There are a lot of fake guitars out there. Most of them don't represent themselves as the real thing, but rather as "copies" of popular models such as Fender Stratocasters and Gibson Les Pauls. However, there is a newer breed of guitars currently being built in China that are attempts to be exact copies of the high end Gibson Les Paul guitar and are built to fool the unwary consumer. These guitars attempt to duplicate the real thing by even including the Made in USA and realistic looking serial number on the back of the headstock. But there are ways to identify these guitars. First off, if anyone, especially a seller based in China is selling a Gibson Les Paul for an alarmingly low amount and there isn't a lot of activity driving the price up to market value - beware. Most of these guitars do not fool high end guitar buyers, but the uninformed buyer can be easily taken in by what appears to be a real Les Paul that stores will sell for $1800- $3000 going for $100 - $300. Here's some simple ways to tell if these guitars are imitations:
1. The guitar is located in China or some other Asian country. No Gibsons are manufactured in China, all Gibsons are US Made. Gibson has satellite companies like Epiphone that manufacture overseas and are much less expensive.
2. The sellers sometimes state that the country of origin is China, apparently in a half hearted attempt to dispell that the guitars are real, even though they stamp Made in USA right on the guitars.
3. There are some subtle differences between the fake Les Pauls and the real thing. Look closely at the headstock front. Most of the fakes have a Gibson logo that is of a thicker font than the real Gibson logo and is aligned almost horizontally at the top of the headstock. The real Gibson logo is a thinner font and is angled with the G started near the post of the D string tuner. The real key is to look at the truss rod cover. Real Gibsons have a bell shaped truss rod cover with TWO screws. Every fake I've seen has a cover with a similiar shape but with THREE screws. Also, the copies of Les Paul Standards often say "Gibson" right on the truss rod cover, NO Les Pauls say Gibson on the truss rod cover, some Epiphone Les Pauls do but those aren't made in the USA and say Epiphone at the top of the headstock not Gibson.
4. These guitars that are often stamped with legitimate looking serial numbers but they don't always match the true manufacture years of the real Gibson guitars.
5. All high end Les Pauls come with nice Gibson cases, these fakes rarely include a case.
6. ASK THE SELLER - many of them will admit that the guitars are made in China, and remember, no Gibsons, especially those that say Made in USA, are made in China.
These sellers are a real menace and frankly I'd like to see them shut down. Report this kind of abuse to eBay and alert Gibson of this, even though I'm sure they are aware of this piracy. These guitars can be manufactured in great numbers and flood the market place, making it hard for a lot of everyday guitar players to know a fake from the real thing so please don't support these sellers by buying these guitars.
Fix the headline please, it's a good thread, but WAY to meesed up.
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
id also mention something about abnormally high shipping prices.
within you lay everything
every key
every secret

untouched and in plain sight
I'd actually buy a fake Gibson if i could, just for the heck of it. It'd be interesting to see how it played, sounded, etc. It's not like Gibson doesn't make enough with its over priced guitars as it is.
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
^ there's no point in buying a fake gibson like that, it's guaranteed to be crap. buy a japanese copy if you want a good gibson-esque guitar, but don't want to buy a gibson.

Quote by staticoverdub
id also mention something about abnormally high shipping prices.

+1

Good idea for a thread, possibly just, as muppet already said, tidy it up a little.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i was in china last week and there was ALOT of fake stuff there. didn't look for any guitar though.
Quote by FlamingYouth
I'd actually buy a fake Gibson if i could, just for the heck of it. It'd be interesting to see how it played, sounded, etc. It's not like Gibson doesn't make enough with its over priced guitars as it is.

just buy an epiphone, it will be much better than those fake ones and still pretty cheap
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
Quote by GraceKim
http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Features/CounterfeitGibsons/

Read the rest of the article and see the pictures at www.gibson.com

Not cool!
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
used to be tons on ebay. 99p £190 shipping. i thought no one could be so stupid
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ there's no point in buying a fake gibson like that, it's guaranteed to be crap.

well, i wouldn't have it shipped. i'd only buy it if i were purchasing it in person. and then id be able to see that for myself. if it was crap, i obviously wouldn't waste money on it. but if it was as good as (or better than) other guitars in its price range, i'd buy it.
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
Quote by Farether
just buy an epiphone, it will be much better than those fake ones and still pretty cheap

i already own an epiphone les paul. i said id buy it just for the heck of it (if it's cheap and plays OK).
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ there's no point in buying a fake gibson like that, it's guaranteed to be crap. buy a japanese copy if you want a good gibson-esque guitar, but don't want to buy a gibson.

