soul when he plays because he is too good. His soul is not needed because i mean the guy can poop on a guitar and his turds sound great. And the effects he use on his songs just sound weird to me a lot of the time. Not my cup-o-tea
Gear
Fender Stratocaster MIM
Jackson DX10
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (neck: Seymour Duncan Jazz, Bridge: Seymour Duncan Distortion)
Marshall Mg50dfx
Digitech Metal Master
Crybaby 535Q
Quote by elekguit
I'm not a Slash fan. His arm seems to be a glorified fan with a pick. Speed seems to be what he cares about. He has some guitar talent, thats why he's where he's at... but he is VERY overrated. Same with Kerry King like mentioned above. Jimi Hendrix was fast, but he showed that it wasn't all he could do. He just showed all his talent, and I have yet to see that passion from Slash & King.

Slash is not all about speed... November Rain, Knockin on Heavens Door, and Don't Cry are all slower songs. Anyway, for me it would probably be Herman Li or Samtotman. Both are good players, but extremely boring to listen to and everything sounds THE SAME, and they can't play live at all.
Quote by CJRocker
Slash is not all about speed... November Rain, Knockin on Heavens Door, and Don't Cry are all slower songs. Anyway, for me it would probably be Herman Li or Samtotman. Both are good players, but extremely boring to listen to and everything sounds THE SAME, and they can't play live at all.

Rusty Cooley for a similar reason. While he actually can play his stuff live, it's just way too much shredding and nothing else. His outworld stuff is better though.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
Another one for me is Michael Angelo Baito. I just got into an argument on youtube about this, but I just think that MAB is all about showing off, none of his music is very interesting to listen to, it's just all played at the speed of light, which can get old very quickly.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
+1....
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EX1 (moDE)

Ibanez Electro-Acustic

Zoom G2.1u

Roland Cube 60
Vox AD50VT 2x12

And A Great Passion!

Best Spanish Rock Band IS and WILL always be "Heroes Del Silencio"!!!!!
and as far as his style goes, he needs to realize he is from New Jersey, not Texas, and stop trying to act like a redneck

hmm some parts of NJ are insanely redneck,i dunno what part he's from but we got some hardcore rednecks in the Garden State...

I myself can't stand Mick Mars
www.gameandsave.com

Good Deals:

-UG-Sumphead,Miggy01,Bostonrocks

-HC-sdresdre,XMahkaihX,Juan_M,mmcquain,teletaylor,frankiej
I can't decide on just one. I hate them all equally for different reasons.

First up, Stevie Ray Vaughn. Mostly because of his absolute murdering of Little Wing, one of my favourite songs - he took it and raped it every which-way he could with his guitar wankery, and that pisses me off mightily. That aside, he generally comes across as a smug, pretentious tosspot.

Second, Dimebag Darrell. I never found his playing to be worth bothering with; in fact I found it downright crap. It doesn't help that the second he died, suddenly half the world started claiming they were his biggest fan ever (despite the fact half of these people had never even heard of him until he died). Crap guitarist + ignorant fanboy following = very high levels of annoyance. I know I'm going to get a lot of **** for listing him, but I frankly couldn't care less; the dude sucked and only a third of his current fanbase actually ever gave a crap about him while he was alive (which is more just really depressing than anything else).

Third, Brian May. I've lost count of how many times I've heard "listen to this solo in this Queen song, it'll blow you away!" only to then spend the next minute being bored rigid. I just can't find a single thing to like about his playing; it's dull, repetitive, uninspired tripe. It wouldn't be so bad if he changed it up occasionally but he doesn't; he's got his one craptastic formula and he sticks with it through every song. It's almost as if he wants me to hate him.

Fourth up, Yngwie Malmsteen. Someone needs to tell this guy that no matter how fast you rip your fretboard up, if you're playing with no heart and with no sense of melody, you're going to sound **** every time. His playing is the most painfully mechanical crap I've ever heard. Yngwie just has absolutely no idea of how to play a good tune; he's built a career out of playing sheer crap at super-speed, rather than the vastly superior technique of just playing a damn good tune.

Fifth, Eddie Van Halen. Aside from him ruining some perfectly good guitars with his god-awful random line/stripe finish which sadly everyone else now seems hell-bent on copying for some godforsaken reason I really don't understand, his playing is almost as mechanical as Yngwie's, everything he's done smacks of at least four other songs that came before it, and also he's just a goon, plain and simple.

