Ok so I know nothing about running an effects loop. I notice that most people say that it's better to run pedals through an effects loops though. I have a Boss pedal tuner and a Boss noise suppressor currently. I'm planning on buying a BBE sonic stomp. Whenever I used to run my noise pedal through my effects loop, it didn't really work. I don't know if I did something wrong or what. Could someone map out the effective way of running these pedals? Thanks guys.
Buy a better amp.

That can be the answer to almost every problem in this forum... But dont flame me if you already have a kickass amp, because then I dont know what you could do. Try Gear building and customizing I guess...
Quote by JeysisKrist
Buy a better amp.

That can be the answer to almost every problem in this forum... But dont flame me if you already have a kickass amp, because then I dont know what you could do. Try Gear building and customizing I guess...

WTF? You fail.

Noise gates, O.D/Distortion and WahWah pedals are not to be placed within the FX loop. Stuff like chorus, flanger and phaser is ok. What amp have you got out of curiosity?
yeah, typically you want tuner first, then any wah/OD/dist/compressor/boost effects before teh amp. then put your reverb, modulation(phaser/flanger/env.filter/etc.) and delay in teh effects loop. what an effects loop does is seperate you pre and power amps. putting boxes in the loop effects your already preamped signal, as supposed to effecting your input signal, to be pre and power amped with the effects already applied. certain effects sound better AFTER the pre amp. holy grail reverb for example, on my setup, sounds awful in line, but when placed in the effects loop, sounds great. really, its just a matter of experiemntation. but that typical roadmap is a good place to start. whether your wah comes before or after distortion is a matter of which wah and which distortion/OD. usually wah comes first, but i've heard with some of the older crybabies that distortion sounds better before it. happy plugging!

EDIT: almost didnt answer your question. a noise gate will go in line, not in the loop. a BBE maximizer is under several debates, so try it first in line, last in line, first in loop, and last in loop and see what you get. i would personally suggest putting it where you would put your EQ pedal, either first or last inline.
SG
Thunderverb 50
Foot Computers
Beer and snacks
Scenery
Last edited by Y0UNGBL00D at Oct 17, 2007,
stick the BBE in the last of the effects loop. btw, where do u live? if ur in the US, i got a sonic stomp for sale at my junkyard.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
EC, i checked your junkyard. FINALLY someone cleared up that the sonic stomp is more effective on SS amps. everyone seemed to sort of sidestep the issue, i tihnk in the attempt at keeping their tube-amp owning demographic. but i've always felt that there should a big fat warning label on it "if your amp is all tube, you may be wasting your money"
i find it works good in PAs and mixers though. good pedal.
SG
Thunderverb 50
Foot Computers
Beer and snacks
Scenery
^yea. it does. PAs, mixers, vocals, keyboards. it works on some tube amps with like... mismatched impedance or something lol. but it really does turn fender frontmans into a david gilmour machine.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard