So as a senior project for high school I've chosen to look into digital (namely web-based) distrubution of music (name my own). The plan is to create and host a webpage where I put up my music for sale and the hope is to make it attractive to customers who don't regurarly goes out and buy albums and such from the store.
It's not about the money though, so I probably won't really be charging anything, but the plan is for the site to work in theory at least.

Anyways, this is nearly impossible to accomplish unless I can get some opinions and sugestions from you, being the potential customers you are (at least pretend you are, please!! ).

So, what would you consider important factors from such a site and what price sounds about right for a song/three-song package/album in digital form?
For me to buy an album in digital form it would have to be considerably cheaper than a physical CD (say $5-$7) and in a lossless format like .wav or .flac.
Make the navigation of the webpage html based instead of flash-based like so many high tech graphic designers do. And for a song I think around a dollar would be appropriate. And maybe as a gimmick make albums cheaper then purchasing the songs individually.

But the website should be visually appealing to entice the customer to explore the website. If it's confusing to navigate, very cluttered or messy or unprofessional. It has a very prominent effect on people.
Quote by Blaster Bob
For me to buy an album in digital form it would have to be considerably cheaper than a physical CD (say $5-$7) and in a lossless format like .wav or .flac.

Well, that sounds reasonable.
A very nice web 2.0 layout, and very easy to use!

Sounds very do-able too.

I was thinking simplicity, it shouldn't be harder to get a song online that it is at the store.
Well, the real difficult part about hosting any kind of media on the internet is finding a host that supports audio file hosting. Or finding a way to supply your own server to host your stuff.
I haven't done any real research into it, but I don't think it would be too hard.

Are you planning to purchase a domain?
Quote by kaplac
Well, the real difficult part about hosting any kind of media on the internet is finding a host that supports audio file hosting. Or finding a way to supply your own server to host your stuff.
I haven't done any real research into it, but I don't think it would be too hard.

Are you planning to purchase a domain?

No need, no need. My school provides me with servers and funds to a small extent.

Also, I've studied web design and have had some experiences with recording music before, so what I really need is imput. Opinions. Suggestions.

Thanks alot for your help I really appreciate it (I'm honest when I say I can't really do this without your help).
I suppose ease of use, cheapness, maybe previews?
And buying in bulk ie. a whole album should definately be cheaper
I'm so unique I don't even have a sig.
The simpler the better, but not boring
Previews area good idea,
I'd say the important thing is that It's easy just to pop onto my MP3 (no strange formats).
Yeah, previews and reviews are solid ideas (and of course, the buying in bulk idea).

The problem with file formats are that .waw is a higher quality format, but it won't work on MP3 plays, which of course is an issue.
I guess an option to choose which format you want would be the best solution?
I'd rather have MP3s myself. Less disk space and easy to put on CD.
Death to Ovation haters!
Well, I guess MP3s would be easier on the brandwith, but I feel bad about denying people the right to high quality versions too.

Meh, I see no harm in allowing both. Getting both at once would probably be stretching it though.
Quote by joeymaxx
You could put like a download limit time on aswell.
Say you buy it, and your computer dies, you have a week to download again

That's true. One solution would be to give you a code that allows you to download the file as many times as you want. The problem with that is that people would just share the codes and no one would pay for the music and we'd be back at square one again. =/

Perhaps if you registered an acount and got a unique code? But would that be too much hassle for the user (to be forced to register an acount before you are allowed to download anything)?
Registration I think would be a good idea. That way you could have some type of control over who buys music. That way if somehow someone does something that deserves a banning from your site you can delete their account, and they wouldn't be able to rejoin without a different credit card number.
Require people to enter something personal when they're downloading a song - like their credit card number or just the confirmation code. That'll stop account sharing, for sure.
I'm a communist. Really.
The flaw in this is that people can just download it illeagally, and there is pretty much nothing to stop them

If i really like the band and want them to have some money i will buy the CD, but would never by the files off the net...i want something physical for my 10 quid ya know?
Hm, so a registered acount per user seems like a good idea then? That should be do-able I think.
The flaw in this is that people can just download it illeagally, and there is pretty much nothing to stop them

If i really like the band and want them to have some money i will buy the CD, but would never by the files off the net...i want something physical for my 10 quid ya know?

Yeah, I can see what you mean.

Problem is, the way music is distributed today is flawed. It's expensive to buy records, and the label gets most of the profit anyway (and of course, as you said, there is the issue of easy, elegal, free downloads).

My theory is that getting music legally was a cheaper, easier and proccess which gave the band most of the profit rather than some random suits people would be more open to actually purchasing music rather than just downloading it.

Of course, the price for music needs to be greatly reduced and you need to get more value for your hard earned cash, which is why I do this survey essentially.