Hi guys, after endless research and youtube lessons, the answer to my question is obviously TOO obvious to consider mentioning, so I'm still in the dark.

Ok here goes, I've learnt minor + major pentatonic scales, can play them very quickly, no problem and I feel I'm getting better at using the scales to make noise that sounds remotely like a guitar lead line. HOWEVER, my question is where the **** do I play the scale on the guitar?

Example: other guitar is playing E A B blues, I want to improvise a solo over the top. Do I...?

a) change where I play the scale every chord? ie: during A chord i play on the 5th fret, 7th B, 12th E etc.

b) do something else?

Someone please answer my ridiculously noob question :-D

Thanks, Sean
You could change per chord or you could keep it in in the same.
See its not about learning scales, thats no good at all.
Understand the scales.
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
that's the point, I am trying to understand! When you say keep it the same, what do you mean? The same key? What key is E A B blues in? E?
Quote by SeanT
that's the point, I am trying to understand! When you say keep it the same, what do you mean? The same key? What key is E A B blues in? E?

Keep it the ssame as in, if the song changes to A for a period of time, you can change to scales of A etc... or you could keep it in a previous scale if the new chord falls in the right key.

You could do it in E if it sounds right to you
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Learn your modes. Using different modes gives you a different "feel" depending on how you use it. Emphasize the root notes of darker modes (The Minor scale, Locrian, I think Phyrgian is a dark sounding one, I get the names confused sometimes so look it up), over darker sounding chords, like minor ones. Using darker modes with minor chords, and other ones as well, makes it "fit" better. Like playing in key, but more advanced. Using Dorian and Ionian for major chords, etc. Look up modes, learn them, then look up how/when to use them.
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language

I don't think you understand what I mean, before I can even begin to think about stuff like that I need to know where on the neck to start.
That's what modes are, a starting point of where to play on the neck. Different positions of the major scale are very similar to modes, that's how I finally came to understand them. I was playing around with the G Major scale at the fifth fret, and I noticed on my modes/scales poster that the Dorian mode was identical. Different scale positions, starting at different root notes, are what modes are. Once you understand them, you'll be able to determine where to play on the neck over whatever chords are being played.
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language