Sixth and finally, Zakk Wylde. He's pretty much like a Greatest Hits of all the above five in one; repetitive, uninspired, poor tone, poor phrasing, no heart. I don't give a damn how fast he can wank that minor pentatonic; **** scale wankery is **** no matter how fast it is or how much distortion you put on.

Yeah I'm going to get a lot of **** for this, but like I said before, I really couldn't care any less; there's absolutely nothing anyone could say that would make me change my opinions on any of these six guitarists anyway.
Quote by Dog454
Kerry is a good guitarist, it's just he's too influenced by speed. Hanneman can actually slow down with his playing and make it really heavy, but without those fast crunching riffs, it wouldn't be Slayer would it?

I hate the guitarists from My Chemical Romance, Fall Out Boy, Panic at the Disco, and pretty much every emo band. ...And the guy from Killswitch Engage kind of weirds me out.

But other than that, it's just a matter of taste, and the only genre I really have a problem with is emo.

My Chemical Romance's Ray toro can whip up some decent solos so he does not suck
but i really hate BJ of green day........He thinks he can sing and play lead,watch those AOL sessions,he practically stops playing after the intros of most songs, and 90% of his songs are powerchords..........how boring
My Chemical Romance's Ray toro can whip up some decent solos so he does not suck
He never once used the word "suck". He said he disliked them.
404: Sig not found.
Quote by SG Man Forever
Another one for me is Michael Angelo Baito. I just got into an argument on youtube about this, but I just think that MAB is all about showing off, none of his music is very interesting to listen to, it's just all played at the speed of light, which can get old very quickly.

+1
Member of the Jackson RR24 Owners club!

Esp Eclipse II Snow white
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RGA-8
Jackson RR24 Black w/yellow bevels, Limited 1/75
Yamaha FG-400A
I agree with Kerry King, most of the time his solos just sound like random notes and squeals.

Dimebag would never have become a "legend" if he hadn't been shot, and Zakk Wylde seems more and more like some kind of big, hairy marketing machine.

Rusty Cooley, because out of all the shredders I've heard, none play with so little melody and emotion as him. Every clip I've seen with him is just a string of sweeped arpeggios. Sure, it's impressive, but he's forgetting one little thing called melody.

"The Edge" from U2: Hitting one chord and letting the effects do the rest. Yeah yeah, beautiful layered textures, whatever.
Quote by kyrreca

Rusty Cooley, because out of all the shredders I've heard, none play with so little melody and emotion as him. Every clip I've seen with him is just a string of sweeped arpeggios. Sure, it's impressive, but he's forgetting one little thing called melody.

Listen to his Outworld stuff, then try and tell us he has no melody.
His solo stuff has plenty of it too, Under the Influence does...if you ignore that part around half way through where he just wanks

My least favourite?
Too many to mention, but Synyster Gates, Dimebag, *dons flame shield * David Gilmour, Kirk Hammet.
Quote by bokuho
I can't decide on just one. I hate them all equally for different reasons.

First up, Stevie Ray Vaughn. Mostly because of his absolute murdering of Little Wing, one of my favourite songs - he took it and raped it every which-way he could with his guitar wankery, and that pisses me off mightily. That aside, he generally comes across as a smug, pretentious tosspot.

Second, Dimebag Darrell. I never found his playing to be worth bothering with; in fact I found it downright crap. It doesn't help that the second he died, suddenly half the world started claiming they were his biggest fan ever (despite the fact half of these people had never even heard of him until he died). Crap guitarist + ignorant fanboy following = very high levels of annoyance. I know I'm going to get a lot of **** for listing him, but I frankly couldn't care less; the dude sucked and only a third of his current fanbase actually ever gave a crap about him while he was alive (which is more just really depressing than anything else).

Third, Brian May. I've lost count of how many times I've heard "listen to this solo in this Queen song, it'll blow you away!" only to then spend the next minute being bored rigid. I just can't find a single thing to like about his playing; it's dull, repetitive, uninspired tripe. It wouldn't be so bad if he changed it up occasionally but he doesn't; he's got his one craptastic formula and he sticks with it through every song. It's almost as if he wants me to hate him.

Fourth up, Yngwie Malmsteen. Someone needs to tell this guy that no matter how fast you rip your fretboard up, if you're playing with no heart and with no sense of melody, you're going to sound **** every time. His playing is the most painfully mechanical crap I've ever heard. Yngwie just has absolutely no idea of how to play a good tune; he's built a career out of playing sheer crap at super-speed, rather than the vastly superior technique of just playing a damn good tune.

Fifth, Eddie Van Halen. Aside from him ruining some perfectly good guitars with his god-awful random line/stripe finish which sadly everyone else now seems hell-bent on copying for some godforsaken reason I really don't understand, his playing is almost as mechanical as Yngwie's, everything he's done smacks of at least four other songs that came before it, and also he's just a goon, plain and simple.

Sixth and finally, Zakk Wylde. He's pretty much like a Greatest Hits of all the above five in one; repetitive, uninspired, poor tone, poor phrasing, no heart. I don't give a damn how fast he can wank that minor pentatonic; **** scale wankery is **** no matter how fast it is or how much distortion you put on.

Yeah I'm going to get a lot of **** for this, but like I said before, I really couldn't care any less; there's absolutely nothing anyone could say that would make me change my opinions on any of these six guitarists anyway.

Troll ahoy
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat
Washburn HB35
PRS Santana SE
Yamaha Pacifica 112MX
Vox AD30VT
Fender Champion 600
Dunlop wah
Danelectro Cool Cat fuzz
The Trivium dudes annoy me quite a bit. Also the EMO bands, like MCR.
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
I'd say Santana, Dimebag, Wylde, Hammett, and Petrucci! Yea you read it right! John Petrucci!!! He murders his solos with those absolutely pointless and irritating fast alternate-picked licks, and his playing on his solo album is way too mechanical. His tone's okay, his phrasing's pretty nice, he has great control over picking dynamics, but the speed licks kill everything!
Quote by buckethead_jr
I didn't think they had metal in the 1790's

Quote by Guitarislife125
Copper is a metal

Quote by buckethead_jr
Ah, touche.
I will never ever for the very life of me be able to figure out why people say Dimebag was never a legend while he lived... Sure, many die-hard "fans" only started caring after the murder, but as a guitarist, he was extremely revered before that. He had a vast array of "guitarist of the year" and "most valuable player" awards, was featured on loads of magazine covers, wrote columns, etc...

It's fair enough not to like him (though you're fucking crazy if you don't, really.), but to say that nobody gave a **** before he was killed is just way beyond ignorant.
Dimebag was good. I find his playing kindoff boring, and not my cup of tea, but I don't think he's very over rated. He knew his **** so to speak :p. Kirk Hammet must be my least favorite. Not because of him, but because how people treat him as a god, wich he ISN'T!

Zakk Wylde also needs to use more scales than one, and Yngwies songs was good in the first album..but that **** gets repetetive, because the melodies are often the same and the runs are always the same xD.
I still respect these players, and every player. But not many players are "all that".
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
So far as I'm concerned, there's a fair few...
The Edge, as someone already mentioned earlier - I've seen 12 year old kids do just as well whuilst plugging a guitar into a keyboard. Corey and Matt from Trivium piss me off. There's no fire in their play, no spirit - They just seem to me to be the Motley Crue of this whole shred thing - y'know, the pretty ones.
Billie Joe Armstrong, anyone? That guy is more punchable than Either of the Gallaghers with a Hitler tache and a Burberry cap.
(Pretty much anyone who uses a Razorback guitar - It might just be me, but it's a bit **** for a company to be making money out of the death of somebody who swore by your stuff.)
Shred, I just can't get into - music to me's meant to be about passion, which is something I really can't feel out of stuff like Theater, dragonforce, triv etc. Epec. Steve Flocking Vai!
Pretty much every single Indie band out at the moment... It's the same thing, trying to sound reggae and at the same having the 'arrogant basteward' syndrome. Monkeys, killers, Don't even get me started on the Automatic.
Emo... I'm not as against it as I was, I just don't really enjoy it. I like a ballad or a slower song every now & then, but not all the time.
Finally, Nirvana. I rest my case.
At times Metallica piss me off too (3 words: Nothing Else Matters... I'd rather watch paint dry, thanks)
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United
For me would be Malmsteen (I find him boring and repetitive nowadays; his early work was pretty nice, though), Wylde (an example of a good talent that's being wasted; he could do a lot more than he does), Van Halen (I recognize he's done some important things, but never liked his style or music; I actually find Eruption a really bad piece, with all respects), but especially Batio. That man's only a robot. Even my parrot feels more what he sings than MAB when playing. He's something like a "cheap version of Malmsteen" to me
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
Kurt Cobain, because he's simply a god awful guitar player.
Petrucci because when I see DT I make sure to bring a pillow and blanket
Malmsteen was good until he became a one trick pony
Michael Romeo from Symphony X, that band does absolutely nothing for me, nor do his solos