ACTUALLY... The craftsmanship on those guitars is NOT bad... They are basswood bodies, and have decent paintjobs and inlays. The only rough part of them is the hardware.. not the best. But for a cheap LP looking guitar that you wanna mess around with... Why not?
Quote by FlamingYouth
well, i wouldn't have it shipped. i'd only buy it if i were purchasing it in person. and then id be able to see that for myself. if it was crap, i obviously wouldn't waste money on it. but if it was as good as (or better than) other guitars in its price range, i'd buy it.

i think id buy one just for the heck of it, it might become a collectors item when gibson takes over the world and enslaves all of mankind

BTW threadstarer, their r tons of fake threads too.i dont appreciate plagerism http://reviews.ebay.com/How-to-spot-a-fake-Gibson-Les-Paul_W0QQugidZ10000000001322912

stop making pointless threads
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Last edited by shredhead22 at Oct 17, 2007,
i've seen fake fenders (some more convincing than others), gibson and ibanez guitars on the net. also the pics are stupid, i've seen the same pics copied and pasted across all the websites i've seen these on.

its not just china though, a few months ago i think there was some person in america busted for making counterfeits and selling them on as real gibsons. its mainly gibson that are copied, but there are a few others too, i've even seen fake epiphones.

the funniest one was when an ebay seller from china had the item named "lovely fender stratocaster electric guitar"... and the picture was a gibson les paul (probably a fake) with a black and white "bullseye" pattern on it...

EDIT: @shredhead22: lol the irony of this thread
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Oct 17, 2007,
Quote by Don_Humpador
Fixed

Ideally, you should put ways to spot fake Fenders and perhaps one or two other companies. Then, my friend, you have a proper article, maybe worthy of a sticky or a formal review...

And good on you for doing this in the first place.

LOL.....u serious? did no one see my post? he didn't do anything...he copied and pasted an actual review and used someone else's written opinion to get cheers on UG.

sorry if i sound like an ass but i don't like giving credit to someone who didn't actually earn it
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Last edited by shredhead22 at Oct 17, 2007,
Quote by shredhead22
LOL.....u serious? did no one see my post? he didn't do anything...he copied and pasted an actual review to get cheers on UG.

sorry if i sound like an ass but i don't like giving credit to someone who didn't actually earn it

Right, thanks for clearing that up Could you post the original link?

And TS, I have lost all respect for you.

Boo. Hiss.
Quote by Don_Humpador
Could you post the original link?

linked in my first post
Quote by pedaler466

Quote by Yngwi3

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Quote by shredhead22
linked in my first post

Thanks, didn't see it. Was too busy praising him. My mistake huh
I just hope they don't start making fake PRSs, or I'd commit suicide!
Quote by buckethead_jr
I didn't think they had metal in the 1790's

Quote by Guitarislife125
Copper is a metal

Quote by buckethead_jr
Ah, touche.
Quote by shredhead22
BTW threadstarer, their r tons of fake threads too.i dont appreciate plagerism http://reviews.ebay.com/How-to-spot-a-fake-Gibson-Les-Paul_W0QQugidZ10000000001322912

stop making pointless threads

+1

thanks for pointing that out.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've read in a few places that these fakes aren't terrible quality and make good guitars to customize.
Quote by eXperiment63
ACTUALLY... The craftsmanship on those guitars is NOT bad... They are basswood bodies, and have decent paintjobs and inlays. The only rough part of them is the hardware.. not the best. But for a cheap LP looking guitar that you wanna mess around with... Why not?

That might be true, and you might think it would be a cool guitar to mess around with but not only is it illegal what they're doing, but it is also illegal to own a counterfeit object, be it money, guitars, amps, any products.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio