I did my search on here. Nothing.

I did my search on Google. Little to nothing.

So what can you guys tell me abotu 8-string basses other than the fact they have a second set of octave strings?

What genre would they be good for? What is their main purpose? How do they sound? Who makes good ones (under $500)?

etc.

I was looking at a Dean Edge 8, but I would like to know more about them.

All opinions welcome. Thanks.
Well, they sound great, I would go for a 12, personally (Dean Rhapsody 12 is cheap), but yeah, you get a nice tone out of them, very eastern style. Jeff Ament of PJ uses 8s and 12s (e.g. Jeremy, I Am Mine).

Finger pick with them. The octave string is below the main string, so you'll be overdigging to hit the main string and probably snap the octave string.
They can be a real bitch to play well, and they take a lot longer to tune, especially by ear.
Am I the only UG'er with an 8-banger?

8's are exponentially easier to play than 12's because on a 12 you have to barre each course of strings, whereas on an 8 you can play somewhat normally. However, you'll need good fretting hand technique. None of this 'thumb over the fretboard' nonsense. You need to press down evenly on both strings and the best way to do that is 1-finger-per-fret with your thumb on the back of the neck.

Soundwise, there isn't THAT much of a difference between an 8 and a 12, believe it or not. The 12 sounds a fair bit 'bigger' but the overall tonal qualities are quite similar. The best way I can describe the sound is a bass and a clean guitar playing the same line at the same time.

It's actually 'easier' to play with a pick, but it's the octave string that dictates string tension. You'll probably want to spring for a light pick. However, my bass is a POS with passive electronics and it's very top-heavy sounding when played with a pick so I actually play it with fingers or my index finger/thumb pretending to be a pick.

Grab an 8-string and play an E power chord on the 7th fret of the A string and let the open E string ring along with it. It sounds immense.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Hey fitzer, how much did that 8er cost??? Eye wanna pick one up relatively cheap. Any suggestions mayyyn?
Quote by Sly Taco
Hey fitzer, how much did that 8er cost??? Eye wanna pick one up relatively cheap. Any suggestions mayyyn?

I paid $130 for mine off eBay. SilverSpringMusic.

The electronics are GARBAGE but it plays well enough.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Yea bro, i saw some cheap number on ebay just now. Think its the same company. Semi-hollowbody tho. Thank you sir. Im sure i'll think the electronics are junk too, since we are both MIA jazz men.
Quote by Sly Taco
Yea bro, i saw some cheap number on ebay just now. Think its the same company. Semi-hollowbody tho. Thank you sir. Im sure i'll think the electronics are junk too, since we are both MIA jazz men.

Yeah, no kidding - but they're crap, even for Epiphones. However my Fulltone has a clean boost so it's not that bad (they're really low-output).

Keep an eye out, though - they charge ridiculous buy-it-now prices but often they put instruments up for graps starting at $3 bidding. Wait for those.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Yeah, expect 2 volume knobs and 2 master tone knobs. Personally I'm not a fan of that one because there's no adjustable bridge so you're pretty much set with intonation and action. That's just me, though. I'd wait and see if some others come. They make pretty cool doublenecks.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
I paid $130 for mine off eBay. SilverSpringMusic.

The electronics are GARBAGE but it plays well enough.

Fitz...How much of your gear did you get off of ebay for amazing value?
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
I'll put it like this: if I didn't buy my gear off eBay, I bought something off eBay and sold it for twice the price and then bought gear with that 'profit'. All of it. Except my strat.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
I'll put it like this: if I didn't buy my gear off eBay, I bought something off eBay and sold it for twice the price and then bought gear with that 'profit'. All of it. Except my strat.

Wow...Smart......Literally all?
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
Quote by sammcl-15
Wow...Smart......Literally all?

After looking at my gear list, all except for my strat, mandobird, and precision. Those were gifts. If I didn't buy all the other stuff at stupid eBay prices, I made money from selling things I bought on eBay.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
After looking at my gear list, all except for my strat, mandobird, and precision. Those were gifts. If I didn't buy all the other stuff at stupid eBay prices, I made money from selling things I bought on eBay.

Quit spamming my thread.

Thanks for all your input. I think I will skip on the 8-stringer for now and get myself a quality 6-string machine.

Any thoughts on the ESP B-206?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-B206SM-6String-Bass?sku=513745
Quote by eaton1012
I think that 8'strings are to many

They play like 4-strings.

Anyway, John Paul Jones' album Zooma features 8-string almost exclusively. The tracks Tidal and B. Fingers are perfect examples.

EDIT:

Tidal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGHWxLruLvA

Another cool one, but it might be a mandocello: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQHxFoAp_W8
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Last edited by thefitz at Oct 17, 2007,
Quote by eaton1012
I think that 8'strings are to many

are you talking about the two octave 8 string or the big ass extended range 8 string?
Quote by -February-Star-
Real bassists know about different techniques and are aware of the merits and applications of each.

Because we're the least ignorant, most hardworking and most talented musicians in the world. We also surpass all others in general awesomeness.
Quote by Asomodai
I prefer 8's as they are far easier to slap on and the benefits of a 12 over an 8 are very few.

Plus this guy uses 8 strings to GREAT effect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2s3mx3oLBQ

Fantastic solo.

That video was pretty awesome.

I'd love to get an 8-string or a 10-string, but I feel I still need to "master" the 4.

EDIT: I'm aware that 8's and 10's have the strings kind of "layered" but I think you guys know what I mean
I'd love to get an 8-string or a 10-string, but I feel I still need to "master" the 4.

Good luck with that....even Geezer Butler says he has yet to "master" a 4-string bass.
Quote by HeavyMetalHero
Good luck with that....even Geezer Butler says he has yet to "master" a 4-string bass.

Well I don't compare myself to him (or any other pro bassists for that matter), so when I feel I've done what I can w/ a 4 for the time then I'll move on to more strings.