type "blues scale" and "pentatonic scale" (2 different searches) into the lessons search on this site and that would be a good start. definately learn as many scales as you can. it's very important to writing good songs. it seems that a lot of new bands dont even bother learning theory and you can hear the difference. classic rock vs modern rock
First learn major and minor scales, and building chords from them.
Learn basic chord theory with that too.

Then move on modes of major scale.
MT FAQ should be helpful enough for the start.
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.
my advice would be not to use 'scales' but to use 1 scale... the major scale!

i think it is very important to get the basics learnt on the major scale, as it is the root of all theory, the way chords are built from it and the way is is manipulated to form all the other scales.

i have no doubt somebody will come along and say "hey, learn E Harmonic Minor... it's the best scale ever whooohooo"

probably best to read the sticky and get the major basics done... this will save you all the years i wasted!!!!!!!!!
^+1. Listen to this guy. That's how you should begin. If you know your major scale, you can pretty much build any scale up by yourself, since all other scales are built off the alterations that are made to the intervals of the major scale. Speaking of which, learn your intervals too.
Quote by buckethead_jr
I didn't think they had metal in the 1790's

Quote by Guitarislife125
Copper is a metal

Quote by buckethead_jr
Ah, touche.
Quote by BassTalk
^+1. Listen to this guy. That's how you should begin. If you know your major scale, you can pretty much build any scale up by yourself, since all other scales are built off the alterations that are made to the intervals of the major scale. Speaking of which, learn your intervals too.

Yeah intervals are must.

Learn how to construct chords from major scale by the way.
Many of newbies ''learn'' scale just like a position or two on the neck.
Then they come here and ask: ''Which chords fit with each other?''
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.