my friend is looking for an amp. he wants something with really good cleans and a good o/d channel (not like metal just goood) although the clean channel is more important. i suggested a hot rod deluxe. anything better for the price? hes looking to buy of ebay australia or ebay america.
pricerange 1500AUD around 1300USD

thanks
Quote by devilscruffs14
once i banged a 5 year old chick, i love banging older women.

HAHA
Last edited by TubzyX at Oct 17, 2007,
Fender Twin maybe? I'd also look into a Mesa Boogie Mark I,II, and III. If you're lucky you might be able to find a vintage Fender silverface or something. The silverface isn't as well known as the blackface or the twin, but I personally know a few guys that use it and it sounds freaking amazing clean wise.
Emo is to music as etch-a-sketch is to art.

Quote by TMVolta19
Music can't really be judged, since it's all on the same level. Unless it's screamo. then it sucks.
Quote by omarrodrigez
Fender Twin maybe? I'd also look into a Mesa Boogie Mark I,II, and III. If you're lucky you might be able to find a vintage Fender silverface or something. The silverface isn't as well known as the blackface or the twin, but I personally know a few guys that use it and it sounds freaking amazing clean wise.

For cleans, yes, those Fenders are great. But getting OD out of them will be a problem unless you plan on sticking your amp at the end of the street and using a 200ft cable. Those things are DAMN loud, with no substantial breakup probably until you really (I mean, really) crank it.

TS, you hit the nail on the head. If he got a used Hot Rod Deluxe he'd still have plenty to spend on other such stuff as pedals, or a guitar, or even another amp

But seriously, the HRD sounds perfect, but what is he planning using it for? Gigs? Rehearsals? Home practice?
if you could find a second hand matchless, possibly a cheiftan that'd be perfect for that sound. or something by bad cat amps might be good to.
I have heard a few complaints on the distortion of the Hot Rod, but not that many. For the best cleans you know you are going to need headroom, so you may be looking at least 50 watts tube, unless you play at fairly low volume. Twin Reverbs will blow your ears out before significant distortion, so you may have to consider relying on getting an amp with good preamp dist. if you want the best cleans, either that or a pedal.
Quote by Don_Humpador
For cleans, yes, those Fenders are great. But getting OD out of them will be a problem unless you plan on sticking your amp at the end of the street and using a 200ft cable. Those things are DAMN loud, with no substantial breakup probably until you really (I mean, really) crank it.

TS, you hit the nail on the head. If he got a used Hot Rod Deluxe he'd still have plenty to spend on other such stuff as pedals, or a guitar, or even another amp

But seriously, the HRD sounds perfect, but what is he planning using it for? Gigs? Rehearsals? Home practice?

The HRD's OD is just appallingly bad though. I'd rather have a silverface with an OD pedal than a HRD.

Quote by TMVolta19
Music can't really be judged, since it's all on the same level. Unless it's screamo. then it sucks.
Quote by omarrodrigez
The HRD's OD is just appallingly bad though. I'd rather have a silverface with an OD pedal than a HRD.

Which is why I said he'd have enough money for pedals, or perhaps stretch it to an amp that can do the OD he needs. It's cliched, but an OCD would work a treat.
Quote by Don_Humpador
Which is why I said he'd have enough money for pedals, or perhaps stretch it to an amp that can do the OD he needs. It's cliched, but an OCD would work a treat.

Yeah an OCD would be the perfect substitute for the HRD's OD channel.

Quote by TMVolta19
I dunno about currency exchange but how much do Orange Amps go for over there?
They've got a great O/D & the clean is quite good to.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Everyone knows the Hot Rod has the best cleans. But the OD channel is pretty bad. So if those two things are near enough just as important as each other, I'd look elsewhere.

I'm getting a Marshall TSL100 - and you can actually get some very nice cleans out of it. There's also a 60 watt version, which might suit you friend better.
Quote by dickeskind
orange all the way!!!

There is nothing clean about Orange amps in my experience. TS, have you considered a Roland Jazz Chorus? Also consider a 65 Deluxe Reverb by Fender, but you will need an overdrive pedal for it. No way you're getting that overdriven decently without destroying your hearing.
Quote by muffinman123192
Vox Ac30?

exactly what i was thinking.

Quote by CJRocker
There is nothing clean about Orange amps in my experience. TS, have you considered a Roland Jazz Chorus? Also consider a 65 Deluxe Reverb by Fender, but you will need an overdrive pedal for it. No way you're getting that overdriven decently without destroying your hearing.

what ?

a deluxe reverb has amazing cleans yeah, that's another one to look into.
but the JC is SS, so an OD pedal won't sound as good as with a tube amp...
Orange's cleans on the AD are pretty nice apparently, but on the Rockers, again, apparently, they're not amazing. Good, but not amazing. And the OD on those beasts is great.

Vox AC30 is a viable solution ; but I don't know how much they go for used in Australia.

HRD + OCD or the Vox is his best bet, IMO.
Well he can get it new and it would be $1000 USD, which is less than his budget. He'd still have money left over too.
Ben
Quote by muffinman123192
Well he can get it new and it would be $1000 USD, which is less than his budget. He'd still have money left over too.

You mean the AC30? If that's true, it's definitely worth it
So? He's got $1500 AUD, that's about $1300 USD. AC30 costs $1000 USD new, that would be what, $1200 AUD new? It fits his budget.
Ben
Quote by muffinman123192
So? He's got $1500 AUD, that's about $1300 USD. AC30 costs $1000 USD new, that would be what, $1200 AUD new? It fits his budget.

EDIT : Never mind, my mistake, ignore this post.

*Whistles loudly while walking away inconspicuously*
Last edited by Don_Humpador at Oct 18, 2007,
umm hes willing to ship from american ebay or anywhere else that would ship to australia cause the aud is 90cents usd at the moment.

hes planning on it for mostly home practice but definatly gigable. so something good at low volumes but also gigable.

he also has a masssive digitech fx board, so he needs an amp that takes that well (good fx loop).
Quote by devilscruffs14
once i banged a 5 year old chick, i love banging older women.

HAHA
Quote by The red Strat.
what ?

a deluxe reverb has amazing cleans yeah, that's another one to look into.
but the JC is SS, so an OD pedal won't sound as good as with a tube amp...

I should clarify. There cleans sound really good, it's just hey aren't clean amps. I found the two I played back a year ago to be extremely dirty. That said, I can't remember the models for the life of me...