Ive been playing bass for a long time but i play strictly fingerstyle. I've come across several songs that almost require a pick to sound good. So I'm required to learn pickstyle.

This thread is intented for knowledge of the picking style. Any helpful hints you may have. Ive found it easy to use only downstrokes, but I need to learn how to alternate to play the songs because they are high tempo. Any good excersizes?

Also, Im wondering if the muting is done with the right(picking) or left(fretting) hand. With fingerstyle I mainly use my right hand, but it seems hard with the pick.
Quote by Zero-Hartman

If I can't masturbate to childrens cartoons then this country isn't great.
look up economy picking....faster than alternate picking, easier on bass

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
Haha your exactly like me. I was strictly fingers only but theres a certain speed that you just can get with your fingers (well I guess you could with a lota practice but I couldn't get there in the whole 4 or 5 years iv been playing).

Try play something like Parallel Universe from the chilies, thats a good to start with id say, also has a sting skip so very good practice .

To mute I kinda just my palm nearer my thumb sorta or my left hand or even both
. . .

WOW SH*T

My Axe: WarwickThumb
^

Thats actually one of the songs im trying to learn, along with fortune faded. I was wondering if there where some excercises that would help me get better at picking.

P.S. What is economy picking?
Quote by Zero-Hartman

If I can't masturbate to childrens cartoons then this country isn't great.
Quote by chopps00
^

Thats actually one of the songs im trying to learn, along with fortune faded. I was wondering if there where some excercises that would help me get better at picking.

P.S. What is economy picking?

Fortune Faded is a great song to learn to pick with - as is The Crowing by Coheed and Cambria - it's got simple bits, lots of string skipping bits, and the odd hella-fast bit.

Personally, the way I learned with a pick was just to work out what was comfortabel and what worked. That was good enough for me. The more difficult the better too as it's harder to play with a pick.
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
Slight thread hijack here, but one thing I suffer from playing bass pick-style is cramp/my wrist hurting. I play the ol' 6-string guitar as well, and don't have the problem playing that.
Just wondering if anyone had any tips on how to adjust my technique for bass to try and avoid this?
Super Leeds and Classy Cas!
Quote by sictree
Try play something like Parallel Universe from the chilies, thats a good to start with id say, also has a sting skip so very good practice .

Fun to play with just fingers though

Economy picking is a guitar-playing technique, for a guitarist who uses a pick. A hybrid of sweep picking and alternate picking, economy picking involves using alternate picking except when changing strings. In this case the guitarist changes to sweep picking, picking in the direction of travel: an upstroke if changing to a lower (pitch) string, a downstroke if changing to a higher (pitch) string. The aim is to minimize movement in the right hand, and avoid the motion of "jumping" over a string prior to picking it, as often occurs in alternate-picking. Thus the picking pattern of an ascending three-note-per-string scale would be: D-U-D-D-U-D-D-U-D..., and the descending pattern would start just like alternate picking (up stroke first): U-D-U-U-D-U-U-D-U-U...

From Wiki...
METAL
Last edited by neilinflames09 at Oct 18, 2007,
a good exercise to do (doesn't sound very nice) is start with a pick in hand and go to the G string (thin) then pick down once then pick down on D, then back to G, and continue with that same pattern to E and back down to G. So its kinda like doing suicides in gym class.. Read this left to right not top to bottom... \/ means downstroke..

then when u get terribly bored of that, turn every "\/" (down stroke) into a "\//\" (down up) for each string. Then when that gets boring do "\//\\/" (down up down) but always remember to alternate the down up try not to get two downs or ups in a row for this one.

you can also do any of these exercises using different strings as your "home base" the above example had G as the home (because you always return to that after every string played). Try the string order of DGDADEDAD or AEADAGADAEA OR EAEDEGEDEAE.. lol have fun with this.. you can also use this exercise for finger picking too but turn "down stroke" into index finger and "upstroke" into middle finger.
About GreenDayChris' little problem.. What you want to do is constantly remind your wrist to keep calm . always encourage your arm and everything to be relaxed when you play. If you play an electric bass without plugging it in, you will need a lot of force to make any sort of sound out of it. Plug it in, relax and pick at a comfortable strength. One thing to remember is how you hold the pick. Some people hold the pick way too far out which requires them to have to clamp on it harder in order to keep it from falling out. I keep my pick very tucked in with only a tip about the size of the thick bass E string sticking out. This way i have more surface area to hold on my pick. Think about the tip of an iceberg. Pretty much only expose of the pick what is required in order to be able to move the string properly. If you can imagine how much grip you would need to hold up a laptop by its corner with only your thumb and index finger its the same principle. So all in all, keep that pick tucked in and always remind your hand to just relax .
Last edited by gallo at Oct 18, 2007,
i usually use finger unless im bored do this

instead of...

|-----------|
|-----------|
|---2-------|
|-----------|

do...

|-----------|
|-----------|
|-----------|
|---7-------| 
Quote by SeveralSpecies
How the f*ck are you gonna get a cat to bark?

---------------------------5------8-----7-
----------------5-------------------------
------------------1-3-3-------/6----/5----
-1/3--1-1h3-------------------------------

Matt Freeman>You
im learning to play "pickstyle" using my index finger and thumb to form a natural pick so to speak.

you could try that...
Vala: 1987 Stratocaster Plus
Dargie: MM Stingray 5 HS Dargie Delight 1 of 15
Buttercream (for now): Stingray 4 HH ltd. 2005 Buttercream
Rose: Bongo 5 HH Fretless Candy Apple Red

Dargie Delight Aholic of the Bass Militia, PM Dinkydaisy to join
Anything that can be done with a pick, can be done with the fingers.

Also, you can get an aggressive tone when using your fingers as well, anyway.

I find it more satisfying to play 16th notes at 160bpm with my fingers than at 180bpm with a pick (I can't reach 180bpm with my fingers yet :p).
MIJ Precision 1988 / MIA Jazz 2005 -> Markbass CMD 102P -> Kustom 'Deep End' 115
Can someone possible help me to, sorry to chopps00 for Hijacking the thread.I recently bought a Epiphone Thunderbird but when I got it home and REALLY started playing it, my thumb became sore when resting on the pick-up after a while.This was after 2 songs but now its getting more difficult in less time any idea for alternative methods? If possible can it be w/out having to use a pick?
Quote by Phoenixrulz
Can someone possible help me to, sorry to chopps00 for Hijacking the thread.I recently bought a Epiphone Thunderbird but when I got it home and REALLY started playing it, my thumb became sore when resting on the pick-up after a while.This was after 2 songs but now its getting more difficult in less time any idea for alternative methods? If possible can it be w/out having to use a pick?

first off, i will try to not explain to you why it was a bad decision to get a tbird, it happens way to much around here

second, if the pickup is bothering you, you could try to use a different technique, like the moving thumbrest, where basically you rest your thumb on the E string (lowest one) when you're playing the other strings, and rest your thumb on the pickup or just let it hang out when you're playing the E string

it might be difficult, but you might like it more, it depends on whats comfortable, and if it hurts too bad, don't try resting your thumb on the neck, you'll end up playing way to far above the pickups, and your tone will sound terrible (this was a bad habit that i had trouble breaking the first month i started playing)
Or pray to the one and only "fingers of fury" Steve Harris to give fast fingers
Quote by BullHorn
Anything that can be done with a pick, can be done with the fingers.

Also, you can get an aggressive tone when using your fingers as well, anyway.

I find it more satisfying to play 16th notes at 160bpm with my fingers than at 180bpm with a pick (I can't reach 180bpm with my fingers yet :p).

How did you figure out your BPM? Just count?
I myself cant keep an even speed with pick. I play Speed Metal and find it alot easier with fingers.
Quote by In_This_Moment
How did you figure out your BPM? Just count?
I myself cant keep an even speed with pick. I play Speed Metal and find it alot easier with fingers.

metronome, silly