I'm not sure anymore. When I was a kid and I'd see a band (any band) playing on tv and stuff, I'd think whoa they must be rich and famous, but now that I'm older and there's all this downloading going on, I'm thinking, do they make any money at all?

I know for some it's only about the music, but they have to live right?

Anyways just wonderin
Through concerts, and if the cd does well enough royalties. Though for most artist they really are in it for the music.
Quote by 40oz2freeedom
just ask her to touch her toes naked....shell never expect whats next
Quote by Deliriumbassist
put it this way... Angela Gossow of Arch Enemy works a day job.

No way! what does she do?
Quote by Deliriumbassist

I don't consider most metalers to be "rock stars". I think they are, by definition, wealthy. I don't think Chad Kroeger is bagging groceries somewhere...or even clipping his own toenails.
^
Of course they make money, but selling themselves out
Ok seriously, of course they make money...
depends on how muchg they tour, make videos, come on the radio, ...
I think they A LOT less on CDs these days tough

--------------------
-------------------
------------------
-----------------
----------------
---------------

I can tell you that in Israel, almost all musician, especially young musicians, work day jobs and earn almost nothing from CD sales.
strat player forever.
They do make money, it just takes a while.
The longer the band is around = more publicity, albums, air time etc
And of course, the better the band the more people will put money into the band eg gigs, cds, t- shirts.
Some quotes from Angela Gossow in the 29th Sept issue of Kerrang. "Arch enemy sells 200,000 copies of each record, I can hardly pay my rent from that ... I cant even afford a car ... we make a living from this but only just ... every month I make only £800.
Quote by LinkManDX
That's it, everybody go home, thread won by [sam].
I think this is why a lot of bands fail to make it. They dont make money and give up on it.

That, or they suck and record labels drop them or ignore them.
Where the hell is my signature????

i know it sucks but i dont care
Quote by Deliriumbassist

I was just thinking that. Bastard. You read Kerrang too.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by blueyoshi
No way! what does she do?

I heard she's a journalist.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Contrary to popular belief, rock stars aren't hurt much by downloading. Musical performers make much more money from touring than from selling recordings. The people that are hurt by downloading are record esecutives, producers, session players, arrangers, etc., that is, people who actually make their living from records.

So yes, rock stars still make money.
Death to Ovation haters!
Rock stars make a shitload of money. Have you seen Tommy Lee's house? All you need to do is go to the UG front page and look at Marilyn Manson selling his million-dollar home.

The things is that not every member of a rock band is a rock star. But rock stars obviously make tons of money. It's inherent in the label.
i can't imagine anyone even half good working a day job, they must make enought money..
yes most "rock stars" make a LOT of money. if they're in a successful band playing to 20k crowds for $40 a person, they're making some money even if they have to split it with various people.
my gear: ibanez destroyer( with gibson 500t pickup), epiphone les paul plus,ampeg electric, marshall jcm2000 triple super lead half stack