Ok well earlier I was recording myself and just messing with the audio track on a free program called audacity. google it and download!

ok well i stumbled upon a feature that it has which is SOOO valuable. Under "Effects" there is an option called "Change Tempo" which lets you change the tempo of anything WITHOUT changing the pitch one bit. So go ahead, if any song is giving you trouble just open it in audacity and slow it down. practice then slowly speed up (obviously)! This can also help you tab out songs too. Such a great tool with great benefits!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW, if everyone already knows about this sorry. Also I'm guessing there are alternatives but this is free and convenient so I thought I would post it up!
Last edited by JordanRRR at Oct 17, 2007,
Quote by ObsceneGestures
Guitar Pro > That.

except you can play with the actual song using this. i kinda like that part better but thats just me.
Did I say they were the same thing? Hmm, let's see... "which lets you change the tempo of anything WITHOUT changing the pitch one bit. So go ahead, if any song is giving you trouble just open it in audacity and slow it down. practice then slowly speed up"

Sounds to me to be pretty much exactly what one does in Guitar Pro: speed trainer. Only Guitar Pro does a helluva lot more than that...
Genius may have its limitations; stupidity is not thus handicapped.
Quote by ObsceneGestures
Did I say they were the same thing? Hmm, let's see... "which lets you change the tempo of anything WITHOUT changing the pitch one bit. So go ahead, if any song is giving you trouble just open it in audacity and slow it down. practice then slowly speed up"

Sounds to me to be pretty much exactly what one does in Guitar Pro: speed trainer. Only Guitar Pro does a helluva lot more than that...

isnt guitar pro all midi? Can you drop in an audio file (like the original track)... and manipulate that?
But midi and mp3 aren't the same thing.
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.
Audacity = Free
Guitar Pro = Not Free
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Quote by El Cumanés
Audacity = Free
Guitar Pro = Not Free

Plus by using Audacity you're actually transcribing the song for yourself which is more beneficial than just learning from someone else's transcription
Quote by DarTHie
But midi and mp3 aren't the same thing.

My point exactly. I wanted to see what Obscene would say.

They are 2 different programs. what jordan is talking about in Audacity IS cool, and cant be done in Gp as far as I know..... thats what I was getting at.
Cool, I never knew about that! Practising to midi and not the real thing is kind of annoying.
With the RSE on guitar pro it still sounds pretty cool, obviously not the same as an mp3 file. in guitar pro you can change the tempo of the track, you can also make it so it loops the song and increases it's speed each time. helps quite a bit.
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
Quote by Stash Jam
Plus by using Audacity you're actually transcribing the song for yourself which is more beneficial than just learning from someone else's transcription

Exactly.
i downloaded a program "Bestpractice" which is supposed to do the same thing. I havent gotten around to actually using it though so idk how it works, but i hear its good.
Thanks for posting this! Regardless of if people knew about it already or not, you're trying to help the other musician's here on UG.
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
Quote by ObsceneGestures
Guitar Pro > That.

Idiot. Use your ears instead > guitar pro.

Actual music instead of midi (and RSE) > guitar pro.
Member #8 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
Quote by ObsceneGestures
Guitar Pro > That.

Toasters > Crock Pots

They are two different things.
4 strings good, 6 strings bad.
I just used this too, because I couldn't find a Guitar Pro tab for a song. Works great. Singers in slow motion can be quite funny though.