I was thinking of modding my Squier, but figured I might aswell just buy a whole new guitar.

I just want to know if it's worth spending a few extra hundred quid on a USA model.

I'm left handed, so it's hard to even find any sort of guitar.

I wanna throw new pickups in it, some hotrails or texas specials in the bridge and a PAF Pro in the bridge.

Also, does it make a huge difference whether the neck is Maple/Rosewood?

I'd want this guitar to be as versatile as possible, playing music from Bon Jovi to Iron Maiden.

Cheers.
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
Ibanez RG1570 - DM Breeds
Epi Les Paul - Warthog Pup
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10rdcKp317I - New X-men Theme Vid
depending on your squier, you might be better off comparing whether to mod the squier or go mexican.

and the answer would be MIJ.

and maple necks are a bit brighter, but you might want to check this out yourself. you might find that theres a larger difference in terms of feel as opposed to sound.
within you lay everything
every key
every secret

untouched and in plain sight
if i were u id get a usa strat just cause there way better than the mexi strats
My gear:
Line 6 spider 2 75 watts
ibanez rg 570
fender hss hwy 1 stratocaster
washburn acoustic
Quote by led_zep_fan55
if i were u id get a usa strat just cause there way better than the mexi strats

Ok well I gathered this from the huge price difference, but I wanted to know how.

I mean I think my Squier sounds good, so how good must a MIA sound?

Forgot about MIJ, it's a problem finding the right guitar on the internet though, let alone a store and trying it out.

I'm gonna go into London one day soon and have a look in the stores there.

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop/flypage/product_id/10607

That's what I'd be after ideally, although it's only 21 frets.
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

Yeah I'll be after one of those too, I have a DSL 401 but it doesn't cut higher gain, I just never really liked it. Something small for my room that can hit rock/metal is all I need in an amp.

Thinking about it I don't know if I can afford a Left handed American Fender, mod it AND buy a new amp. I think I'll have to stick with Mexican!
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

There's really not an awful lot of difference between Mexi and American strats. Certainly not worth paying twice the money for. If you're looking at an expensive strat, save up a bit extra for an American Vintage. Then you really do get a step up in quality.
My two cents, get the MIM because you plan on modding it. If you can find an economical MIJ, then even better. It just doesn't make a lot of sense to spend all that money on a MIA if the first thing you're going to do is add more expensive pickups.
I've never understood the point of buying a guitar and swapping out the pickups right away, especially when you say things like "Hot Rails or Texas Specials," which are two totally different animals. You should spend some time shopping around, IMO, for a guitar that you like the sound of right off the shelf.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
I've never understood the point of buying a guitar and swapping out the pickups right away, especially when you say things like "Hot Rails or Texas Specials," which are two totally different animals. You should spend some time shopping around, IMO, for a guitar that you like the sound of right off the shelf.

Listen to this guy, with a sig like that he can't possibly be wrong!
''Technological advancements are like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.'' - Albert Einstein
Quote by rickyy
Listen to this guy, with a sig like that he can't possibly be wrong!

He can be when I'm left handed, and there's about 1 guitar, 2 if I'm lucky in every shop.

I also want the guitar to be as versatile as possible.

Thanks for the advice though guys.
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

Quote by Chex
He can be when I'm left handed, and there's about 1 guitar, 2 if I'm lucky in every shop.

I also want the guitar to be as versatile as possible.

Thanks for the advice though guys.

if you're looking for versatility, i would like to humbly suggest a godin with an HSH pup configuration

http://instruments.search.ebay.com/godin_Electric_W0QQ_trksidZm37QQcatrefZC12QQfromZR40QQsacatZ33034

just for examples.
within you lay everything
every key
every secret

untouched and in plain sight
Quote by staticoverdub
and the answer would be MIJ.

+ a lot.

edwards, tokai, blade, etc. etc. would all be worth a look. Fender has MIJ's too, but they're expensive here compared to what they go for in Japan...

EDIT: godin would be a good call too^

problem is the left-handed thing.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
there isn't a huge difference between mexican and american fenders, if you had to buy online then you'd have piece of mind getting a MIA strat due to better quality control, but if you can hand pick from a bunch of MIM you could easily find one up to par with the MIA
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Considering I've never played either a MIA or MIM It'd be hard to tell if I was given a dud (if bought online). I could always ask the guys in the store to play them for me, to hear what they sound like (due to the lack of left handers being available).
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

I love most MIJ guitars (I have a MIJ Strat.) Another option may be to check out the Carvin Bolt. I think they come in a lefty version and Carvin now ships overseas from the US. Don't know if they would still be a good deal over there.
Can someone enumerate the differences between a MIM and an MIA strat? I have an MIM and I love it, but I have no frame of reference since I haven't played anything else and am a fairly new player. Im curious what the differences are - better pickups? different wood used on the neck? etc etc?
i feel ur pain man, im a lefty too, i cant just go into stores and try guitars out since most stores dont carry alot of left handed models. check out a website called southpawguitars.com, all left handed guitars (as the name implies) and they have a huge fender selection, as for your squier id say take the total cost of mods you would do to ur squier and add that to the price u paid for the squier. some mods might be new pups, new saddles like graphtech and string tree, a new nut, new tuners, etc... then after u did that see what the price of a decent fender mia or mim cost, then also compare specs and see wut gets u more bang for ur buck hope it helps
XBLive Gamertag: ecdeluxe1000 send me friend requests (make sure u put UG in the message somewhere)
MIAs are in general better. Comfier, better tone, better tuning, nicer necks, better playability. But I actually found that the Classic Player series Strats equalled the USA in terms of specs, playability, tuning, neck niceness and also comfort. So it's not about where it was made necessarily although that is a bit of an impact, it's the guitar's quality and how it was built.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
MIAs are in general better. Comfier, better tone, better tuning, nicer necks, better playability. But I actually found that the Classic Player series Strats equalled the USA in terms of specs, playability, tuning, neck niceness and also comfort. So it's not about where it was made necessarily although that is a bit of an impact, it's the guitar's quality and how it was built.

Right, but these are all sort of subjective measurements - saying it "feels better" or has a "nicer neck" is more of a personal matter than an apples-to-apples comparison of facts. I'm not saying you are wrong, though. I guess next time I go to the guitar store I should try an MIA and see for myself.

thanks...
Quote by notslash
Right, but these are all sort of subjective measurements - saying it "feels better" or has a "nicer neck" is more of a personal matter than an apples-to-apples comparison of facts. I'm not saying you are wrong, though. I guess next time I go to the guitar store I should try an MIA and see for myself.

thanks...
A nicer neck is a comparative stat. Go play a Squier Affinity next to an MIA. Then tell me the neck on the Squier is better, it's all the same principle. I wouldn't say the Squier had a better neck, and for sure you only find out by playing it, but honestly why buy a guitar if you've never played it? The personal aspect is overwhelming in the guitar world.
MIA is a brilliant guitar for literally everything, so... I don't see how you can go wrong.
UK pricing?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If I were in your shoes (but still had some of my own nuttyness...)

I'd get a MIM right handed tele, a graphtech nut, and an extra strap button. Mix to taste.
Quote by Dirk Gently

My newest guitar I bought planning to swap pickups right away, and I fell in love and don't want to change it. I agree, no point in changing pickups right away.

I recommend just taking a dive and buying the guitar you like the neck of. You'll know if you need new pickups or not after you've played it a while(over a year). Chances are, by that time you won't even be considering a pickup swap anymore.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Quote by MrCarrot
A nicer neck is a comparative stat. Go play a Squier Affinity next to an MIA. Then tell me the neck on the Squier is better, it's all the same principle. I wouldn't say the Squier had a better neck, and for sure you only find out by playing it, but honestly why buy a guitar if you've never played it? The personal aspect is overwhelming in the guitar world.

I liked my squier neck over an american deluxe neck...
Its all prefrence
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by kool98769
I liked my squier neck over an american deluxe neck...
Its all prefrence

I didn't specify liking. I specified 'better', as in quality, you can tell easily by playing the guitar. Fretwork, accurate radius, nut quality, nut cut, fret edges, resilience to warping (you can sometimes tell a bad neck like this if stock it's pretty bent), if it's not maple then fretboard dryness will also tell you quality of wood/care at the factory, or if it's fairly old they'll all be dry. Rolled Fretboard edges are sometimes a hint too.

My point was, the American Deluxe will rank better in all those categories - but you can only find out by playing.
Quote by MrCarrot
I didn't specify liking. I specified 'better', as in quality, you can tell easily by playing the guitar. Fretwork, accurate radius, nut quality, nut cut, fret edges, resilience to warping (you can sometimes tell a bad neck like this if stock it's pretty bent), if it's not maple then fretboard dryness will also tell you quality of wood/care at the factory, or if it's fairly old they'll all be dry. Rolled Fretboard edges are sometimes a hint too.

My point was, the American Deluxe will rank better in all those categories - but you can only find out by playing.

Still, not necessarily. Squier factories don't magically turn woods into crap. You can still find nice fretboard wood, and all of the other things. With Squiers it's just more about luck. But, I'm sure I could easily find a Squier that schools an American Deluxe that I could find in all those categories.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Meh whatever.

Fender American Deluxe Strat is a higher quality guitar than a Squier Affinity. Discuss
Quote by MrCarrot
Generally, Fender American Deluxe Strat is a higher quality guitar than a Squier Affinity.

fixed in my opinion.

but i want to try an MIJ so i can say more about MIJs!!!
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
fixed in my opinion.

Concur.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

ok imo, you may want to go for the Mexican strat and mod that (if necessary) or if you don't want to do that mod your squier there are heaps of people that do it.

PS i wouldn't get a USA standard i would probably go for the highway one or something (but then again i don't really know to much about the USA std)
The problem with trying everything is exactly that. I can't being a lefty. I know it's pot luck buying from the internet, but I don't really have much choice if I'm fussy over what I want.

Seeming as I'm going to stick a humbucker in the strat, it probably makes more sense to get a Fat strat I guess.
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby