are there any disadvantages of having a really overwound HOT pickup?

strat pickups specifically. i want a really beefy strat tone but keeping with the single coils. i was looking at the GFS 1960s Repro overwound alnico hot strat set to put in my hollow strat (in production).

it was either these or the Jimi set and i thought these might suit my quest for a "beefed up" strat tone.
as you wound a pickup more, you choke off more and more response(to touch) and you really start to narrow down all of the available frequencies the pickup will reproduce. which may be a good or bad thing for your purposes.
Dynamics. The advantage is overdriving the tubes more easily. I don't know the brand but there may be a danger of added noise also.
Quote by rastaman_Marley

It doesn't sound good.

If you want more output, get a clean booster.
Also 'hotter' pups have less high freq and abit more lows, so putting in a hot PUP in a tele will knock some of the twang off (as I found out)
Quote by rastaman_Marley

strat pickups specifically. i want a really beefy strat tone but keeping with the single coils. i was looking at the GFS 1960s Repro overwound alnico hot strat set to put in my hollow strat (in production).

it was either these or the Jimi set and i thought these might suit my quest for a "beefed up" strat tone.

What do you mean too hot to touch? Either you're being ironic or you're stupid.

Meh. If you want beefy Strat tone, you set your pickups low, and degauss magnets. No GFS sets sound vintage either. Overwinding will increase mids, but decrease clarity and remove top end. Also if it's very overwound it won't clean up.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
i put a 500T from gibson, one of their hottest in my bridge pos on my SG and it seemed to boost mids AND his, so it may depend on the brand. either way, they're great for high output (overdriving tubes, using distortion pedals, big muff romps), but also very versatile if you roll the volume off a tad. a slight loss in dynamics is there though, too. i find that with a relatively hot pup in the bridge pos and a relatively low output neck pup and the switch in the middle position, i get the most beautiful, chimey, dynamic tone around. for a beefy strat tone, i would suggest using the second pup switch position, lowering your pups, or using EQ. also depends on what you mean by 'beefy'. you mean bassy or just plain mean? because hot puips will get you the latter.
SG
Thunderverb 50
Foot Computers
Beer and snacks
Scenery
My strat has a Fender Lace Sensor Red in the bridge. I love it. It's at about 14k, so really hot for a s/c but zero hum and great tone. Still does cleans well, though it does sound a little compressed. If I were you I'd go for one of those or a Seymour Duncan 1/4 pound for Strat.
-"Sunny Jane" '04 MIM Sunburst Fender Tele. DD HB102(n)
-"Sapphire" Indie Tribal Extreme
-"Joy" Vintage 1100N Acoustic
-"Booty" Black Squier Jazz Bass
Traynor YCS50 1x12 (V30 Speaker)
Mark Bass Little Mk II
1x15 bass cab
Quote by Y0UNGBL00D
you mean bassy or just plain mean? because hot puips will get you the latter.

just plain mean.. my amp is dark enough as it is

so should i put something nice and hot in teh bridge and a more standard resistance in the neck and middle?

also, would it help if i planned to do the mod so i can have the neck and bridge pups selected?
wait... so what DC resistance does a "Hot" pickup have? and what's a DC resistance of a "low output" pickup? and we're talking strat single coils right?

i think 6-8 is pretty hot... mine's the hottest CorduroyEW can wind on his pickup winder and the polepiece, and it's 7.7k...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
^how do u know those sound good? only recording for them on my profile is the ts9 clip lol.

i made a deal with CorduroyEW (on UG) at rockmonkeyguitars.com
he wound me a custom set. a super overwound set.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
^how do u know those sound good? only recording for them on my profile is the ts9 clip lol.

i made a deal with CorduroyEW (on UG) at rockmonkeyguitars.com
he wound me a custom set. a super overwound set.

as in, they sound like the resistance i want.

so the superoverwounds are 7.7K?
^that's the max he could wind on his extra tall pole piece.

i think regular are like 4k-6kish? single coils shouldn't have so much output.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Just curious...

...is the subject of the thread serious?

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
....do you mean...do i actually think pickups being hot means they'll burn you if you touch them?

you think i'm an idiot?

that was just a little thing called a joke, i was wondering how hot you could wind a strat pickup before it started sounding like crap
it's not how much u can wind before it starts sounding like crap. to make a single coil pickup sound like crap, u'd need a 2" tall pole piece probably. and remember, the DC resistance across the pickup does NOT indicate the total output of the pickup.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
^ Yahuh.

Well I got a hot rails style pickup in the bridge of my Strat - humbucking, 14k DC Resistance, sounds awesome, and with a 500k pot it's got good top end for cleans and the other singles have 250k pots to retain that Strat tone. 6-7k is the normal range for Strat pickups. My MIM stock bridge pickup was 6.8k. I highly recommend you put a tonepot dedicated to the bridge pickup on it - when I did this it enabled me to get humbucker-ish distorted tones with a single.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by ECistheBest
^that's the max he could wind on his extra tall pole piece.

i think regular are like 4k-6kish? single coils shouldn't have so much output.

You could use thinner wire, and be able to squeeze on a few extra hundred winds.
lookin at an emg 81/85 set, since theyre active pups n needs 9V batterys
ive heard you need to "mod" your guitar
is this anything major?
[quote="'C [R]ich']lookin at an emg 81/85 set, since theyre active pups n needs 9V batterys
ive heard you need to "mod" your guitar
is this anything major?
You'll need to install the new pots that come with the EMGs and you might need to rout out the back of the body if there isn't enough room for the battery in your current control cavity.

Quote by rastaman_Marley
....do you mean...do i actually think pickups being hot means they'll burn you if you touch them?

you think i'm an idiot?

that was just a little thing called a joke, i was wondering how hot you could wind a strat pickup before it started sounding like crap

I've learned never to underestimate UG.

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by mr_hankey
You could use thinner wire, and be able to squeeze on a few extra hundred winds.

43AWG or something ws what he used. he said he's using the thinnest.

he also thinks the 10k for GFS is a joke.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
firstly, thank you guys so much for being so helpful.

i have one last question,

I mentioned at the start that i was aiming for a fat, heavy tone remeniscent of the black keys among others. i have recently discovered that Dan from the black keys uses Dimarzio twin blade humbuckers in his tele. would these be good to look into for the sound i'm looking for? or are there any other alternatives that are cheaper than the Dimarzios coz theyre very expensive here.