Wylde, Slash, and Dime FTW.
i agree with bokohu apart from on the srv comments, i know what you mean i just think he adapted little wing into his own style i'm not sure about him "raping it" but i can see what you mean. I still think he is one of the greatest guitarists of all time but he does come across as a bit of an obnoxious wanker.

Well here is my list:

Brian May - fail, his tone sucks also.
Slash - A bit like Malmsteen really, thinks his finger speed makes him the best guitarist in the world
Pete Doherty - This guy shouldn't be allowed to even pick up a guitar, he is another obnoxious prick, thinks he's living in the lime light when really everybody knows he is a social reject and a smack head.
Yngwie Malmsteen - ...

And finally and most of all...

NEWTON FAULKNER!!!!!!! - who in the **** was it that said this guy was a guitar "prodigy" i looked into this guy after hearing it and heard nothing but pathetic acoustic wank, i think whoever it was that said this just made the single biggest overstatement in the history of the music industry, so now people with no knowledge in guitaring think he is good when his playing fails.
Zakk Wylde,
Dimebag,
Hendrix,
Kerry King,
Steve Vai,
Satch,
Frank Iero,
P!ATD's guitarist.
Carl Barat.

I really cannot express how much I dislike them all.
I dunno why, It's just some sort of dislike I've always had for them.

EDIT:
I must add Malmsteen as I REALLY can't stand him.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Quote by Kingyem0c0re
Zakk Wylde,
Dimebag,
Hendrix,
Kerry King,
Steve Vai,
Satch,
Frank Iero,
P!ATD's guitarist.
Carl Barat.

I really cannot express how much I dislike them all.
I dunno why, It's just some sort of dislike I've always had for them.

EDIT:
I must add Malmsteen as I REALLY can't stand him.

your opinion is your opinion but i can seriously smell the smoke on this one, i can feel the flames already.
Quote by kyrreca
I agree with Kerry King, most of the time his solos just sound like random notes and squeals.

Dimebag would never have become a "legend" if he hadn't been shot, and Zakk Wylde seems more and more like some kind of big, hairy marketing machine.

"The Edge" from U2: Hitting one chord and letting the effects do the rest. Yeah yeah, beautiful layered textures, whatever.

+1 to all of that. Zakk Wylde is an endorsements poodle (replace with sex-for-money word here), but that's not the only reason he irritates me. All this shred god business...I mean..Woo..Wow..You can play fast, so, what? Does that mean you're better in bed or something? 'Cause last time I checked, being able to play fast is about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

And the edge is just a scam, and a waste of time.

(In an Irish accent)
"Look, look, Bono! I managed to play an A chord, Bono, an A chord! Can ya believe it!?"
"Good gracious. You know what A stands for, Edge?"
"No, Bono, do go on.."
"It stands for atrocity. Let's write a song about atrocity. You know what? Let's make it even more exciting! Let's write about Zimbabwe, I'm sure we haven't done that before."

*High fives all around*

...And the nightmare ends.
Quote by 3nemy
your opinion is your opinion but i can seriously smell the smoke on this one, i can feel the flames already.

I'm sorry, but this really is how I feel, I really cannot stand Hendrix.
People say he did wonders for the music world, if he did, I'm sure we've surpassed his era.
Like you said, I'm entitled to my own opinion.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Quote by kyrreca

I feel weird about The Edge, his sounds on the album are good, but it's all the echo pedals he uses, all you've got to do is turn on three echos, play two notes, and you sound just like him, it just kind of kills it for me.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Page 1 of 5