I asked a question on another forum whether or not I should import a Fender American Strat and a Roland Cube20x from the US to Australia. One of the posters said this:

they are only good for pop punk because they are trashy, but you can make any guitar sound trashy, it's just that fenders sound trashy right of the bat..... the better pop punk bands use low end Ibanez, or Gibson SGs, still sound trashy but with more versatility

you are mistaken... the strat body type has a sharper cut, but fender build quality is crap, and the strat body type has been done to better efect by other companies

basically the strat body type is a variation of a double cut away , typically the less body you have the better the cut and the worse the sustain, a les paul is a single cut away which give greater sustain but sacrafices cut.....

most electric guitars are based on the strat body type....

My question is, are Fender Strats really trashy? From what I've heard they are really good for getting a clear tone. For some reason I found his posts a bit peculiar as they seemed to contradict many other opinions I've heard.
In the end it is just an opinion, but from your experience, do you think his opinion has some truth to it?
it has some truth to it
almost all guitar brands' build quality has gone downhill a bit, but if you play a lot of them before buying, you chouldbe able to get a well biult guitar
and its true that fender strats dont have as good sustain as les pauls, but what do you expect, they are built for different styles of music. and the sustain isn;t that bad.
as for the "cut", i guess they are talking about the upper fret access. play some strats, and see if you like the body style. some do, some dont, its a matter of preference
and no, they dont sound trashy, that guy is just talking out of his arse. again, its a matter of prefference
Gear:
Ibanez Destroyer
Roland Cube 60
Boss TU-80
Ovation acoustic
Original Crybaby

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried" Josh Homme

My Profile

^^Check out my profile for some improv solos^^
Quote by AussieVesti
I asked a question on another forum whether or not I should import a Fender American Strat and a Roland Cube20x from the US to Australia. One of the posters said this:

they are only good for pop punk because they are trashy, but you can make any guitar sound trashy, it's just that fenders sound trashy right of the bat..... the better pop punk bands use low end Ibanez, or Gibson SGs, still sound trashy but with more versatility

you are mistaken... the strat body type has a sharper cut, but fender build quality is crap, and the strat body type has been done to better efect by other companies

basically the strat body type is a variation of a double cut away , typically the less body you have the better the cut and the worse the sustain, a les paul is a single cut away which give greater sustain but sacrafices cut.....

most electric guitars are based on the strat body type....

My question is, are Fender Strats really trashy? From what I've heard they are really good for getting a clear tone. For some reason I found his posts a bit peculiar as they seemed to contradict many other opinions I've heard.
In the end it is just an opinion, but from your experience, do you think his opinion has some truth to it?

I've never believed Strats to have a trashy sound. Their great all round Guitars and can deliver alot.
But its also got alot to do with your Rig. But yes typically the Sustain on Strats is not as good as a Les Paul, but its about the sound you want to make.
Do you want a Guitar with driving force and power? or do you want a bluesly mellow sound?
No, that guy is retarded
Fenders are great for clean and bluesy stuff. Their build quality may not be the BEST but they're definitely not bad, especially their american series. I dont think Clapton was a trashy punk guitarist... lol

have a nice day
My Gear
Line 6 Variax 600
Epiphone G-310
Ibanez RG350EX
81' Ibanez Blazer Bass

Line 6 Spider III 75
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Fender ToneMaster Mini
Boss DD-2 Delay
Boss CE-2 Chorus

My Band
Band MySpace!
Band UG Profile
Try telling Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, Buddy Guy, Mark Knopfler, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Jeff Beck, Robert Cray, David Gilmour, etc. that Fender Stratocasters are trashy.

This guy is making broad, sweeping generalizations about the Fender Strat that simply are not true. Maybe he had a bad experience with a low end strat, but the fact of the matter is that Fender Strats are NOT generally "trashy" guitars.
Fender Standard Stratocaster
BC Rich Mockingbird Supreme (USA Custom Shop)
BC Rich NJ Neck-Thru Series Mockingbird
Epiphone Elite Les Paul Standard

Laney TT50-112
Peavey Classic 30
Epiphone Valve Junior
Roland Microcube
Quote by AussieVesti
...do you think his opinion has some truth to it?

truth and opinion should never be used in the same sentence. it's an oxymoron.
within you lay everything
every key
every secret

untouched and in plain sight
^ You forgot Malmsteen and Blackmore :P
Frank Zappa's not dead. He just smells funny.
it's not that strats have a trashy sound, it's that single coils produce a sound more apt to sounding trashy than humbucking pickups.

that said, i'll play my ibanez for smooth sounds, my strat for semi-nasty sounds, and my tele if i just want to sound like a dumpster baby (name that tv show reference).
gear?
coming soon... parker fly mojo flame
ibanezes: rg350dx frankenstein * rg7620 7-string
fenders: telecaster plus * stratocaster plus

line 6: pod xt live * ax2 212
other: laney vh100r * mesa dual rectifier * monster cables
Get it from sydney you knob

it may seem cheaper but what ya gonna do when it ****s up?

pay alot to get them repaired, coz you have no warranty

ALSO dont forget you'll need a universal adaptor thingo for the cube!
the fender strat was orginaly built for country and blues, the wammy bar was to make it sound more like a steel slide guitar
Quote by Steve The Plank
Maybe you should just eliminate the idea of being a LEAD guitarist or a RHYTHM guitarist and just come to terms with being a guitarist.

Quote by Mike Huber
I used to steal legos from my friend. He always had the coolest pieces.
Quote by DougC84
it's not that strats have a trashy sound, it's that single coils produce a sound more apt to sounding trashy than humbucking pickups.

that said, i'll play my ibanez for smooth sounds, my strat for semi-nasty sounds, and my tele if i just want to sound like a dumpster baby (name that tv show reference).

family guy?
prom night dumpster baby?
Gear:
Ibanez Destroyer
Roland Cube 60
Boss TU-80
Ovation acoustic
Original Crybaby

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried" Josh Homme

My Profile

^^Check out my profile for some improv solos^^
Dumpster Baby = Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Importing an Am. Strat may not be so bad, as technically thats all you can do. I wouldn't bother importing a Cube, you can do better down under (Harley Benton and some pedals.)
Quote by FacingUsAll
Dumpster Baby = Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

winner.

i forgot about the family guy episode.
gear?
coming soon... parker fly mojo flame
ibanezes: rg350dx frankenstein * rg7620 7-string
fenders: telecaster plus * stratocaster plus

line 6: pod xt live * ax2 212
other: laney vh100r * mesa dual rectifier * monster cables