I'm thinking of selling my AD30VT, DSL401 and MT-2 (ick) to pay for half of a new ENGL Screamer 50 combo. I'm most interested in a versatile amp that is fairly easy to get a good sound on. With the Vox I felt like I wasted a lot of time trying to dial in a pleasing sound. I'm most interested in a warm, tight, high-gain distortion. I think the hardest stuff I play is either Metallica or Muse. (For Muse I'd probably augment the amp with a fuzz pedal of some sort). I'm not going to play super-hard death metal, so it doesn't need to be one of the upper-end ENGL's. Will this amp cover those styles well?

Unfortunately, it is really hard to find one of these to play on in the States. I'm pretty much just buying it based on YouTube soundclips, recordings, and general consensus on this board. Anyone have any post-honeymoon impressions of the amp? All the reviews check out on it, but if there are minor issues, I'd like to know.
i don't define myself by what silly groups i join.
The amp is awesome. Sparkly cleans, good gain. It's really quite trebly though, but it doesn't struggle with getting warm tones if your guitar is suitable. It's far better than the DSL401 IMO.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
I own and use an ENGL screamer combo and I like it. But one thing I have noticed is that it takes a long time to get to know it. It is kinda trebly on the heavy lead channel, and it takes a long time to know how to dial it away as the EQ on it is very responsive (I use an EQ-pedal to help me). The second thing is that on its own it doesn't have enough gain for me so I have to boost it with my EQ-pedal. But it should do a bearable metallica rythm.
But I really adore its clean channel for everything!
all the "problems" posted by Akrabben can be solved, if you buy an Engl fireball..only a fiew doughs more..you won't regret it!!!
Well, how does the Fireball compare? More gain? Is it still as versatile as the Screamer?

I want to love what I buy.
i don't define myself by what silly groups i join.
it wont take you a long time to get to know the fireball, since it has less setting options
for me its perfect, cause the fireball will sound awsome with any preset!!!
yes the fireball has more gain than the screamer though i have to say, that the screamer is more versatile...since you have more settings...
im playing mostly metallica and black sabbath with the fireball and i have to say that its perfect
for that kind of stuff!
the screamer is an awsome amp too, but i chose the fireball, cause it had more gain (and i didn't want to take my metal muff again) and in my ears he simply sounded better

but i guess you'll have to try them out!!!

p.s.: maybe the engl blackmore would be perfect for you...its more versatile than the fireball
and has more gain than the screamer...
Quote by MrCarrot
The amp is awesome. Sparkly cleans, good gain. It's really quite trebly though, but it doesn't struggle with getting warm tones if your guitar is suitable. It's far better than the DSL401 IMO.

+1

my only concern is where you said "warm".

EDIT: ^ +1 on the blackmore, it's also warmer-sounding than the screamer. Only downside is it only comes in head form, so you'd have to budget for a cab (framus 2x12 is possibly your best bet, at £200 or so on thomann. engls should be cheaper on there too, though you'll most likely have to buy your own plug).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?