I have looked at quite a few tabs for this song and I am trying to figure out exactly how this section of the song is played...

E :----5----8-------|
B :--3--------8-----|
G :5-----/8-----9--|
D :----------------0|
A :------------------|
E :------------------|

Does the above mean you slide from 5 to 8 after sweeping the first three notes? Also my power tabbed version says to let the last 4 notes ring... but it sounds as if only the open D string is ringing in the song...

Rh. Fig. 1
E :| ------------------|
B :| ------------------|
G :| 2-----/7-~----- |
D :| --0-0------------|
A :| ------------------|
E :| ------------------|

Same with this one, sliding from 2 to 7?

I do realize that you're supposed to listen to the song and play it the way you like to play it blah blah blah but I want to know the actual correct way of playing it as Megadeth does. Thanks in advance.
Quote by drbobbo

Does the above mean you slide from 5 to 8 after sweeping the first three notes?

Yes, that's exactly what you do, although you don't have to slide from 5, you can slide from anywhere before the 8th fret.

Quote by drbobbo
Also my power tabbed version says to let the last 4 notes ring... but it sounds as if only the open D string is ringing in the song...

You let the three notes ring together, and you stop letting them ring when you hit the open D, if that makes sense.

Quote by drbobbo

Same with this one, sliding from 2 to 7?

Yep.

Well kind of. You don't have to slide from 2 to 7, you can slide from anywhere below 7 to 7, since it doesn't notate a number to slide from.
Last edited by buckethead_jr at Oct 17, 2007,
First, thanks a lot man I appreciate the quick response... one last question

Quote by buckethead_jr
You let the three notes ring together, and you stop letting them ring when you hit the open D, if that makes sense.

so to clarify, you play them as a sweep (without muting as you switch strings) letting them ring together until you mute them all as you play open D then mute D and repeat in time?
^ Yeah, that's right.

Except you don't mute the open D, you just leave that to ring until the next note is played (i.e only mute it when you are about to play another note).
Quote by buckethead_jr
^ Yeah, that's right.

Except you don't mute the open D, you just leave that to ring until the next note is played (i.e only mute it when you are about to play another note).

thanks again man, can't wait to go home and try playing it that way